Specialized Kenevo Chain Wear

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all, anyone experiencing accelrated chain wear with Specialized Kenevo Comp 2019 model? - I measured the chain with a Park Tool Chain Checker CC-3.2 and it's possible to push the tool into the chain links on the 0.5 side (not the 0.75), normally between 0.5 & 0.75 is when I'd replace my road bike chains. I have only done 40 miles on the bike and my sons Trek LT7 has done exactly the same rides and had the same cleaning/lubing etc. and is showing no signs of wear.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
More than 0.5 seems extreme wear for 40 miles. I'd take it back to the shop, or at least report it. The next thing to go when a chain is worn is the gears. A worn chain is like mechanical AIDS. so you are right to take it seriously.

I am a bit anal when it comes to chain wear, so when I fit a brand new chain I measure it with a vernier caliper gauge in 8 different places around the chain and then average them. I have noticed that the measurements can vary quite a bit. This is not my accuracy at work, because my measurements are repeatable. For a mass produced item, chains do vary more than I would have thought. Maybe if you tried the chain gauge in different places you might get a different result.

The other thing to think about is your cadence. Low cadences generally mean high pressure on the pedal, which means high tension in the chain. This will increase the friction forces in the transmission and accelerate wear. This is why kids almost never wear out their chains, whilst huge guys that stamp on the pedals and hero heave their bikes up the hills are nearly always wearing out chains and cassettes at a fast rate.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Cheers Steve unfortunately bought the bike mail order but I will get in touch with the dealer and see what they say. In the meantime I think I'll replace the chain with a new one and see how it does in comparison.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Update: I filled in the warranty form on the KMC website and they got back to me within 8 hours to say, "...since you have a very new type of chain and Specialized has received the very first deliveries, we would like to check this here. We will send you a new chain today and would ask you to return the original chain to us right after you have received the replacement." The shop I bought the bike from said they'd had no other reported problems from any other owners, so hopefully just a bad chain. - Top service from KMC!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That is impressive on the face of it.

But it sounds like KMC or Specialized are testing new kit on their customers. If they don't complain, it must be OK. That's alright then! :(

Bigbarper

Jul 10, 2018
Horsham, West Sussex.
Update: I filled in the warranty form on the KMC website and they got back to me within 8 hours to say, "...since you have a very new type of chain and Specialized has received the very first deliveries, we would like to check this here. We will send you a new chain today and would ask you to return the original chain to us right after you have received the replacement." The shop I bought the bike from said they'd had no other reported problems from any other owners, so hopefully just a bad chain. - Top service from KMC!
Out of interest which chain model did they send out ?
I have just put my second chain (KMC 11e) on my Kenevo in 6 months.....

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Out of interest which chain model did they send out ?
I have just put my second chain (KMC 11e) on my Kenevo in 6 months.....

They sent out the 11e model. It's also showing 0.5% wear after only 80 miles too! I'm just getting back in touch with KMC to see what they suggest. How many miles are you getting out of your chains? My average ride so far has been 20-25 miles, 2000-2500 feet of climbing. Bike is washed, cleaned and lubed each ride. Just like my other bikes with chains that are lasting far longer!

Bigbarper

Jul 10, 2018
Horsham, West Sussex.
They sent out the 11e model. It's also showing 0.5% wear after only 80 miles too! I'm just getting back in touch with KMC to see what they suggest. How many miles are you getting out of your chains? My average ride so far has been 20-25 miles, 2000-2500 feet of climbing. Bike is washed, cleaned and lubed each ride. Just like my other bikes with chains that are lasting far longer!
Good question, no idea re mileage I'm out on it most days. Reckon I have a robust chain cleaning and lubing technique going as other bike chains last a long time.
Going to make more effort to use higher cadences and less grinding, see how that goes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles