spares carrying - on bike/backpack recommendations

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
what things do people use to carry bare essentials for trips (spare tube, tubeless plugs, pump)? - links to good bags/under saddle/on frame carriers. or suitable rucksack etc welcomed. I have a good backpack with waist water bladder, but don't always want even that bulk with me.....

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
In action...
267928117.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've got a dakine hot laps
Same.
Mine holds 2x tubes, 2x Co2, Co2 head, patch kit, a quid coin, multitool, quicklink and spare mech hanger (overkill).
longer rides I wear a Karimor runners waterbottle waist belt with a 500ml bottle .Also has a small pocket for snacks/cash. £7.99-£9.99 from Sports Direct/Online.
Phone in my pocket or occasionally on an upper bicep mounted runners phone strap/case thing.

I don't really need to drink on rides unless it's really hot or over 3hrs (actual riding time) E assisted I don't need to drink at all and also don't ever wear a jacket or gloves so never need to pack any extra clothing ever so never wear a bigger pack unless I'm guiding a group.(even then I hate it)

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
This is sort of an asshole thing to do, but if im out with friends i pack way less since i know they'll have a multi-tool, tire levers, pump, ext. But ill make sure i pack a tube

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
looks good. Used to ride with a Lowe bum bag which couldn't carry water, but now I think of it there's an underused running one I have somewhere that carries 2 bottles either side and a few odds in between, which I could use. Mind you, the colour will clash :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I used to have some random fanny pack from Spurts Direct until an unscheduled dismount ripped the belt out of it. I preferred it to my Camelbak rucksack even though it sometimes got caught on the saddle when starting off.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Is that what the quid coin is for?
Hahaha... drink in Scotland is cheap... but not THAT cheap.

The quid is an old roadie habit I've never given up incase of major bonk/mechanical and incase of emergency carbs/drink or phone call (from a phone box. I did say OLD habit)

I have an emergency fiver in my roadie STi hoods nowadays so it's not even needed.

Should probably have said. My phone is always in one of those protective silicon cases and always has a bank card in behind the phone (often has a tenner/twenty quid note in with it too if I'm headed somewhere uncivilized).

I used to have some random fanny pack from Spurts Direct until an unscheduled dismount ripped the belt out of it.
Mine did that too. My awesome GF sewed it back on for me and it's now stronger than ever.
carried my fullface strapped to it most of the weekend. (while climbing)
I wear mine with the bottle at the side. I'd need to get pretty out of shape to catch it on my saddle while riding.

it's one of these:
karrimor_bottle_belt_1529896319_2947edac.jpg

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I carry tube, levers and Co2 in a Soma Stash bottle in the cage, then I have a Blackburn Plugger strapped to the back of the seat tube, phone in a shorts or jacket pocket. I'd only take a Camelbak/Osprey with water on rides over 1.5 to two hours.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My phone is always in one of those protective silicon cases and always has a bank card in behind the phone (often has a tenner/twenty quid note in with it too if I'm headed somewhere uncivilized).
Good to know. Contactless? ;)

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
This is sort of an asshole thing to do, but if im out with friends i pack way less since i know they'll have a multi-tool, tire levers, pump, ext. But ill make sure i pack a tube

Sigh. Part of the reason I carry a pack full of junk is because of my idiot mates that can't maintain their bikes and don't carry spares.

Typically I carry pump, shock pump, 2x tubes, puncture patches, multitool, first aid kit, snacks, carb gels, spare mech hanger. My camelback seems to always have a fiver in the top pocket, no idea how they get there, maybe it's where fivers come from. With Apple pay I tend not to carry a card, otherwise I just ride with a mate who owes me lunch :)

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
Sigh. Part of the reason I carry a pack full of junk is because of my idiot mates that can't maintain their bikes and don't carry spares.
It's easily solved though. Just tell them that you're taking your own stuff, and let them walk..... it won't happen again.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
After todays ride I'm adding 'tow rope' to the list ?

Cooldaddygroove

Jul 11, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I've tried waist packs and find they bounce up and down when I am on trails. Went back to tried and true backpack, smallest i could find, with the bonus of a spine protector. People complain about weight, sweaty back etc, but I never notice the weight, and I like the security of back protection. My first aid kit is probably the bulkiest thing in my bag, followed by a spare tube, pump, tool, and snacks.

I need a place to put a jacket/mid-layer in when I get hot, not sure where that would go on a waist pack.

PS: I'm one of those riders that stops and picks up any trash on the trails............

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I've tried waist packs and find they bounce up and down when I am on trails. Went back to tried and true backpack, smallest i could find, with the bonus of a spine protector. People complain about weight, sweaty back etc, but I never notice the weight, and I like the security of back protection. My first aid kit is probably the bulkiest thing in my bag, followed by a spare tube, pump, tool, and snacks.

I need a place to put a jacket/mid-layer in when I get hot, not sure where that would go on a waist pack.

PS: I'm one of those riders that stops and picks up any trash on the trails............
I agree, doing the same. Using a backpack with spine protector

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've tried waist packs and find they bounce up and down when I am on trails.
Badly fitting ones do
large ones do
heavily filled ones do.

ride light (only carrying bare essentials) with a small waist pack and they don't.

I never ever ride in a jacket but they can be rolled up and tied around your waist (above your waist pack)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'd like to think we all were.

Sadly it's not the case though.
:confused:
Luckily for me we were able to fashion a tow rope out of a discarded inner tube that some asshat had draped over a gate.

Reactions: Dax

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
Depends on your bike but on the 2018 Levo there is room above the battery to pack a tube in the upper section of the downtube. You need to wrap the tube is something to protect it from abrasion. I use a heavy nylon/mylar vacuum sealed bag. In my case it's a regular 27.5 tube not one of the big heavy plus style as I'm just using it to get home and get the tubeless back in order.

I put a tool bottle in the water bottle cage. I use the Elite Byasi, but it is nothing special and likely you could find or make a better one. I put my CO2, patch kit and plugs, spare chain and other heavy tools in here to keep the weight off my back.

I ride in the wilderness so I need water, and emergency supplies, first aid kit etc. I use an old Camelbak Mule, that I hope to upgrade this year for this stuff.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles