Spare tube storage.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
My neck is kinda shit so I keep weight off my back and try to keep it all on the bike. Recently my buddy flatted and I went to use my tube and it had split and wouldn't hold air. It was strapped to my frame exposed to the elements. Now I'm thinking that there must be a better way. Is that way a super clean probably great tube tightly wrapped in aluminum foil to block all solar radiation and then covered by some kind of plastic to keep oxygen from aging it. A nitrogen sealed bag with a tube set in up in it might be ideal to strap on. Other than that I plan on tossing a.strapped tube maybe once a year.

16374624304981203692242982763224.jpg

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Seriously though dude . What about canisters? I got caught out the other week and had to walk the bike about 5 kms . Actually wasn't so bad . Better than being at home cooking dinner . Maybe if I had canisters I might of been able to blow the Seriously wrecked tyre back onto the rim .

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
My point is that a tube strapped onto a frame and forgotten probably won't work. 2 of 2 failed. I put new ones I tested on each bike. Yes covered . How long will each will last is impossible to tell unless they are repeatedly tested.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l keep a spare tube rolled up in an
aerosol lid in my backpack.

I've never had any trouble with this method and recently used the tube after it had been in my back pack for over a year.

It needs to be a lightweight tube and the 2.8" tubes are too large to fit in. But for my 2.3" 27.5" it works fine.
Note GT85 lids are too small !! You'll need to pinch the lid off something larger under your sink.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I use a fanny pack to carry all my crap (Pump, inflator, bacon bits, some tools, car keys, wallet etc.). I use Cushcore so there is no point in carrying a spare tube. I have something like this but don't use the water bladder. It keeps the weight down low and offsets the spare tire I carry in the front ;)

Camelbak Repack LR 4 | Jenson USA

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have been folding up tubes and adding a few rubber bands or zip ties to hold them in place. Then they go in the back pack section that is open to the elements and consequently the build-up of mud, leaves, grit etc. The tubes can be in there for years apart from the occasional Spring clean. I run tubeless, so I don't get may reasons to need a tube, but when I do, I NEED one. So far (touch wood) the tubes have always worked. It has never occurred to me that they may perish or get damaged. If I had given it any thought at all, I would have assumed that being in my backpack was an easy life compared to the pressured and stressed environment that exists inside an mtb tyre.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Yes I understand that if ya keep your tube protected in either a backpack or waist pack, other than the poster who keeps things in an outer pocket of his backpack, I carry neither. In my left front pocket on the left is my car keys and a ziplock of a money credit card and photocopy of my driver's licence. Other pocket is surgical gloves and a n95 mask. All other items are attached to the bike. I am considering a smaller tube for a get back home ride rear is a 27.5 x 3.0. I've got a 29 x 1.9-2.3 tube that might work. Or get a 27.5 x 2.3. not sure if I feel like a trial until it's time to actually put new rubber on. A smaller tube will stow better on the very limited space of a 18 meta power ext batt m8000 set up

duk916

Jul 12, 2018
New Zealand
Small bum bag, enough room for tube gas ect a few chew PLB on the strap around the waste. This works well for me, can carry a waterproof top in if needed.

BadgerHun7er

Jan 1, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Cyclopath - I have experienced exactly the same as going tubeless means I rarely need a tube, in fact never in over 8 years. The cheapest and simpliest answer is to continue with what you do now (to avoid any extra weight in your pack) but set a reminder on your phone to check and replace the tubes every 6 months. That will sort you out and only cost you a few quid per year.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Tubolito have arrived and I thought you all might like to see them compared to what I was using before.

First some numbers
Conventional tube
27.5 x 2.8 = 325g (tyre is a 2.6)
29 x 2.5 = 239g (tyre is a 2.5)

Tubolito
27.5 x 2.5 = 47g
29 x 2.5 = 48g

OK, 469g of weight (16.5 ounces or just over a pound in weight) is not massive on an emtb, but it is the volume I am most interested in. See the pics. Look how thin the material is!
Tubolito 1.jpg
Tubolito 2.jpg

PS: The loose valve looks as though it will screw into the hollow stem on the tube. The hole at the bottom of that tube is very small, no way any sealant will flow down that, in case you were so minded. A valve key is included in the pack.
If you haven't realised already, I have a mullet bike. Both tubes will go into a zip-type sandwich bag and, I hope, will forever lurk at the bottom of my backpack.

I bought the 2 x S-TUBO MTB for €32.90 each plus €8.25 shipping for the pair. So they work out at €37 each or £31.50 each. That is a huge amount for a tube that I hope never to have to use. But I am paying for the convenience of very much smaller and lighter tubes. Well, not ME paying actually, Santa is paying! :ROFLMAO:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I carry 2 spare tubes on the bike in a Dakine frame pack along with CO2 and a few tools.
The tubes are Maxxis flyweight 95g & £8.99 each and rol up nice n small too.
They are super thin butyl. So even the 26" version will stretch to fit a 29er. If that's your perversion. 😏
Obviously they're not super durable. But they're only there as a bail out in the event of a tubeless failure.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I carry 2 spare tubes on the bike in a Dakine frame pack along with CO2 and a few tools.
They are super thin butyl. So even the 26" version will stretch to fit a 29er. If that's your perversion. 😏
Obviously they're not super durable. But they're only there as a bail out in the event of a tubeless failure.
Only £8.99!! That makes the Tubolitos look seriously expensive. But the Tubolitos are supposed to be durable. I hope I never have to find out.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent

I've got a Dakine Gripper for tube / C02's. well handy. (y)

OEM tubes are quite bulky though so just done a quick search on the flyweights as looks a good option to save space. I'm guessing if the 26' stretches to 29' no bother the 1.9-2.1 on a 29 wont be an issue for the 2.6 tyres?

or a 27.5 and 2.1 which i can see in stock

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No.
But a stretched out tube obviously becomes ever thinner and is obviously less durable.
I don't run tubes that light/thin. They're just for getting back/finishing a ride.
So make sure not to run them anywhere near pinch able pressures.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
No.
But a stretched out tube obviously becomes ever thinner and is obviously less durable.
I don't run tubes that light/thin. They're just for getting back/finishing a ride.
So make sure not to run them anywhere near pinch able pressures.

thanks
Yeah that's all mine are for! saving the walk of shame. if i've had a proper tire failure it's call it a day and head home time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles