SpaceX

Kilham5

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
In this age of mediocrity that we live in, it is so refreshing to see a tiny glimmer of relief in pioneering science.

SpaceX and Elon's gang as well as NASA, and other countries doing their thing.

First test flight of Starship just ultimately failed.
(Which, true to form is the only bit the BBC and rest of media focuses on)
But so impressive what they achieved and learned.

Looks to me like they ran the test on only three of the designed six engines.
So they probably sacrificed redundancy for the test.
If you look at the footage in those final seconds, it looks like only two of the three engines re-ignited for the final burn. Perhaps it just didn't have enough thrust to slow down enough before meeting the pad.

But they will be immensely satisfied the aero worked, the final flip worked and they got it back to the pad.
Just a real shame that one engine appears to have failed to re-ignite.

Edit: Zimm provides the answer (y)

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
First test flight of Starship just ultimately failed.
There have been several failures .. some of the early ones were quite catastrophic. They needed these to test and learn and each iteration has been tested until it's failed.

This latest flight went really well and achieved most of what they wanted .. They just came in a bit hot :)

And yes, that unit was running only 3 of it's normal 6 engines/motors. Eventually, it will sit atop it's main booster - which will consist of 28 !!! Raptor engines ... TWENTY EIGHT !!!

It's a beast !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks for that link Zimm
Didn't know that level of analysis was available.
Stunning.
Scott's videos are always really informative. I see him as the @Rob Rides EMTB of the rocket world. He tells it as it is and they both share similar colour tastes .. you can see it in Scott's bathrobe, or Rob's hope parts and Purple bikes ... :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Zimmerframe is always hating on Americans.
It's true, I mean - Rockets ! for sending people into space, they've always been big ! But now with the average American level of obesity being so high, Rockets have to be FREEKIN HUGE ! ?

I'm surprised it's not sponsored by McD's .. it could be painted up like a 30 level burger ! :ROFLMAO: The Big Mars Mac X

?
?
?
?
?
?
?

Hot dripping cheese could be dribbled down the launch gantry's to get the viewers salivating whilst 100 prime beef cows could be flash flame grilled under the engines ready to be served up to 50 lucky 'mericans .

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Every generation say's "it is all going to the dogs", but thus far it hasn't, despite personally feeling like I live in an age of mediocrity.

However, I think for the first time in our society, due to.
1. Relentless population/geographic/economic pressures.
2. The disaffected and feckless of all races exploiting liberal sensibilities.
3. Our increasing inability to openly discuss difficult subjects without persecution.
Will inevitably be our downfall.

New Zealand for me. Beautiful and sheep.
Yes the sheep are beautiful! ;)
This was similar to my experience with Americans when I was there

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Astonishing level of ignorance. I wonder where in America that survey was carried out and would it have made a difference if say in New York or Washington?

Most Americans do not have a passport.
"According to Census and State Department data, 21.4 million passports were issued in 2016, which is the most ever. That means 42 percent of Americans hold a passport, a growth of 15 percent since 2007. In 1990, only four percent of Americans had one"

That info is dated Jan'18, so its almost 3 years out of date. The % of Americans with a passport could now be higher than 42%.

By contrast In Britain, the percentage is far higher. In 2011 - when the last UK census took place - 76% of people in England and Wales held a UK passport. That was 9 years ago, I have no idea whether the number has gone up or down since then.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
2. The disaffected and feckless of all races exploiting liberal sensibilities.
3. Our increasing inability to openly discuss difficult subjects without persecution.
Keep your political illiteracy to yourself and off this forum, mate. Every single shitty thing that has happened in the world in my lifetime has happened because there's not enough of these things.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well this thread has had some abuse .. so I'm sure it won't mind some more .. anyway .. this is sort of relevant to getting it up and things going wrong requiring anti-depressants ..

I did like this line "Not only will Grandpa not be getting a hard-on if he accidentally takes trazodone, he might fall asleep on his sad drive home from a failed booty call."

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
It's true, I mean - Rockets ! for sending people into space, they've always been big ! But now with the average American level of obesity being so high, Rockets have to be FREEKIN HUGE ! ?

I'm surprised it's not sponsored by McD's .. it could be painted up like a 30 level burger ! :ROFLMAO: The Big Mars Mac X

?
?
?
?
?
?
?

Hot dripping cheese could be dribbled down the launch gantry's to get the viewers salivating whilst 100 prime beef cows could be flash flame grilled under the engines ready to be served up to 50 lucky 'mericans .

2022 Levo?
1607635048230.png

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I always thought chemical rockets were technology we should just abandon until we develop something better.
Theres a mob over here setting up to launch satellites on hypersonic scramjet craft that take off and land as an aircraft. Fuelled by hydrogen made by separating water with solar electricity. Exhaust is water.
Only small payloads into low earth orbit at this stage.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The next ones on the pad and broadcasting live .. not sure if it will go or not as winds are high ..

EDIT : Launch Scrubbed due to high winds.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Fog has cleared .. so we might have a launch today ..

Though at the moment the cameras just watching a liquid nitrogen pressure tank being pressure tested .. so not very exciting ..

Edit : no launch today .. high altitude winds. humbug. Though the tank is being tested until it explodes ...... so that might be fun ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Look like it might finally be a go today. I think it's upto 10km's and then back down again ..

Several different feeds with different angles and different commentary :

At time of Writing they have a 6 hour launch window from now 15:00 CET - but they're still waiting for FAA launch clearance.

EDIT : looks like it's scrubbed due to lack of FAA approval.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looks like there's a good chance of a launch today. SN9 I guess .. or Maybe SN10 .. ?!? wind looks good at the moment. Provisional FAA approval.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles