SOS on Apple Watch.

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
This morning on my ride to work my watch thought I had been in a fall/accident, I did hear a noise but thought it was a house alarm, then in the woods I heard another noise so stopped checked my watch but couldn't see anything, carried on for a bit and then my phone rang, stopped and answered it thinking it was the wife, oh no it was the Metropolitan Police, after telling them what had happened they were fine, they must get this sort of alert a lot, then my wife rang as she also received a message, all was good and now I know it does work, although I don't know why it did this time.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
I'm not that old, I have it on in case I have a big off in the woods.
I've considered turning mine on because I crash so much. I should probably change my name to Mr Crash.

My MIL tripped over a chair at an Easter Dinner a few weeks back. She was OK. A few moments later she was looking around confused as to where the siren was coming from. Which is why we gave her the watch in the first place.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
This morning on my ride to work my watch thought I had been in a fall/accident, I did hear a noise but thought it was a house alarm, then in the woods I heard another noise so stopped checked my watch but couldn't see anything, carried on for a bit and then my phone rang, stopped and answered it thinking it was the wife, oh no it was the Metropolitan Police, after telling them what had happened they were fine, they must get this sort of alert a lot, then my wife rang as she also received a message, all was good and now I know it does work, although I don't know why it did this time.

I found I was triggering the SOS because my wrist was holding down the side button starting the SOS process. I just rotated the watch so the button and crown are on the other side. Problem solved.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I've considered turning mine on because I crash so much. I should probably change my name to Mr Crash.

My MIL tripped over a chair at an Easter Dinner a few weeks back. She was OK. A few moments later she was looking around confused as to where the siren was coming from. Which is why we gave her the watch in the first place.
If you look at the health data it actually keeps track of "hard falls" AKA crashes. I'd say to set your goal low and hope not to be an overachiever.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
From my understanding it only calls if you choose I need help or lay there still for 30 sec or so? That's what mine does anyway.

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
I found I was triggering the SOS because my wrist was holding down the side button starting the SOS process. I just rotated the watch so the button and crown are on the other side. Problem solved.
You can turn off the side button in settings and just leave 'Fall Detection' on.

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
From my understanding it only calls if you choose I need help or lay there still for 30 sec or so? That's what mine does anyway.
Yeah that is correct, I just missed the alarm telling me it was activated.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Its useful but also annoying isnt it! One of my kids (who are young) was messing with my Apple Watch on the nightstand one morning, didnt think anything of it as the watch was locked. Got out of the shower few mins later to find all hell breaking loose - police and ambulance services had both phoned tens of times and one voicemail said they were coming round to check on me! Had to phone and very embarrassingly apologised profusely promising theyd/Id never do it again ?‍♂️

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Its useful but also annoying isnt it! One of my kids (who are young) was messing with my Apple Watch on the nightstand one morning, didnt think anything of it as the watch was locked. Got out of the shower few mins later to find all hell breaking loose - police and ambulance services had both phoned tens of times and one voicemail said they were coming round to check on me! Had to phone and very embarrassingly apologised profusely promising theyd/Id never do it again ?‍♂️
that is crazy. There may be room for improvement, but I bought mine because I was loosing concisions and waking up on the ground due to an AV Block, I now have a pacemaker.

I've read articles about the SOS saving lives as well as one day at Breckenridge ski area the 911 office was getting overwhelmed and backing up their system. Must have been opening day.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My kids got me the iwatch4 a few years ago. I’ve never wore a watch before but now I could tell what time it was as long as the display was digital. An analog watch or clock made no sense to me after my stroke. They picked me up once I could get a temporary pass (3 months in the rehab hospital on my back, then in a wheelchair, then a walker, etc.). Anyways, they wheeled me into Best Buy electronics and fitted me with an iwatch. There was some finger-wagging at me too…don’t know where they got that from??
My ride now is a Rail9.7 and I wear the iwatch all the time. It’s gone into the alert mode three times after crashes…minor, medium and bad. Each time the SOS sequence started I was able to shut it off after I dusted myself off. However there was one time I wish it had gone off and started the calling process to my emergency contacts. Regardless, it’s a bit of added assurance when you ride alone as often as I do.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
This morning on my ride to work my watch thought I had been in a fall/accident,

As cool as this feature seems, I had to turn it off. Throwing a ball, closing the tailgate on my truck, or any number of other daily activities would set it off. It might make sense for an old woman who lives alone, but for me, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
As cool as this feature seems, I had to turn it off. Throwing a ball, closing the tailgate on my truck, or any number of other daily activities would set it off. It might make sense for an old woman who lives alone, but for me, it's more trouble than it's worth.
Mine goes off once in while on a drop or a rough trail, never during every day stuff. Never had an issue.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles