[Solved] Help diagnosing rearend creaking

Cannikin

Oct 15, 2019
San Marcos, CA
For the last couple of weeks I've heard creaking coming from what I thought was the "bottom bracket" area of the bike. I took the motor housing off, didn't see anything weird, sprayed some compressed air in there. Reassembled everything and still heard it. Completely on accident I discovered a new way to make it happen reliably—apply the rear brake and just rock the bike forward and back. I made a video:

What the hell is that and where is it coming from? It kind of sounds like its coming from the middle of the seat stay...maybe the real source is reverberating through it? It's definitely not the brake itself, it's somewhere forward of that. Help!

Additional info: the brake is on TIGHT in that video, is it normal for the rear axle to have that much forward and back play?

Last edited:

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Wow, that's a weird one.
Does it make this sound when you ride? Or when applying the brake when riding?
I can't tell in the video if your brake is a 6 bolt or a centerlock, but I'd check that the disc is tight

Cannikin

Oct 15, 2019
San Marcos, CA
Yup I hear it when pedaling, especially in high torque situations, which is why I thought it was the crank area, but from this experiment it seems like it’s the rear triangle somehow.

I have a six bolt, I’ll try taking the wheel off and tightening, but I’m pretty sure the sound wasn't coming from there...

Last edited:

NGreen

Mar 15, 2019
Orange County, California
So it makes the noise while riding and no pressure on the brakes?

It’s hard to get anything from the video. I did notice when you pointed the camera/phone towards the rear of the bike the noise was louder? Assuming you have the tools I would put it up on a bike stand and start moving things around. maybe let the air out of the rear shock and cycle the rear suspension to see if you can find it that way. Another way if you have help is use a stethoscope or a long screwdriver to your ear and touch it to all the pivot points while someone is moving the bike. Noises do eco so don’t rule anything out.

that is a weird one. Good luck and please post what it is when you find it.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I had a creak on mine and it turned out to be the bottom shock mounting bolt

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
What was the remedy? Just tighten that bolt?
Yes I took out the bolt and the hi low Bush, cleaned them and put back together and torque up.
With my creak I could make it happen by pushing sideways on the crank arm, flexing the bike in a side to side motion.

Will Hesch

Dec 3, 2019
My newer Ergon seat was creaking recently. A flat trail I often ride has what moto folks call whoop-de-doos and the up and down motion with creaking was driving me nuts! I decided to call them and ask for some advice or money!

Well, the nut behind the wheel (me) tightened the two bolt thingys that hold the seat in place on the top of the dropper post...sweet sounds of silence.

Often, at least in my case, the problem is nothing but the nut behind the wheel.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
I have two 17' Levos. It is very common for the rear axle bolt to loosen on these bikes. I got to the point where I have to check the tightness after every ride. On one bike I switched to some carbon rims with DT350 hubs. On that bike the rear axle bolt has never loosened up so it has something to do with the stock wheels. Sooner or later it seems everyone with a Levo also breaks the rear axle. Just part of the routine maintenance on an ebike.

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
My Levo started creaking again, popped the shock mount boot out top one.
Bike upside down, suspension fully compressed, this let me see the hidden motor bolt drive side.
Nipped that up,I wasn't as tight as it should be.

Shock boot back and the creak has buggered off again..I hate creaking frames ..

Which reminds me I will need a peg socket if I want that sprocket off..ffs what's wrong with bolting it to the crank..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles