Solo riders word of caution

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Apple watch or ANGI?
The trouble with Apple Watch is that the fall detection is tuned to detect falls rather than bike crashes - and the dynamics will be different. I've done a fair bit of work with similar devices for the elderly and false positives are an issue. Fall detection is inherently difficult. I haven't tested the Apple Watch but their fall detection is probably the best of the bunch. You may be able to tweak it for bike crashes but how the heck would you test it!

Specialized have tuned their algorithms to detect bike crashes from helmet impact. It will need GPS and mobile connectivity from the phone. It looks good.

You can get 3rd party apps for Samsung Gear watch which do fall detection and emergency calling. You can also get dedicated little devices/pendants which contain both a simple mobile phone, fall detection and GPS.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
, i will pack a phone and maybe a flair now . tracks here during a working day are often like ghost towns , something u think will never happen .

Why would you pack explosives? ( flares) I can't imagine many situations where I'd want to risk a bushfire whilst injured - even on the boat I resent having to carry them when we have such better technology ( plb with gps or spot / inreach beacons , a phone as back up, whistles on our camelback harness....)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ouch! :eek: Get well soon matey! :)

Most of my miles are solo and there are some features that I choose only to ride when I have some potential stretcher bearers with me! But I have had nasty offs even on benign trails that I have covered many times (me not paying attention)! No broken bones so far (chipped a kneecap once, that hurt!), just plenty of ligament and tendon damage, massive bruises and so forth. My wife knows where I'm going, but never the exact route because I change it very frequently, either because I'm looking for something new, or if I meet someone.

I have a whistle attached to my backpack and I carry a mobile in my pack too. I tried carrying the mobile in various pockets, but the phone gets smashed eventually. On the trail I ride the most, I can rarely get a signal, so I urge @Rob Hancill to take the hint and do a review of trackers and location devices very soon. That would be a very useful service. There seems to be a lot of experience already on this site, so he'd be off to a flying start. (y)

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Thanks to all for words of encouragement for my recovery.Much appreciated.Had first consultant appointment this morning and another 5 weeks minimum on crutches.
Anyway back to topic.I think looking at responses that this effects us all and has had a positive feedback.We do what we do because we love the sport but I think no matter what you’re riding ability is you got to have a backup.
The whistle is a simple and great idea.I did actually see someone in the distance while lying in the woods,tried calling out but the broken ribs said not happening.This could of been on a cord hanging off my back pack.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The whistle is a very good idea
I have it attached to the left strap, high up on the front, so that I can reach it easily with my mouth.
I am uncomfortably aware that my mobile is inside my backpack and probably out of reach if I am badly injured, but anywhere else and they just get broken.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup I always carry a whistle with me when out snowboarding, was drummed into me to have one from my very first time on the slopes over 30 years ago, dont know why it never occurred to me to take one out on my bike, seems obvious in hindsight

Whistle is definitely a good idea - make sure it's a proper loud rescue whistle - the type you get on marine life vests. Also make sure it's easily within reach incase you are immobile.
Of course saying that I realize I keep my Spot is in the top pocket of my backpack! Not easy to get to without removing pack.
My wife jokes that whilst I am trying to fight of the Mountain Lion (or Bear) with my 1inch pen knife how the hell am I supposed to take of my pack, get my Spot out and press the Rescue button! Oh well! as long as she knows where the life insurance details are!:unsure:

davez

Jan 5, 2019
Germany
This is exactly why I bought the Specialized Ambush helmet with Angi and recommended it to my father. Both of us do ride solo frequently. Though the system works only as long as you have mobile coverage and your phone is working. Still it adds safety and I think it makes as much sense as good protective wear

Woodcutter's Son

Aug 27, 2018
Wokingham
Ouch! Ride the same areas solo and can just imagine dropping blind into a fallen tree. Hope the recovery is going well. Plus one for the Element Bolt tracking. Nice feature if you've already planned a route is it shows those that care the route and your progress along it. Actually not sure how that helps but it's a neat feature ?

Mr CRUD

Patreon
Dec 18, 2018
Robin Hoods Bay
I urge @Rob Hancill to take the hint and do a review of trackers and location devices very soon. That would be a very useful service. There seems to be a lot of experience already on this site, so he'd be off to a flying start. (y)

Go for it Rob! I ride almost always on my own, flat-out, and where I go, I never see a soul. I'd buy a reliable device. Does Strava work in real time?

Jpla9849

Jan 8, 2019
Sevenoaks
At work we use an app called What3words. The app has assigned three random words to every 3m square on earth. Providing after you crash you can get your phone out you can tell someone exactly where you are and they can follow their map directly to you.

We use it all the time for any sort of location based stuff so in an emergency it will vastly speed up time in getting aid to you.

Safe recovery! Keep focused on the goal of getting back on the bike!

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
At work we use an app called What3words. The app has assigned three random words to every 3m square on earth. Providing after you crash you can get your phone out you can tell someone exactly where you are and they can follow their map directly to you.

We use it all the time for any sort of location based stuff so in an emergency it will vastly speed up time in getting aid to you.

Safe recovery! Keep focused on the goal of getting back on the bike!
Just downloaded.Wow it is very accurate.Thanks for sharing this would make a great backup.Looking through the posts it appears that we have so many options but no real comparison of pros and cons.
Hoping Rob takes a look at reviewing what’s available as can’t find anything online.
One thing is clear we all need a plan b.I only had my mobile Phone and my plan b was good luck.If Phone has smashed or ended up out of reach I think my circumstances may of taken turn for the worst.
Not forgetting I was only 200m from a road but off the beaten track.Looking at some of the awesome places people ride on here they could be miles from anyone.

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
1560897765748.jpeg
Dressing now off and swelling down.Thinking if asked on holiday about scar ,will go with shark attack ?

Pike

May 26, 2019
cocothecat12
From the sounds of it, rather glad to live in the uk, what with snakes and mountain lions; scariest thing I’ve encountered is a toss up between farmer Palmer chasing us on his quad, or the irate walkers we buzzed coming off mam tor!!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am in Sweden at the moment, and i would want full on sat phone with me out here - you literally walk ten minutes into the forrest and you could be lost for days if you dont know your way around.

Weeds

Mar 5, 2019
Leavenworth, WA
I was riding around NE Washington this week and the neighbor warned me there was supposedly a wounded cougar in the area. He had looked for birds flying over a carcass and had seen none. I never smelled anything like a dead animal and I did keep my eyes open. Cougars can be very quiet and sneaky.

I do carry a spot and I guess maybe next trip a pistol. Do they make a holster to mount on your bike?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I was riding around NE Washington this week and the neighbor warned me there was supposedly a wounded cougar in the area. He had looked for birds flying over a carcass and had seen none. I never smelled anything like a dead animal and I did keep my eyes open. Cougars can be very quiet and sneaky.

I do carry a spot and I guess maybe next trip a pistol. Do they make a holster to mount on your bike?
?

ABAD9C8A-470A-4C53-BB92-A9539039FA54.jpeg

racinghelmi

Jun 13, 2019
Gloucestershire
Wow
Mountain lions, cougars , bears ,brown snakes .I think the most threatening thing that’s jumped out on me has been a rabbit.
Since my accident I have had flashbacks and I think a log or tree was across the trail as I dropped in. I tried to explain to my family the feeling of freedom when riding solo is hard to beat.
Our sport has its dangers but the rewards are far greater.How many of us have had that close call, the rush of adrenaline afterwards is incredible.I think that is the moment when we feel most alive.It was google maps that saved my bacon that morning as I managed to send my daughter my location, not easy with no reading glasses.
If my post has made you think about a backup plan for just a minute then it was worth posting.
It did make me think!!!!!!
I had a nasty accident in November in the Forest of Dean and was super lucky that a fellow biker was close enough behind me and reacted fast (thank you forever Edward!). Called the ranger, ambulance......
I think it would have taken me some time to figure out what to do in my agony.
When the paramedics came and I heard one saying "we have to try to save the foot" I knew it was bad. They flew me to Bristol and saved the foot :)
I'm looking now into all the available devices mentioned to find out which would have been the best in my situation.
Thanks!!!!!
Helmut

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles