• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Soapy water? Which soap?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ve read that using soapy water is useful for cleaning e-bikes but which type?
I could use washing up liquid but that’s for dishes
Alternatively I could use my Autoglym pH neutral shampoo, but that’s for my car.

maybe I should just stick to very expensive bike Muc Off cleaner?

Or final option just use warm water only.

Any thoughts ?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I just use a cheap car shampoo concentrate from Halfords. Put a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle and spray that on to soak before cleaning with a garden hose. Make sure the shampoo hasn’t got wax in it though.

I think Muc Off is a bit of an expensive con..

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I just use a cheap car shampoo concentrate from Halfords. Put a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle and spray that on to soak before cleaning with a garden hose. Make sure the shampoo hasn’t got wax in it though.

I think Muc Off is a bit of an expensive con..

A quick spray of that stuff and half the bottle is gone ?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
A quick spray of that stuff and half the bottle is gone ?

What stuff, MucOff??

Yeh, it's 10 pounds a bottle so it's like 5 quid to clean the bike. Obviously, there are deals out there but it's a rip off. Now, of course, there's eBike stuff as well with the associated price hike..

Using Car Shampoo it's like 20p a wash or less..

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
What stuff, MucOff??

Yeh, it's 10 pounds a bottle so it's like 5 quid to clean the bike. Obviously, there are deals out there but it's a rip off. Now, of course, there's eBike stuff as well with the associated price hike..

Using Car Shampoo it's like 20p a wash or less..

Yeah I was referring to the pink Muc Off solution.
I have loads of Autoglym mild Ph neutral shampoo for the car and you only need a capful of that. Lasts ages.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I bought a Worx hydroshot washer a year ago and it’s an incredible gadget for cleaning the car. I make sure it’s set to a gentle sprinkle for the e-bike. You get absolutely everything with it (attachments etc) even a foldable bucket to wash your bike before putting into the car. Rechargeable Also. I’d be lost without it. Bought a second battery but never needed to use it.
EA4B36C9-3EAA-4A54-B999-C6589A21CFAE.jpeg

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I bought a Worx hydroshot washer a year ago and it’s an incredible gadget for cleaning the car. I make sure it’s set to a gentle sprinkle for the e-bike. You get absolutely everything with it (attachments etc) even a foldable bucket to wash your bike before putting into the car. Rechargeable Also. I’d be lost without it. Bought a second battery but never needed to use it.
View attachment 20206

Oh wow...That's awesome..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Now, of course, there's eBike stuff as well with the associated price hike..

I'm a bit deflated by this thread, I saw the soap bit and thought it was about the breasts again. ?

For the ebike, dry sand rubbed all over is good for removing mud and avoids the problem of water ingress.

Muc off seems to work best with none gloss bikes ? I'm not sure if they have a de-ioniser mixed in to help remove water marks ? It seems to work exactly the same if you pour half out and dilute it 50% so that makes it slightly more economic.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A detergent will strip grease and oil as well as mud so not the best stuff.....best kept for the dishes. If you use a silicon spray on the frame etc just warm water should be enough to clean the bike.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have the hydro shot as well and its a great bit of kit for car park cleaning - I just use a garden hose when at home, and whatever cleaner I can get a bulk deal on which usually tends to be Halfords own which they always seem to have some sort of offer on. I then use a washing up brush (50p form Wilko IIRC) and various old rags.

Fenwicks Foaming Chain cleaner is good stuff, when combined with their sponge, if you want to give your chain/drivetrain a quick clean down. ( I think Fenwicks products are the best of the proper bike cleaning brands)

foaming-chain-cleaner

The single best maintenance item I have got for my EMTB, and bikes in general is a Bike Dryer, which is basically a high powered hair dryer - dry the bike properly and gets all the water out of every nook and cranny. I have this one, but there are various similar things out their listed as dog dryers:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
This is the French guy who invented the first soap bar in 1790. ?
He was always surrounded by people who asked him why his EMTB looked so amazingly clean after he returned from the trails.
Apparently his Bosch 500 battery still works after 200 years as he was careful to keep the charge between 40-80% at all times and never kept it outside ?

69406E97-3ECE-4C06-9371-6F79927FF3C1.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles