So after battery failure I went out on my old bike.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Too many variables to just say e-bike weaker MtB stronger rider.
I ran 50ks and was as fit as feck 49 years old. Most training runs were an hour at least and 145 bpm hr. Fractured hip in April.
So now I ride to my heart rate like this. Average 130 heart rate for 1 and 1/2 hours. So pretty similar.
Plus it’s bloody hilly where I live so 1/5 and 1/4 hills all around me. So I can do a heart rate of 150 on these hills.

That’s how I ride on heart rate zones. I have manintained my resting heart rate 53 bpm and my blood pressure 110 / 68 ish.

So to finish ... I ride in eco and on the hills I know how to pace at 150 heart rate, as it’s set on my fennex five watch. Changing gears and assistance to maintain it.

A ride on my analogue bike would be much shorter.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Were you going everywhere in turbo to lose that much fitness? :unsure:;)
Yes (almost), average assistance level has been 80-85% -- I've been using BLEvo with Smart HR + Smart Power mostly in Trail mode (25-99% assistance) and looking back at my recorded stats the average assistance level was 80-90%; since then I've increased the target HR.

Sadly, I'm slim but terribly unfit. Interestingly, by the 4th ride on regular bike I felt like I had similar strength to what I had before e-bike.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Yes (almost), average assistance level has been 80-85% -- I've been using BLEvo with Smart HR + Smart Power mostly in Trail mode (25-99% assistance) and looking back at my recorded stats the average assistance level was 80-90%; since then I've increased the target HR.

Sadly, I'm slim but terribly unfit. Interestingly, by the 4th ride on regular bike I felt like I had similar strength to what I had before e-bike.

I use the BLEvo app on my hardtail, I didn't get on with smart power activated as it seemed to give more assistance than I needed, my average when riding on country lanes is between 9 and 15% assistance. I expect that would be higher when riding my Focus off road, no way of knowing though, maybe 25/30%...

I'm not sure how accurate the power meter is but mine has been rising steadily over the last few months so I guess my fitness/strength is improving.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I wonder what the end result for me and my analogue one will be too...

Theoretically I want to keep it and keep alternating usage between thew two and have a backup to the Eeb once it arrives, but in all reality I highly doubt it will see much use post Levo arrival, so probably should sell it come next season while I can still hopefully get somewhat of a descent price for it...

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Well after a lack of action by my local Shimano service centre I’m going to be another weekend without the Ebike so I have decided that if I’m going to have to go analogue then I’m doing it in style, I have just spent the last few hours switching out the Scandal frame for this beauty

10B00441-9207-4EF5-86F4-D00EB82B1CDB.jpeg

22.5lb lol, I thought it would be sub 20lbs :mad:
It’s going to be a gentle ride & very local :cool:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sovall you guys wanting to get back on an analogue bike I have a pretty much immaculate Cube Stereo HPC 150 sitting in my garage which has done nothing eccept look pretty since I bought my Levo in March. Lovely bike but not a patch on the Levo for pretty much anything.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My god it was hard work, I dusted off the old Transition Bandit & headed out, I have just become so lazy & let the bike do all the work for me, I always struggled to keep up with my mates on the up hills but having used an ebike exclusively for a year I wasn't prepared for this :(
It's made me realise I need to keep the bike in eco more & try to get fitter (when its fixed) rather than just enjoying myself. I have also realised that full suspension bikes really are more power sapping on less demanding trails ( read bridleways) so I have built an old On-one Scandal back up with rigid forks & fast tyres to try & get me out whilst the battery is in for repair, I have also realised I need to sell the Bandit for whatever low price it make on eBay as realistically I will never use it again, its the end of an era :cry:

Cheers.
Went out on my Nicolai 2 weeks ago 1st time since got ebike in June. after a 100 mtrs i stopped and checked cranks weren't sticking hard work it was.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Yep my 6 month old Bronson is being collected today and I'm loosing a massive amount on it :(Still it's not worth keeping, I can't think of a single riding senario where I would rather ride it over the kenevo.
I have never considered Mtb as a fitness thing, it's just for fun.
Plus I have a spare battery (y)
And I'm keeping my DH bike as you can't beat an uplifted DH day :D

Mathias Levo

Nov 2, 2018
Colchester
I can honestly say that since owning an e bike (levo19) my overall fitness has improved and I'm stronger now than ever before. I ride more miles than ever before and have way more fun! I tend to ride mostly in eco at 10% or off. I only really use the higher power in the woods or at the mountains or if there's a cool bit of trail for a blast! I rode my mates 10kg xc bike in the woods last weekend and it was so exciting I started looking at regular bikes again lol! It felt seriously fast! My concussion is for all round best fun and fitness if you choose to push yourself the ebike still wins!

sb5050

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
I agree that emtb s are a blast. But I also think that I will ride my trek fuel ex 27 lb manual bike at least once a week with non-ebike friends. It makes you appreciate your ebike and reveals your true fitness. I try to ride my 2020 levo comp in eco with an occasional burst of trail at the end of a 2 hour ride and that works well for me. I keep my heart rate average the same as my manual bike but ride at least twice as long and take almost no rest periods.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
I only got an emtb because two mates got Levos. I went out with them on my Stumpy a few times and was faster than them everywhere apart from the steep climbs.

I was out on my E-Sommet last week for the first time in 2 months to see if I still liked it after riding in Morzine in July on a rented Nukeproof Mega 290 Pro. I did enjoy the ride but I do still prefer lighter 'analogue' mtbs.

On the emtb fitness side of things, my view is that they are good for cardio fitness but not so much for leg strength unless you leave them in a very low eco setting.

My mates seem to have lost interest now and I fancy a Nukeproof Mega 290 Pro. Absolutely love it on the DHs and I found it OK riding uphill in the 36 degree heat with full body armour on as well in Morzine!

I've got my E-Sommet for sale with the idea of getting a 290.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
My god it was hard work, I dusted off the old Transition Bandit & headed out, I have just become so lazy & let the bike do all the work for me, I always struggled to keep up with my mates on the up hills but having used an ebike exclusively for a year I wasn't prepared for this :(
It's made me realise I need to keep the bike in eco more & try to get fitter (when its fixed) rather than just enjoying myself. I have also realised that full suspension bikes really are more power sapping on less demanding trails ( read bridleways) so I have built an old On-one Scandal back up with rigid forks & fast tyres to try & get me out whilst the battery is in for repair, I have also realised I need to sell the Bandit for whatever low price it make on eBay as realistically I will never use it again, its the end of an era :cry:

Cheers.

HIGH ROCK RUTI

The King is dead, Long live the king

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles