So after battery failure I went out on my old bike.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
My god it was hard work, I dusted off the old Transition Bandit & headed out, I have just become so lazy & let the bike do all the work for me, I always struggled to keep up with my mates on the up hills but having used an ebike exclusively for a year I wasn't prepared for this :(
It's made me realise I need to keep the bike in eco more & try to get fitter (when its fixed) rather than just enjoying myself. I have also realised that full suspension bikes really are more power sapping on less demanding trails ( read bridleways) so I have built an old On-one Scandal back up with rigid forks & fast tyres to try & get me out whilst the battery is in for repair, I have also realised I need to sell the Bandit for whatever low price it make on eBay as realistically I will never use it again, its the end of an era :cry:

Cheers.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
I sold the YT Capra to help fund the emtb. Then after 3 months on the Focus Jam2, I went out on my WhyteT130 C RS. I decided there and then that my knees had not improved and that I really did need an emtb! I put up the Whyte for sale and now I'm down to one bike. :(
I still have several bikes but the reality is slowly sinking in, i need to get shot.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I still prefer regular bikes to every Emtb I've ever ridden and even though I've now ridden loads of Emtbs I've only actually ridden two I genuinely enjoyed. (a Kenevo and my own E-sommet). I also absolutely HATE hardtail Ebikes. But prefer riding regular hardtails to FS unless it's full on DH riding.

I also truely believe if you stop riding regular bikes altogether it is detrimental* to both strength and fitness (possibly skill too but that's for a whole other thread).
I actually get knee pain if I DON'T ride regular bikes to compliment all the assisted riding I do on the Eeb. (My knees are pretty fucked from injuries in my 20s n 30s DH riding/racing

*If you genuinely were fit/strong before anyway.

Last edited:

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
I still prefer regular bikes to every Emtb I've ever ridden and even though I've now ridden loads of Emtbs I've only actually ridden a two I genuinely enjoyed. (a Kenevo and my own E-sommet). I also absolutely HATE hardtail Ebikes. But prefer riding regular hardtails to FS unless it's full on DH riding.

I also truely believe if you stop riding regular bikes altogether it is detrimental* to both strength and fitness (possibly skill too but that's for a whole other thread).
I actually get knee pain if I DON'T ride regular bikes to compliment all the assisted riding I do on the Eeb. (My knees are pretty fucked from injuries in my 20s n 30s DH riding/racing

Good on you for having the time for both, I barely have time to ride once a week, but that’s the way it is.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
If you asked me last year I would never have thought I would be going back, but after nearly 3 years and 2 Levo's and selling my Camber last year I think 2020 will see me investing in a new MTB.

The last few months I have taken to riding with the power switched off or Eco set to 20% and Trail is used occasionally as a kind of boost. I almost preferer using the handle bar switch as a kind of cheat button when needed and then backing off to zero when I am on the flat or down's.

As for the 700w on the Levo the only time I have come close to running out was at Trail days in Glentress, after 48 miles and a whole day spent up the trails in the morning and the Golfie in the afternoon.

I ride 3-4 times a week. (not this week as I have been playing Boarderlands 3 all weekend)

I think I want a Mega Tower...………………………..

Scott A.

Jul 20, 2019
Raleigh NC
I have a Levo but I also have a single speed MTB and an old Specialized Epic. I ride them about equally and get a shorter more intense workout on the single speed. I couldn’t see myself only having the ebike, as much as I like it.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Agree with all the above posts - unless you have an injury that prevents it keeping an analogue bike is still highly recommended at this point. Maybe you want one as a contrast to an eeb or for the fitness benefits, but either way the poor reliability of the current motors and the fact they can’t easily be fixed at home or even at your LBS in most cases means having a backup bike is pretty much mandatory IMO.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I still prefer regular bikes to every Emtb I've ever ridden and even though I've now ridden loads of Emtbs I've only actually ridden two I genuinely enjoyed. (a Kenevo and my own E-sommet). I also absolutely HATE hardtail Ebikes. But prefer riding regular hardtails to FS unless it's full on DH riding.

Guessing your not 70 years old though.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Well after reading all the above I might blow the cobwebs off my Nomad 3 and ‘try’ to ride the same trails as I am currently riding on my eeb. I know it is going to almost double the time spent out on the trails covering the same distance :eek: but I will give it a go and report back on how I got on.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The main benefit to me of the EMTB is the ability to get out and cram a lot in over a 2 hour ride, which with having a young family is about the limit time wise I have for most rides. I also really like using it to explore new trails, or when looping/lapping certain trails when I am trying to learn them.

If I get the chance to go out for a full day I will not necessarily go for the EMTB, as cramming in riding isn't such a priority.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
I'm off to the Sierra Nevadas on Sat for a week on my Capra. I've been going out on it regularly so it's not too much of a shock when I have to pedal for real again.

But I've got to say it has been difficult to walk past the ebike and take out the Capra. Not sure if I will keep it when I get back..if I get back :)

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I guess I'm different as I've never ridden a normal mtb regularly, I've tried several times over the years to get into it but have always given up pretty quickly.

Not so with the emtb though, I started in January this year and it brings so much more than just the assistance, I think my average Saturday ride is over forty miles now, I'm getting fitter (I've never been bike fit) but more importantly I'm getting out and having fun :D

I have little interest in riding a normal mtb now, although I'm kind of curious how much my fitness has improved...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Peaky Rider No. But I'm pretty sure even if I do reach the ripe old age of 70 I'll still prefer the handling characteristics of a 25lb hardtail over a 50lb one.
Pedalling it up hills may be a different matter altogether ?

Reactions: S D

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
If I had the choice, i’d be on a non assisted bike every day of the week, building my strength and fitness as I go. But my heart is screwed so it’s 100% eMtb forever for me.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
either way, the poor reliability of the current motors and the fact they can’t easily be fixed at home or even at your LBS in most cases means having a backup bike is pretty much mandatory IMO.

Or perhaps a backup motor??? :cool::cool::cool: I have been looking for a suitable MTB as a backup to my eMTB and found out I'm pretty spoiled. The configurations priced could buy 3 backup motors...

Last edited:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Or perhaps a backup motor??? :cool::cool::cool: I have been looking for a suitable MTB as a backup to my eMTB and found out I'm pretty spoiled. The configurations priced could buy 3 backup motors...
Indeed - I have suggested that several times here in the past as an antidote to the "I only want to buy an ebike from an LBS for support reasons" argument. If you are reasonably handy with a hex key it is far more cost effective to buy a direct sales bike and a spare motor than something as expensive as a decently speced Levo. Having said that the difference between (say) Canyon/Commencal and something like the Whyte or one of the Giants is a bit smaller.

Bean

Jul 21, 2018
Hull, UK
Kept my Camber as a spare due to injuries but will still use on off. If riding solo prob use the Camber but if with wife (when her fractured toe heals) will use haibike to stay with her Levo.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
My god it was hard work, I dusted off the old Transition Bandit & headed out, I have just become so lazy & let the bike do all the work for me, I always struggled to keep up with my mates on the up hills but having used an ebike exclusively for a year I wasn't prepared for this :(
It's made me realise I need to keep the bike in eco more & try to get fitter (when its fixed) rather than just enjoying myself. I have also realised that full suspension bikes really are more power sapping on less demanding trails ( read bridleways) so I have built an old On-one Scandal back up with rigid forks & fast tyres to try & get me out whilst the battery is in for repair, I have also realised I need to sell the Bandit for whatever low price it make on eBay as realistically I will never use it again, its the end of an era :cry:

Cheers.

Well with a handle of 2unfit2ride it shouldn't have been a surprise I guess..

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
My PaceRC529 hardtail gets ridden why more then the ebike
20190810_152929.jpg

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I also truely believe if you stop riding regular bikes altogether it is detrimental* to both strength and fitness...
100% agree; after riding my 2019 Levo exclusively for about 3 months, I got back on my regular bike. Holy f$#k was it hard, I had to drop down to granny gear to get up my driveway (a rise of about 1 in 20) and then got about 200 meters up the road before giving up. I could not believe how weak I had become in such a short period. Now every 3rd ride is on my regular bike for important resistance training. This is important for all ages, see NHS Exercise Guidelines.

I'm currently studying Exercise and Nutrition Science at uni, and have learnt that muscle strength is the best predictor of longevity. Lack of strength leads to loss of stability leading to falls, etc.
(I'm studying Exercise and Nutrition Science at Uni)

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
100% agree; after riding my 2019 Levo exclusively for about 3 months, I got back on my regular bike. Holy f$#k was it hard, I had to drop down to granny gear to get up my driveway (a rise of about 1 in 20) and then got about 200 meters up the road before giving up. I could not believe how weak I had become in such a short period. Now every 3rd ride is on my regular bike for important resistance training. This is important for all ages, see NHS Exercise Guidelines.

I'm currently studying Exercise and Nutrition Science at uni, and have learnt that muscle strength is the best predictor of longevity. Lack of strength leads to loss of stability leading to falls, etc.

Were you going everywhere in turbo to lose that much fitness? :unsure:;)

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
I think it's location plays a big part of whether you ride your acoustic bike, short 1 to 2 hr rides here are damn hard work but made for emtb. If I go anywhere with a cable car then I leave the ebike home as it's too heavy and not as much fun and at the end of the day it's all about fun.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Eco on 15% rider with 25% motor unless really extreme hills etc. This will not compare to a non ebike but is pretty damn close on a Levo and my legs get more tired than on my regular bike although I am not so knackered.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles