Levo SL Gen 1 Smart Control vs privacy settings

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
This is going to be another Smart Control failure story – or isn't it?
Today I went on a 55 km tour (750 m elevation) and gave the smart control feature another shot. My battery was not fully charged (just above 90%), so I fed Mission control with my planned distance and elevation to make sure I made it home safely with motor support (I set it to have 10% charge left over).
Smart Control was on for the whole tour (at least it showed on my TCU) and didn't cut out this time. But ... of course there's a but. 😀
I didn't feel any smart support. The motor gave minimal support and didn't increase it on ascents whatsoever. It first came to life when I was almost home again. When I checked my battery level after the tour, it still had 67% charge!
On inspecting the tour details after my ride, I discovered that it had recorded distance, time and speed, but no GPS data.
My suspicion is that my iPhone's privacy settings prevented Mission Control from doing its job; the required "Always allow to access location" setting wasn't available, because by default you can only allow the app to use your location "once" or "while using the app". This is inconvenient, if you don't use your phone while riding. Only after I was back in my garage the phone asked me if I wanted to grant Mission Control permanent location tracking. So I guess I'll have to give Smart Control another go to find out if it works now.
The good thing about today's Smart Control "failure": I know now that I can do extremely long tours just using my internal 320 Wh battery, and even with minimal motor support the Levo SL is a really convenient companion and fun and easy to ride!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles