SLX cassette fouling on Trek rail 9 drop out - whats going on??

Sofaboy73

May 26, 2020
UK
converting my rail 9 from sram GX drive train to shimano XT / SLX mix (not getting on with eagle). have had a new wheel built up with microspline free hub (hope pro 4 boost / 148) as had virtually destroyed the soft as cheese bontrager rear rim anyhow. however once the cassette is fitted the lock ring fouls / sticks on the all in one dropout / mech hanger as the hanger protrudes quite a lot.

cassette is deff seated correctly. lock ring is tightened as much as i dare before stripping the thread and the dropout / mech hanger is seated correctly in the frame, however it fouls that badly that you cant easily turn the cassette once the thru axle is tightened??

i'm at a bit of a loss, i can see the problem but i dont know what the solution is. the sram XD drive with GX cassette doesn't have a lock ring that sits proud, but the tight tolerances of 12 spd means the SLX cassette wont turn. its almost like the hub end cap is a few mm too short, however its a brand new hope pro 4 boost / 148 mm hub.

any ideas? its almost like it needs a different drop out to run shimano 12 spd, but surely not??

Frankenbetty

Jun 6, 2020
Llandegla
End caps on the hub the wrong way round possibly? They might be sided and fitted the wrong way round. It only takes a mm or two to screw things up and it’s not always visually obvious
ive no idea about the new Hope stuff but I’ve seen similar infuriating things over the years.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Was the original cassette 10-50 while the SLX/XT is 11-50, so the smallest cog is a larger diameter?

On other bikes I've had the Sram and Shimano hangers were different as well, are you just changing the cassette or derailleur as well?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The hanger on the Rail is the same for Shimano and SRAM according to the parts diagrams.

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
I thought sram and shimano mech hangers were different as well, could be that 12 speed is the same though?
Get a picture from a rail with shimano fitted?

Sofaboy73

May 26, 2020
UK
problem solved, the freehub came with the wrong end cap. swapped at the LBS and now all works fine.

yes, the hanger on the rail is a sram universal hanger, designed to fit shimano and sram

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles