Levo Gen 2 SLX brakes upgrade to Magura.

mikmikcol

Feb 7, 2019
Adeladie
A month ago, I have updated my 200mm disk brakes as the SLX weren't properly working. I am missing the SRAM modulation.
So, I have found several videos explaining how to install a mix between Shimano levers and Magura Callipers. However, the videos are based on having the full Magura set and replacing the lever. My question is if I bought the Magura Callipers only, can just replace them instead of the Shimanos, and use the current system (levers, hoses, disks)? TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Yes you can.
I would personally go with the full set as the price difference isn't that great and then you'll get a proper bite point not a wondering one from the shimano leavers

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
The Magura discs are thicker, but don't know if that's important to the function of the calipers apart from the pistons will be extended very slightly more than normal especially if you let the pads wear down.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Yeah I swopped out my Magura discs for thinner Hopes and you could feel the extra travel at the lever for the first couple of pulls but of course once the pistons have settled theres no difference in travel whatever disc you run. Same as if the pads had just worn down.

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Does the Shimano banjo that attaches to the caliper fit the Maguras? easy enough to buy a spare magura line and try the Shimano banjo first and return them. You need Shimano olives for the Shimano Levers too. Also, every spare caliper I have purchased has come with a banjo bolt if thats any help

I run both Magura MT7s and XTs on 2 different bikes. If you are missing that Sram modulation then I dont think you will like Shigura, its still got that 'servo' lever thing. Also Mags work way better with 2mm rotors (I prefer the Sram ones to Magura) than 1.8s.

Magura sit between a Shimano and a Sram in terms of modulation, although the std. HC levers can be over extended slightly with a pair of pliers on the adjuster knob and they become very Shimano like sharp indeed. They don't have the woody feeling Shimano have either. Far superior brake.

Magura are a pain in the ass to setup compared to Shimano and Sram on 1.8 rotors though, so be prepared to micro adjust the caliper when the bike is on a work stand to stop the rubbing. They also suffer from pad rock under heavy braking although not everyone gets this apparently. Can resolve that using some tape behind the leading pads

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles