Levo SL Gen 1 SL NEW Software Update

KentKainer

Oct 5, 2020
Germany
Hi @AlexEMTB and others following the post. This is worth commenting on for SL bikes specifically.

Many riders on this forum ask what we do with data that we pick up from recorded rides etc in Mission Control. This is a great example. The specific firmware update you mentioned for SL bikes doesn't in itself offer a performance upgrade, rather it allows the retailer to perform a calibration to the torque sensor. Using actual field ride-data we detected small calibration drifts in a batch of motors and subsequently created the ability for our retailers to re-calibrate motors in-store via a firmware update and a matching calibration step.

Depending if the torque drift is positive or negative, the rider will have two slightly different experiences.
a) For positive drift, the peak torque of the motor will be reached with less rider input - giving the feeling of higher than normal power even if your support settings are set low. e.g. ECO 30/60 could feel like TURBO 60/100 (example settings).
b) For a negative drift you will need to put in more power to reach peak torque. This would feeling as though the bike has less power even if your support settings are high. e.g. TURBO 60/100 feels like ECO 30/60 (example settings).

In both cases because of the offset the motor can feel more 'digital' or "on/off". After calibration you may notice smoother power that feels more constant across support settings. Sounds like this is what you noticed after the update? Its hard for a rider where the bike has always behaved like this to notice unless they ride another bike that is calibrated.

Important to know - if other riders are concerned they can use Mission Control / Diagnose / Advanced Diagnose / Send Report and then check with their retailer if their bike Serial Number is showing a Torque offset. This can be done remotely when our retailers check field event codes. There is no risk or motor fault as such, once calibrated the torque sensor won't drift again. This was a limited batch of motors that were fitted to bikes too soon after component manufacture - before the magnetic components had settled fully.

@Specialized Rider Care
Is it possible that something can go wrong with the calibration and the update?
After the update at my retailer I went for a ride and I have the feeling that the power delivery isn’t really smooth anymore, especially in Eco (set at 40%/45%). When going uphill in the first or second gear the assistance feels kind of untrue and on-off...hope you know what I mean!? The feeling is not as noticeable in Trail with 35%/100%.

Thanks in advance for an answer!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles