Levo SL Gen 1 SL lighting options? Lupine?

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
I am looking for a similar lighting setup (Lupine SL/SF and seatpost taillight) to what I have on my base model turbo levo (non-sl) for my newest SL powered bike.

I have an SL vado, but assume it has the same provisions, if any, for external lighting that the levo SL would have. So my question is what types of integrated lighting is everyone using on thier levo SL's, like a lupine or similar?

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I would steer away from any extra plugins to the bikes battery as this is part of the water ingress problems with the FF Levo. I can highly recommend Exposure lights, all self contained, well made, bright as f234k and come with excellent back up.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
apreciate the opinion, but I have had lupine front/rear light setups on both my levos with brose s mag motor, and the connectors are the same weather proof style connectors, the tcu, sensors, etc. all use and I use di-electric grease on any electrical connector when its exposed to the elements and...... have never had a water ingress issue except for the top-tube mounted tcu unit.

I really like the advantage of not having to recharge batteries, and a "clean" look.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
What lupine is that? the SL/X?

The battery is 350wh, and having a range extender, plus the minimal pwr requirements of a aux light not too worried about it. I have an SL/F Lupine and seatclamp lights on my levo and not even noticeable in range reduction/battery loss.

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
What lupine is that? the SL/X?

The battery is 350wh, and having a range extender, plus the minimal pwr requirements of a aux light not too worried about it. I have an SL/F Lupine and seatclamp lights on my levo and not even noticeable in range reduction/battery loss.

I am sorry this is offtopic but could you post a pic of how you routed the seatclamp light cable I am thinking of getting one...

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
If you do go with a Lupine (they're very good lights), stay away from the Piko. Both of mine overheat and auto-dim every single ride, in any weather, even if I'm moving fast. And yes, I did install the optional heat sink add-on.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
If you do go with a Lupine (they're very good lights), stay away from the Piko. Both of mine overheat and auto-dim every single ride, in any weather, even if I'm moving fast. And yes, I did install the optional heat sink add-on.
Was this the latest (1900lm) version of Lupine Piko?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Was this the latest (1900lm) version of Lupine Piko?

No - a 1500 and an 1800. I don't see any fundamental design change on the 1900 though that would convince me that the problem has been remedied. They talk of changes to "the control electronics and thermal management were also completely redeveloped, regulating heat much more dynamically to keep light levels brighter, longer". Which doesn't say much without actual data, and since the basic packaging looks the same, except for the button, and the light produces even more output, I am skeptical of much real-world improvement.

It's a very good light - don't get me wrong - but if you need a steady 1800+ lumens, you might be better served with a different light rated at higher capacity and better heat dissipation.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
I am sorry this is offtopic but could you post a pic of how you routed the seatclamp light cable I am thinking of getting one...

Well on my aluminum frame i ran it under the top tube to where the shock mount is, and then ran into the frame along with the other cables that are exposed.

However, once i swapped the aluminum for a carbon frame that is not exposed anymore, so I have it just zip tied to the seat tube and drilled a small hole on the plastic motor cover, with a rubber grommet. Its not ideal but not sure if I want to drill a hole in the frame, or what else I could do really. :(

Probably just going to reach out to lupine and see if they are going to do anything with the SL motors, or at least make connectors that will fit the SL inputs like the vado has factory. Or maybe just figure out what type of connectors those are and wire up my own setup like i have on my levo.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I can't see the point of wiring a light in when you can just use an Exposure MaxxD, lovely and neat solution bright as the sun, long runtime and superb back up from the company if anything goes wrong!

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Can’t say I’ve noticed my Blika ever thermo throttle. Then again not sure I’ve used it at full power. It’s power settings are 5, 30, 50 and 70% power.

Yup. Your 70% is about the same as my full power on my Piko. I've tried the OEM heat sink, add-on heat sinks, with no noticeable improvement. And since I have the non-bluetooth version, I don't have much ability to set the light levels. The next level down from full power on mine isn't enough for a ripping downhill at night. I ended up getting a new light that I can run, as you do, at reduced power most of the time. I keep the Piko as a "need a half hour of light at the end of a ride" light or when riding gravel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles