Sit bone spacing

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Saddle.

I didn't say the Athertons don't run WTB saddles. I was merely pointing out the irony of paying gravity riders to promote a saddle companies saddle width and sitbone marketing strategy when every gravity rider in the world uses the edge of their sadle as a contact point for control and to weight the bike with their inner thigh more than actually sitting on the things.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
My new saddle came today. I bought a WTB Rocket 150mm wide. I'll fit it tomorrow.

The packaging was interesting. If I had seen it before I would have ordered the Volt Wide. On the web page I saw when ordering the Rocket I didn't notice it had thick padding. Let's see how I get on with it. It might be wonderful! :)

View attachment 35184

Top left, I noticed the WTB Fit Right System. Also interesting, see here.

If you don’t get on with your new saddle, or just want something else for when you wear this one out, I’ve got a couple of Rocket Vs and a Speed V you’re welcome to have FOC.

They’ve been sitting in my spares box for years, and have minimal wear.

The Rockets seem to be 14cm and the Speed V 15cm.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you don’t get on with your new saddle, or just want something else for when you wear this one out, I’ve got a couple of Rocket Vs and a Speed V you’re welcome to have FOC.

They’ve been sitting in my spares box for years, and have minimal wear.

The Rockets seem to be 14cm and the Speed V 15cm.
Wow! that's really very generous of you. I will only follow up on that if I need to. Thanks very much.

Edit: I've just read the posts between your offer and my reply. I have not heard of the Speed V, so if you have an offer for it let @Pigin have it. It is the Rocket V at 145 mm that I used to believe was good for me. So it would be good if you could hang on to them. If you don't hear from me before the end of this month, let them go. :)

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Wow! that's really very generous of you. I will only follow up on that if I need to. Thanks very much.

Edit: I've just read the posts between your offer and my reply. I have not heard of the Speed V, so if you have an offer for it let @Pigin have it. It is the Rocket V at 145 mm that I used to believe was good for me. So it would be good if you could hang on to them. If you don't hear from me before the end of this month, let them go. :)

No worries, they’re not going anywhere, so just give me a shout if you want them.

I’ll post the Speed V out to pigin then. ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I went down the SQ Labs/sit bone measurement route once and ended up with one of the worst saddle experiences I have had, plus the saddle shape itself IMO got in the way when riding out the saddle.

I actually use an Ergon DH saddle, a saddle designed for everything but sitting on it, and find it to be the comfiest I have ever used, and has the added bonus of doing everything you want out of a DH saddle when trying to rail it.

Point is everyone's arse is different, mine is pretty big and all the measurements suggested I need around 150mm, but I fins pretty much the narrowest saddle out there best.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
The reason that I am keen and grateful to Sensei Tooks is that I to am wide in the beam according to measurements I've taken. Being old school I have never used a wide saddle but now getting back into cycling, after too many years away from it, I am willing to give it a try and to do so as a freebie is an offer I couldn't refuse. You know how the saying goes....with old age comes the need for comfort, or something like that.

I have never used a dropper either so it could well be that the post gets the seat out of the way enough so that there are no issues being off the back of it.

In the spirit of the forum I will report back on the findings and perhaps R120 and myself might start the BBB (Big Beamed Bikers) society!

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Point is everyone's arse is different, mine is pretty big and all the measurements suggested I need around 150mm, but I fins pretty much the narrowest saddle out there best.

Your absolutely right R120, I'm an average size person, but my sit bone is 9.5 which is narrow and probably why I'm finding it so difficult to find a comfortable saddle. I'm really hoping the SQLab one works for me.

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I went down the SQ Labs/sit bone measurement route once and ended up with one of the worst saddle experiences I have had, plus the saddle shape itself IMO got in the way when riding out the saddle.
Specialized came out with the body geometry thing years ago as well to measure sit bones and get you the perfect saddle. I have never been comfortable on any bike so went and did it and was prepared to spend any amount to get the perfect fit. It recommended the Henge saddle which I got and which was the most uncomfortable saddle I have ever owned.

On the commuter I now use a Brooks cambium c17 carved which I find excellent for me. It's made from flexible silicone rather than padded fabric.

natwilaniwartri

Jul 1, 2020
scottish borders
i did funny went on to wtb site yesterday they have an on line way for knowing your size using wrist size so did mine 65 mm ish and put into there calculate and gave me 102 mm to 130 mm then u can how ur ride for and then body shape then can choose thickness ,but can change in some settings so i taken 2 pictures of out comes so interesting in wat i should go for , i did go on ergon site they do in cm and they gave there e-mtb new one as one for me no other ....am heavy weight so not sure that make difference to one i should try if and when i feel need to , am not like crazy need new saddle yet as one on my cube is ok not broken it in haha

FireShot Capture 122 - Fit Right System – WTB - https___www.wtb.com_pages_fit-right-system.jpg

FireShot Capture 123 - Fit Right System – WTB - https___www.wtb.com_pages_fit-right-system.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
No worries, they’re not going anywhere, so just give me a shout if you want them.

I’ll post the Speed V out to pigin then. ?
I've had a couple of rides on the WTB Rocket, 150 mm wide and it's fine. It is a bit grippier than the old Rocket V, ie it doesn't slide as readily through my fabric covered thighs. That is not due to the extra width, which is OK, it's the surface finish of the saddle, especially that of the shoulders. The material on the shoulders looks a lot harder wearing than the old Rocket V, which always failed there first.
I need to experiment a bit with the fore/aft placing of the saddle, but whatever I do it will be fine.

So, I won't be taking advantage of your generous offer Mr @Tooks. Many thanks again. :)

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
So thanks to @Tooks I am now the proud owner of a WTB Speed V 150mm saddle. It makes a massive difference to the comfort and length of the ride. Its been a while since I've cycled and so going for comfort over weight was a no brainer. Can you believe I measure 160mm at the sit bones so that would mean a saddle at 180mm or more. I reckon that would make it impossible to ride and to get it out of the way. Having said that Chesterfield seem to do some very plush looking models!!!

I'm sticking with the 150mm!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles