Single Click Shift - Yea or Nay???

GroundSwell

Feb 17, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
I demoed a Levo about a month ago and have since put a deposit down on on a Kenevo. Should be here sometime this week. Loved everything about the EMTB experience - except for the single click shifting. Has anyone swapped the Sram single-click shifters out for a traditional shifter? If so - any issues so far?

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Single click is great on an ebike, as you can be a little less careful shifting while on the power.
I did miss multi click tho but I can see the rewards.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
So XX1 trigger shifter is straight swap for GX single-click shifter? Or which one you can recommend for multiple shifts with GX derailleur?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I never liked SingleClick...on my eMTB I actually like it.

With the increased speed on my very technical/bumpy trail, I now allways hit the correct gear immediately.
I find it very assuring, that I can just full-press the lever and know it will just shift a single gear.
Then I can fastClick multiple times, if I need to shift more...

Those who don't like it, is not going through tough terrain, where simplicity is good.

Maybe it's an old habit from racing motorcycles for +30 years....sequential gearing is good and simple :)

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
One of the bikes I tested had single shift and although I can see the logic, I didn't like it. I did not reject the bike for that reason though. The bike I did choose happened to have multi shift and I have almost 1200 miles on the same cassette, ring and chain. No shifting problems at all. As @Gary said, shift properly. I say shift with mechanical sympathy.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
One of the bikes I tested had single shift and although I can see the logic, I didn't like it. I did not reject the bike for that reason though. The bike I did choose happened to have multi shift and I have almost 1200 miles on the same cassette, ring and chain. No shifting problems at all. As @Gary said, shift properly. I say shift with mechanical sympathy.

My Jam² has the Shimano 12sp multi shift and I was thinking about this thread on last night's ride out.

My muscle bike has multi shift and I love it, but when I first rode the Jam² I kept overdoing the shifting and hurting my ears (and the gears!). I hated it and preferred the single shift SRAM setup on my wife's EMTB.

So, although I was gently trolling @Gary earlier in this thread, I have to agree with him (there, GrahamPaul, that didn't hurt too much, did it?!) because now I've learned the nuance of both bike and shifter on the EMTB, it's great!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.........My muscle bike has multi shift and I love it, but when I first rode the Jam² I kept overdoing the shifting and hurting my ears (and the gears!). I hated it and preferred the single shift SRAM setup on my wife's EMTB.
................because now I've learned the nuance of both bike and shifter on the EMTB, it's great!

@GrahamPaul Sometimes you can be in a situation, always grunting uphill, when you want to shift to an easier gear, but backing off the pressure is not what you want to do. You don't want to shift anyway because something may break! What to do? Answer: shift the mode to a higher power! No mechanical drama, just smooth power assist. Once you are over the peak, either shift gears or shift power mode to something more suitable. :)

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
@GrahamPaul Sometimes you can be in a situation, always grunting uphill, when you want to shift to an easier gear, but backing off the pressure is not what you want to do. You don't want to shift anyway because something may break! What to do? Answer: shift the mode to a higher power! No mechanical drama, just smooth power assist. Once you are over the peak, either shift gears or shift power mode to something more suitable. :)

Doncha just love that feeling of the big hand on your back giving you that magical push up the hill? At least, that's how it feels to me. But stay away from that devil's spawn: the eMTB mode. Therein lies madness and an early death! :eek:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles