• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Silent rear hubs... do they exist?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Silent hubs have been around for years. Some used cannondale wheels I bought about 8 years ago came with one, was kinda wierd

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I was shown XT 12 speed yesterday (by a Shimano rep) and I can confirm that the hubs are pretty quiet. They're not completely silent though. I believe xtr are similarly quiet.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Put thicker grease on the ratchet and pawls in your freehub. That will reduce the noise a lot, maybe enough that you can live with it! :)
Do not do this. Especially on an Ebike.
Thicker grease may well quieten down the noise but it wall also slow down the pawl springs ability to push each pawl into each ratchet spline. I'll leave it for you to work out why this may not be such an ingenius idea by yourself. ?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Did a little digging and it appears Onyx also do silent hubs. Anyone tried those?
I run an Onyx rear hub on my Evil. It’s class, instant engagement. A bit heavier than a regular hub coz of the sprag clutch.
Industry nine do one as well. There is some sort of tie in between the two not sure if it is licensing or part of the manufacture.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles