Shredded tyres @ £64 each!

PhilB

Jun 9, 2019
Wimborne
Just wrecked my second Maxxis rear tyre (each costing £64!!) on seemingly innocuous flat terrain with (flint?) gashes which neither Muckoff sealant nor plugs can fix. It's getting expensive to ride this otherwise dream bike. Any suggestions for a more durable tyre?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Sounds like you need a stronger casing tyre, and/or more pressure for your weight, riding style and conditions. What is the exact tyre you are using currently?

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Same here - fairly new Minion DHF torn (though, not on flat, but on a steep, rocky downhill). I was covered in Stans' :-(. Good timing though, was just about to switch to summer tires.

Troeyler

May 20, 2019
oslo
i have torn 3 maxxis tires. Jeez these tires are crap. Good grip etc but every other trip they tore up. I am now on magic mary soft front and hans dampf speedgrip apex on the rear. Much better protection.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
What casing? The oem spec tyres tend to be super fragile

Pedro78

Nov 27, 2018
Ile de la réunion
What casing? The oem spec tyres tend to be super fragile

Do you mean for the Maxxis or Michelin? The dhr 2 was 3c max Terra exo and the Michelin I'm considering is:
  • E-GUM-X - Rubber with 2 components. A special compound on the tread increases grip, while another compound on the sidewalls increases resistance. The compound has also been optimised for the higher demands of e-bikes.
  • Gravity Shield - The tires has a 3x60 TPI casing specially designed for Enduro.
  • Pinch Protection - A reinforcement in the bead zone to reduce the effects of impact crushing and prevent punctures.
  • E-Bike Ready - Tires with this marking are suitable for E-Bikes up to 25km/h. They are reinforced with additional rubber for maximum performance and speed.

OZIAU

Aug 20, 2019
Australia
Sounds like you need a stronger casing tyre, and/or more pressure for your weight, riding style and conditions. What is the exact tyre you are using currently?

My rear tyre snapped the Kevlar bead! (Maxxis Minion DHRII 3C EXO 27.5 X 2.8). It had approx. 25psi & I weigh approx. 105kg fully kitted. The rim was not damaged. The terrain was small jumps, small rocks & roots etc.

So the shop supplied & fitted a new tyre and Orange seal goo (running tubeless) for AUS$130. The tyre is now 30 psi.

Do you think that was a faulty tyre or a combination of pressure, weight & terrain?

ninjichor

Apr 10, 2019
Southern California
Not sure if it is a coincidence, but I've had maxxis tires last me 3k miles, but then suddenly i've had 2 fail on me, but also 2 schwalbe fail on me in the same year. I also switched to Muc Off this year...

All the failures were in the tread area, like the pinch flat zone, between shoulder knob and center knob. 3 were holes too big to seal/repair. 1 was a knob separating.

2 tires with chronic air loss now, a Schwalbe SuperGravity and a Panaracer, both running Mucoff too. Maybe it's the sealant? I dunno...

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
My rear tyre snapped the Kevlar bead! (Maxxis Minion DHRII 3C EXO 27.5 X 2.8). It had approx. 25psi & I weigh approx. 105kg fully kitted. The rim was not damaged. The terrain was small jumps, small rocks & roots etc.

So the shop supplied & fitted a new tyre and Orange seal goo (running tubeless) for AUS$130. The tyre is now 30 psi.

Do you think that was a faulty tyre or a combination of pressure, weight & terrain?

My opinion is no, my guess is something has changed in the manufacturing. I've run Maxiss DHFs and DHRs on some of the most rock strewn crappy trails here and my front tyres are never over 18 psi and even lower when I'm lazy and don't check them for a few weeks and I run about 90 kg kitted out.

I did fit one of these Continentals on the rear to test out and it has been sensational, I've bounced those side walls of heaps of jagged rocks every ride and it just refuses to give in, I was initially worried about all the extra space in between the knobs getting punctures but it has held up well. This tyre has done 575 kms of ripping rocks and not even one tiny self sealing puncture.

On the front I have fitted a Maxiss Assegai and that is now my go to front tyre for grip, beats the DHFs and DHRs I was running hands down.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I'm a fat c... 115kg kitted, I've run assegai, dhf, Aggressor, pressures 22 front 24 rear and yet to tear a tyre.
I run a little higher as I hate tire squirm with a passion & have no issues with any of the Maxxis I run. DHF & Agressor or Recon F&R.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles