Should I get the CX performance line a firmware update?

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
I thought that I read that a firmware upgrade in the last year or so added the eMTB mode. If the bike doesn’t have eMTB mode then yes do it. It auto adjusts the level of assistance based on how hard you are pushing on the pedals. I find it really intuitive and great for riding up switchbacks where you back off and slow down on the tight corners.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I thought that I read that a firmware upgrade in the last year or so added the eMTB mode. If the bike doesn’t have eMTB mode then yes do it. It auto adjusts the level of assistance based on how hard you are pushing on the pedals. I find it really intuitive and great for riding up switchbacks where you back off and slow down on the tight corners.

Thanks for the reply and no it doesn't have that EMTB mode I only found out about it yesterday :)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yes, but only if it’s free - as you are considering changing the bike it’s not worth paying for, but some dealers have charged customers.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Yes, but only if it’s free - as you are considering changing the bike it’s not worth paying for, but some dealers have charged customers.

Ahh ok thanks for that as we are changing the bike I will check with the dealer we got it from :)

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I had mine done and wish I hadnt - theres no way to know how much power you are using in EMTB mode, so battery management goes straight out the window - I suppose its ok if you are doing a very short ride?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
You must be literally the only person ever with a Bosch who has considered EMTB mode to be a bad thing. Yes consumption varies with effort and terrain, but most people will still get 25 miles out of it, and if you are trying to eek the very last electron ;) out of your pack then you have the other non-adaptive modes to use (though in that instance you will be welded in Eco anyway).

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
EMTB mode is the saving grace of the Bosch, IMO the software update that enabled it allowed Bosch to eek out a few more years out of the motor being on the market

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
You must be literally the only person ever with a Bosch who has considered EMTB mode to be a bad thing. Yes consumption varies with effort and terrain, but most people will still get 25 miles out of it, and if you are trying to eek the very last electron ;) out of your pack then you have the other non-adaptive modes to use (though in that instance you will be welded in Eco anyway).
Yes I love using Eco and treating my ebike like a spin bike.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
EMTB mode is the saving grace of the Bosch, IMO the software update that enabled it allowed Bosch to eek out a few more years out of the motor being on the market
It depends if you are a "life's too complicated" type of person, then you will like it. For me it's like auto correct - bloody machine has a mind of its own, and you don't know if you are in turbo or not. So it was a bad idea.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think if your a " I just want to jump on my bike and go for a ride and forget about fiddling with settings" type of person you will like it

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
I had mine done and wish I hadnt - theres no way to know how much power you are using in EMTB mode, so battery management goes straight out the window - I suppose its ok if you are doing a very short ride?
So, how does that work then?
- Eco stays Eco
- Tour stays tour
- Sports becomes E-MTB
- Turbo stays Turbo
So, if you say that E-MTB throws out Battery Management, this would be for the very occasional times that it needs to deliver MORE power than the old Sports mode? That does not make sense at all.

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
I think they mean human controlled battery management. Eco stays Eco, Tour stays Tour, Sport becomes eMTB. Instead of a 3rd fixed level of assistance the motor automatically varies the level of assistance between Tour and Turbo, based on how ahrd you are pressing on the pedals. Turbo stays Turbo (maximum assistance on every pedal stroke, regardless of how hard you are pushing on the pedals). eMTB is easy to get used to and works really well when climbing up a twisty trail - less boost as you ease off to go around a tight corner and more assistance as you stomp on the pedals again as you exit. It is geat, but it does consume more battery as it automatically applies turbo levels of assistance. I am newish to eBikes and always conscious of battery, but as I ride the bike more, I find myself mostly using eco or tour on easy terrain and switching to eMTB mode for most climbs (Turbo when I really want some boost up a big climb) and my battery easily lasts a 40km commute or a 30km trail ride. I often end a ride on 60% battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles