• No

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 9.3%

• Total voters

V86

Jul 13, 2018
Norway
Effigear and Valeo have made a motor gearbox combination that they display on their prototype emtb’s . Definitly interesting.

But for now I think my choice would be a kindernay Vii with a Gates Carbon belt on a Pole Voima super enduro emtb. The kindernay is not to far off the weight of a regular dereilure system and the Pole Voima doesn’t need to split the rear swing arm to get the belt on it.

I have also played with the idea of a “digital gear system”. Meaning you have a motor and dynamo setup. The cranks are connected to the dynamo motor and the drive motor goes to the reer wheel with a belt drive.
The dynamo motor provides resistance, speed controll and generates energy to top up on what the battery gives to the motor. If it was perfectly dialed in it feel just as a regular emtb,or even better. All digitial / simulated.
I’m no engineer though. And there is probably alot of issues with it.
It for sure would mean less range? It would probably need a stronger motor? Regulation issues? And your fucked if you run out of battery. But who wants to ride a heavy ebike with a flat battery anyway? (Just don’t run out of battery. And 1000wh?)

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
100% in favour of Gearboxes.....and belts ..... Swapped my Focus Jam 2 with chain and derailleur for a Ries & Muller Delight Mountain
With Electric change Rollhof gearbox and belt drive ....
IMG_20211203_124716002.jpg

cleaning after a winter ride is simple ...no oiling , no chain wear etc Beautiful gear changes ....The downsides are Extra weight in the wrong place , if you lose battery power you cant change gear.. and replacement belt costs £80+ But should last for multi thousands of miles
The Rollhof is not the best for MTBs but all that is available in a production MTB.
The integrated motor/gearbox systems are taking an age to come to market but they should solve these small problems The REVONTE would be my choice.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Effigear and Valeo have made a motor gearbox combination that they display on their prototype emtb’s . Definitly interesting.

But for now I think my choice would be a kindernay Vii with a Gates Carbon belt on a Pole Voima super enduro emtb. The kindernay is not to far off the weight of a regular dereilure system and the Pole Voima doesn’t need to split the rear swing arm to get the belt on it.

I have also played with the idea of a “digital gear system”. Meaning you have a motor and dynamo setup. The cranks are connected to the dynamo motor and the drive motor goes to the reer wheel with a belt drive.
The dynamo motor provides resistance, speed controll and generates energy to top up on what the battery gives to the motor. If it was perfectly dialed in it feel just as a regular emtb,or even better. All digitial / simulated.
I’m no engineer though. And there is probably alot of issues with it.
It for sure would mean less range? It would probably need a stronger motor? Regulation issues? And your fucked if you run out of battery. But who wants to ride a heavy ebike with a flat battery anyway? (Just don’t run out of battery. And 1000wh?)

I like the gen-set idea.
I believe even with no battery, the envisioned dynamo could still operate a bicycle, all be it with small negative assist.

This has the potential to completely eliminate the need for gear changers.

Last edited:

V86

Jul 13, 2018
Norway
100% in favour of Gearboxes.....and belts ..... Swapped my Focus Jam 2 with chain and derailleur for a Ries & Muller Delight Mountain
With Electric change Rollhof gearbox and belt drive .... View attachment 87721
cleaning after a winter ride is simple ...no oiling , no chain wear etc Beautiful gear changes ....The downsides are Extra weight in the wrong place , if you lose battery power you cant change gear.. and replacement belt costs £80+ But should last for multi thousands of miles
The Rollhof is not the best for MTBs but all that is available in a production MTB.
The integrated motor/gearbox systems are taking an age to come to market but they should solve these small problems The REVONTE would be my choice.

The Kindernay Vii is 1,2kg compared to the rollhoff wich is about 1.7kg unsprung weight?
If you take a reguler dereilure system with the gears, dereilure and hub, the weight penalty with the kindernay vii is not that much. But of course moving the gears to the mid drive would make it better than a standard dereilure system.
A belt is also alot lighter than a chain.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Should e-Bikes have gearboxes is a non-sensical question because some e-bikes already have gearboxes.

Did you mean should all e-bikes have gearboxes? If so, the answer is most certainly "no". In other words, if the rider wants a gearbox, he/she should have a gearbox. But if the rider doesn't want a gearbox, he/she should not have a gearbox.

In other words, riders should have whatever they want. We all have different needs and preferences.

Konk211

Aug 10, 2020
Lake Havasu city, az.
I personally have put off buying a new ebike because of the lack of options on drivetrain. I've spent more money and frustration on std. Drivetrain than anything on my bike. Waiting on a gearbox bike, it just seems it's taking longer than promised. So I maybe waiting awhile..

Revonte seems like the most promising to me, not really a gear box but same effect. Seems overbuilt for a enduro style longtravel bike because of weight. Looks incredible for urban or delivery style bikes.

"But for now I think my choice would be a kindernay Vii with a Gates Carbon belt on a Pole Voima super enduro emtb. The kindernay is not to far off the weight of a regular dereilure system and the Pole Voima doesn’t need to split the rear swing arm to get the belt."

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
The first one in production in any semi substantial numbers that I know about. Nice torque, 130nm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles