Shorter Crank Arms

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
Hi- I am wondering the same thing. I am thinking shorter cranks on my Haibike Fullseven,7, Sduro. Yamaha PW as well. I have never had as many pedal strikes on my previous EMTB's, as I do now. I am pretty confused as the BB seems exactly same height off the ground as the 2 other EMTBs we have

Hai Volume

Jul 9, 2018
USA
Hi- I am wondering the same thing. I am thinking shorter cranks on my Haibike Fullseven,7, Sduro. Yamaha PW as well. I have never had as many pedal strikes on my previous EMTB's, as I do now. I am pretty confused as the BB seems exactly same height off the ground as the 2 other EMTBs we have

Too much sag in your suspension? Are your other e-bikes hardtails, because rear suspension requires a higher unladen BB height to end up with a similar BB height with rider aboard.

Hai Volume

Jul 9, 2018
USA
I'm also curious about crankarm compatibility. I *think* the bike uses standard crankarms, but not sure. I wouldn't mind 170's instead of the stock 175's to quell the occasional pedal strike that I get. For my XDURO Allmtn 6.0, it's not a big issue, but I do notice more strikes on this bike compared to my analog mtn bikes. Part of that is I'm just spinning at a higher cadence more often to stay in the motor's "power band." Then again, maybe I just need a few extra psi in the rear shock.

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
Too much sag in your suspension? Are your other e-bikes hardtails, because rear suspension requires a higher unladen BB height to end up with a similar BB height with rider aboard.
One is a hard tail but the other is a Cube full sus. You might be right about sag- I'll check again- but I also thought it might be the pedals- just that bit bigger. I wondered if anyone else had it with Haibike in particular

rocky.28965

Sep 29, 2018
Central Otago, NZ
I have the suspension set fairly firm & I'm only 140 lbs.
My previous non assisted ride was set the same.
Never had the same issue & it was only 24'' where as the Haibike is 29''.
I think it's the extra width, the pedals are further apart.
They could be a bit closer in as they clear the rear forks by more than a inch.
165's would certainly help.
Would anyone know a make or part number.
Not that easy getting parts in NZ.

Last edited:

SteveS

Aug 5, 2018
Colorado
I have an sduro fullnine 6.5 and I seem to have more pedal strikes than I expected, but I'm also about 30 lbs heavier than I expected... I experience strikes mostly when the rear suspension is compressed. Can you engage lockout and see if that makes a difference?

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I have an sduro fullnine 6.5 and I seem to have more pedal strikes than I expected, but I'm also about 30 lbs heavier than I expected... I experience strikes mostly when the rear suspension is compressed. Can you engage lockout and see if that makes a difference?
You might be blowing through the last 50% of the shock stroke ( i was) so I fitted the large volume spacer - and that has made a huge difference - only trouble is, I need to fix 2 of my other bikes now!

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Sounds interesting.
What does that involve?
Dead easy - first get the spacer I went from the stock small one to the large one

1 deflate the shock
2 unscrew the air can
3 Slide down the bottom out plate
4 unclip the standard spacer
5 clip in your bigger spacer - add some slick honey at this stage if you want
6 screw the air can back on
7 reinflate
8 go out and ride and to find the rear end transformed

I think anyone > 90KG on the scales needs to do this.

Takes about 5 mins and no tools required.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I'm only 65kg so I guess it won't help me much.
all depends if you are bottoming out on long rough decents with the occasional air time, its a very unsetteling felling which cant be helped by air pressure. if you dont know what I am describing then perhaps you are lucky dont have the problem!

I have it on my Yeti and Heckler and Moetrra -

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
You can get shorter isis cranks from Miranda, I would go for 165mm though.
Merlin cycles sell them. 35 quid.
I looked at Miranda and they have 6 sides, my 2017 Yaamaha has 4 sides(square), do you have any idea where 155 or 160 are available? Thanks
Ps. I started with 175, now i have 165.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Long cranks make no sense. I actually saw an article that said short cranks are not as efficient because you have less leverage. That is not how it works. You can just use a smaller chainring and get the same end result. The reason for long vs short cranks is not to get more leverage - it is to match the leg's kinematics.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles