Shorter Crank Arms on Levo / Kenevo?

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
This forum is simply the best for eMTB-riders (y)
Always lots of inspiration and good advices for any "problem".

After reading this thread about shorter cranks, I have mounted the 152 mm Miranda on my Levo. Before I experienced 3-4 cranks per ride - This past week I have been riding about 80 miles with no strokes and just one or two crank-kisses.
The pedaling feels the same - but the my confidence in my riding has grown a whole lot.
Thx again to the members here :)

( I bought these - bolts were included - Miranda 152 mm )

They’re a bargain!

@Rob Hancill - you could bend a pair a ride at that price! ?

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I'm still struggling to find decent 150-155mm cranks...... Miranda and Praxis are made of cheese.... anyone got any better experiences?

On recommendation from @Kiwi in Wales I’m on 140mm - obvious improvement for pedal strikes but in my view also an improvement by increased cadence which makes the motor work much better. If you’re interested let me know and I’ll dig out the info.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I done the 150mm uni cycle cranks. Needed to be modified to fit but they’re tough as nails and I l’ve hit them pretty hard.

F26B064D-27F9-4600-8325-E8016E352EFD.jpeg

7F62E56F-DACE-4C34-BF9D-26D9129E518A.jpeg

C643E482-BA0E-4C18-A3CD-F1E3CA527741.jpeg

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Rob, I also took "kiwi in wales" advice..in another thread, and have been looking for the right 150mm cranks.. but couldn't get definite info on what cranks my Kenevo needed. So I pulled them off the bike and measured them! Then compared them to the Q-factor chart on the Miranda site, and found them to be Q4/Q8.
And after talking by mail with "Felipe" from Miranda, he said their recommendation for the Levo/kenevo is the "Kapa O" crank with a Q-factor of Q4/Q8, made special for Specialized ebikes.
I have ordered them.. (50€) should be here in a couple of days..
Will keep you posted.
Attaching my measurements (in the black labels) on top of the Miranda specs.
Tim
Screenshot_20190720_151743.jpg
Screenshot_20190720_151323.jpg

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I have an Haibike Yamaha 2017. It came with 175 that was bad where i ride plus i wanted the option of replacing my 3.0 with 2.8 so i went with 165, just a great change. Where can we find 160? Thanks

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Rob, I also took "kiwi in wales" advice..in another thread, and have been looking for the right 150mm cranks.. but couldn't get definite info on what cranks my Kenevo needed. So I pulled them off the bike and measured them! Then compared them to the Q-factor chart on the Miranda site, and found them to be Q4/Q8.
And after talking by mail with "Felipe" from Miranda, he said their recommendation for the Levo/kenevo is the "Kapa O" crank with a Q-factor of Q4/Q8, made special for Specialized ebikes.
Will keep you posted.
Tim
View attachment 16233 View attachment 16234

Update :
This is what you get for 50€ (plus 40€ two day shipping, in my case)
The Miranda " Kappa O" 150mm crank arms, including crank bolts
( Not self extracting, can be added later.
In Q-8 and Q-4 form factor, specialy, for the Specialized Levo/Kenevo!
IMG_20190725_224748.jpg
IMG_20190725_173300.jpg
IMG_20190725_173247.jpg
IMG_20190725_173230.jpg

IMG_20190725_224748.jpg

The cranks have the threads for the self extracting lock ring(22mm thread, unfortunately the original praxis crank comes with a 26mm lock ring, that can't be transfered to the Miranda's) but they come with a standard non- extracting bolt- that means you will need a crank puller to remove them. Even though the nicely padded box has a spot for the self extracting lock rings...odd. another problem as mentioned before me, is the pedal threads have paint in them , that makes it verry difficult to start the pedal threads without cross threading or damaging them.. so take great care to start them straight! This should have been cleaned out Before! Shipping the product. Miranda - check your quality control!
Otherwise, an amazing looking crank, that comes in many lengths, and Q-form options.

IMG_20190725_184049.jpg

Last edited:

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Update :
This is what you get for 50€ (plus 40€ two day shipping, in my case)
The Miranda " Kappa O" 150mm crank arms, including crank bolts
( Not self extracting, can be added later.
In Q-8 and Q-4 form factor, specialy, for the Specialized Levo/Kenevo!
View attachment 16314 View attachment 16313 View attachment 16312 View attachment 16311
View attachment 16314

The cranks have the threads for the self extracting lock ring(22mm thread, unfortunately the original praxis crank comes with a 26mm lock ring, that can't be transfered to the Miranda's) but they come with a standard non- extracting bolt- that means you will need a crank puller to remove them. Even though the nicely padded box has a spot for the self extracting lock rings...odd. another problem as mentioned before me, is the pedal threads have paint in them , that makes it verry difficult to start the pedal threads without cross threading or damaging them.. so take great care to start them straight! This should have been cleaned out Before! Shipping the product. Miranda - check your quality control!
Otherwise, an amazing looking crank, that comes in many lengths, and Q-form options.

View attachment 16315

The installation:
Was straightforward, other than the pedal thread issue, that is verry touchy! I recommend sticking an Allen tool thrue the crank hole into the pedal to keep it straight as you start the threads, and watch closely it doesn't start crooked!
I was replacing the original "Praxis" 165mm cranks, so I got 150mm... Hoping to make a big difference in my " pedal strike issue's"...
The difference in weight, as you can see from the pictures, is not great, only 40grams less for the Miranda's. ( 540gr. For the Praxis 165mm - and 500gr. For the Miranda 150mm. (Minus the 1kg. Sugar bag :) )
They look great! On the bike, and the Q-form factor looks spot on, like the original Praxis cranks.
"The proof is in the pudding"! As they say.. so tommorow morning will take them on a ride and let you know..
Tim.
IMG_20190725_190650.jpg
IMG_20190725_190700.jpg
IMG_20190725_192254.jpg

IMG_20190725_175203.jpg
IMG_20190725_181441.jpg

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
The installation:
Was straightforward, other than the pedal thread issue, that is verry touchy! I recommend sticking an Allen tool thrue the crank hole into the pedal to keep it straight as you start the threads, and watch closely it doesn't start crooked!
I was replacing the original "Praxis" 165mm cranks, so I got 150mm... Hoping to make a big difference in my " pedal strike issue's"...
The difference in weight, as you can see from the pictures, is not great, only 40grams less for the Miranda's. ( 540gr. For the Praxis 165mm - and 500gr. For the Miranda 150mm. (Minus the 1kg. Sugar bag :) )
They look great! On the bike, and the Q-form factor looks spot on, like the original Praxis cranks.
"The proof is in the pudding"! As they say.. so tommorow morning will take them on a ride and let you know..
Tim.
View attachment 16318 View attachment 16319 View attachment 16320
View attachment 16316 View attachment 16317

As promised, here are my thoughts on the Miranda Kapa O 150mm cranks.
After several long hard rides I can safely say, at least! 90% of my pedal strike problems are gone! I can now pedal while climbing over most obstacles I had to "race up to and coast over". And feel much safer.
I almost, disregard my pedals now, so I scrape them a bit when I get reckless, but another nice thing about the Miranda's it the squared off end on the crank, that saves you another 5mm and also when you do hit, it's the pedal scraping not the crank!
The Kapa's seem verry well built and have no flex, and look great in my opinion.
Other effects I noticed:
the smaller cranks increased my cadence slightly, which for me is good, as I tend to get into a low cadence "grind" and have to constantly watch my cadence, to keep up my efficiency. This also makes my pedaling "rounder" and smoother, and makes hill climbing slightly easier, and in a higher gear!
The overall effect is as if your whole gear set was "shifted" slightly lower, by about one gear.
As if you now have one lower gear, but also, as if you lost! Your last top gear! As I find my top speed maxe's out at a slightly slower speed. This may be the only ' downside" I've found.
As for stability - standing on flat pedals, ripping downhill thrue rockgardens.. and so on.. I felt no difference from before.
All in all I am verry! Pleased with these pedals, and would recommend them to anyone with pedal strikes, or even without! It just makes the riding that much easier and worry free.
I would like to thank @Kiwi in Wales for his explanations and excellent advice ?
Tim

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
As promised, here are my thoughts on the Miranda Kapa O 150mm cranks.
After several long hard rides I can safely say, at least! 90% of my pedal strike problems are gone! I can now pedal while climbing over most obstacles I had to "race up to and coast over". And feel much safer.
I almost, disregard my pedals now, so I scrape them a bit when I get reckless, but another nice thing about the Miranda's it the squared off end on the crank, that saves you another 5mm and also when you do hit, it's the pedal scraping not the crank!
The Kapa's seem verry well built and have no flex, and look great in my opinion.
Other effects I noticed:
the smaller cranks increased my cadence slightly, which for me is good, as I tend to get into a low cadence "grind" and have to constantly watch my cadence, to keep up my efficiency. This also makes my pedaling "rounder" and smoother, and makes hill climbing slightly easier, and in a higher gear!
The overall effect is as if your whole gear set was "shifted" slightly lower, by about one gear.
As if you now have one lower gear, but also, as if you lost! Your last top gear! As I find my top speed maxe's out at a slightly slower speed. This may be the only ' downside" I've found.
As for stability - standing on flat pedals, ripping downhill thrue rockgardens.. and so on.. I felt no difference from before.
All in all I am verry! Pleased with these pedals, and would recommend them to anyone with pedal strikes, or even without! It just makes the riding that much easier and worry free.
I would like to thank @Kiwi in Wales for his explanations and excellent advice ?
Tim
Hi Tim, you are most welcome

If you want to get hold of a set of self extracting bolts for your crank arms either of these should fit.

EB6EA130-F528-42D8-AA9B-3A290E84D358.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Thanks for that .. Ordered ! :)

Edit :

A link to the cheaper "pair" of self extracting crank bolts suggested by Kiwi above :

Self-Extracting Splined Crank Bolts Pair M15 - Black or Red (Pack of 2) | eBay

Anyone know if these will work with the Indy ISIS Freestyle Splined Cranks – 140mm – Pair that Stumpy put the link to above ?
They will, I currently have the cranks and the bolts on my Levo.
You will need a Park tool SPA2 or something similar (thin long nose pliers) to fit and tighten the threaded inner ring.

Chainreaction
512B9DE3-8C54-4360-A4E4-D64F948CEC68.jpeg

Last edited:

dreads6

Mar 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Will keep you posted.
Tim
View attachment 16233 View attachment 16234
Hi Tim i can't find these listed on the miranda website?? it dosn't show 150mm?
And these will fit the 2019 levo as see ypu fitted them on the kenevo

Thanks

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Hi Tim i can't find these listed on the miranda website?? it dosn't show 150mm?
And these will fit the 2019 levo as see ypu fitted them on the kenevo

Thanks

Yes, these are the ones I got..I see they are listed as out of stock, but ask them, how long it will take to get them.. they answered my mails.andvwere verry helpfull.
You could get the Delta model. Personally I think the Kapa is stronger and better. It's also what they recommend, and there is no difference in price so..
Tim
Screenshot_20190811_074239_com.android.chrome.jpg

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
Man i get some pedal strikes on my 19 model. Surprised more people don't complain about it. Smashed my leg good today when the pedal stabbed the grip bolts into it during a strike.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Experienced the same on my 2018.

After mounting the 152 mm Mirandas I only get pedal strikes when I i pedal i very fast corners :cool:
My only question is when you are on the pedals can you still move forward/backward like on 170mm(enough balance)? I am hesitating between 160 or less, now on 165 that are not that bad but a tad too long for where i ride. Thanks

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
My only question is when you are on the pedals can you still move forward/backward like on 170mm(enough balance)? I am hesitating between 160 or less, now on 165 that are not that bad but a tad too long for where i ride. Thanks

You won't notice any difference when standing on the pedals.. just s slightly higher cadence..
Tim

DanDilla

Jun 11, 2018
Germany
I got the last pair of the 150s :p and am quite happy.
definetly a higher cadence throughout, what's definetly better for the lifespan of your cassette (less wear on the 10/11tcog where the wear is the highest).

on The first ride there’s a difference but nothing you wont get used to. Feels much better for me.
And no pedal strikes since, even on a trail I never made completely without before.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles