Shorter Crank Arms on Levo / Kenevo?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Miranda's Delta SH (shimano) came back in stock overnight, just ordered 155mm. I'll wait to see how they feel but if my current SDG dropper (150mm) has to come out to compensate I'll probably order a Oneup in 170mm.

vannibombonato

Sep 14, 2018
italy
Hi all,
can you confirm the Miranda Kappa, ISIS mount, with the option for "specialized levo" and not the brose option, are compatible with the kenevo 2020?

Thanks

eightyHD

Dec 5, 2018
USA
150 kappa 0 specialized levo q factor for the 2019 kenevo on and tested! Couldnt tell they were shorter while riding and didn't bang into the rocks anymore. 5 stars to Miranda!

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
hope!
ebike.jpg

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Dont the hope cranks have a too big offset?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I tried 155 and didn’t like them. I think 165 would be the sweet spot.

Hope cranks are nice but far too expensive for me.

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
I'm just wondering how shorter cranks cause higher cadence? Because the shorter arm transfers less power so you need a lower gear? If the gear stays the same cadence should stay the same.
So I agree. The slowest rotating part in the gear box with all speed being equal is the center shaft and the speed increases in rotation as you progress out from center. This means shorter cranks should technically be rotating slower to achieve the same speed such as a Miranda 150mm crank vs. Praxis 165mm or any other brand. The cadence, if RPM, should be equal but the speed of rotation should be less to achieve the same speed not more because shorter is slower. The considerations for change are purely decrease in leverage going shorter, rock strike decrease and maybe improving knee issues plus you must consider seat height for shorter cranks and adjustment may be needed to raise seat height to achieve full leg extension at bottom of rotation effectively changing geometry and therefore maybe comfort as your butt height may need to go up.
I think I am going to try decreasing from 165 to 155 maybe even 150 with Miranda cranks then repost.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I've been running 155 Miranda for a few weeks now on my Decoy. Pedal strikes have decreased a lot and so far I don't feel them as strange for power or feel while riding, not really noticeable maybe because of motor power. I had to raise the post about half the distance of the difference of the crank length to feel proper extension, what I don't like about that is now the seat doesn't feel as dropped as before which I may address with another longer travel post at a later date. For what they cost I don't regret it, I may try going back to the 165's at some point to see if there's a stand out reason for longer but massive pedal strikes suck and no matter how much you try to avoid eventually you strike hard. I am a fan of being able to slam the seat low and even just the 5ish mm I raised is the most noticeable side effect of shorter cranks for my riding.

ibisacura

Dec 13, 2019
Colorado
I run Nimbus Venture 150mm cranks on my ebike. Please see the picture below.
To balance up the length of the cranks I run a 170mm OneUp dropper. I also have 180mm to 150mm Lyrik dual position forks. My head angle is 65 degrees.Please note, Before I had my ebike, I always ran all of my analogue bikes with 165mm cranks so when I changed down to 150mm I did not notice any difference apart from a drastic reduction in pedal strikes.

The cranks are the Venture2 models. I got these from unicycle.com. There is an updated version called the Nimbus VCX which are stronger but they will not fit unless you modify them by filing or grinding them down a bit where they connect to the motor as they will scrape the motor covers on the Levo 2017. I weigh in at 75kgs all kitted up and have had no issues with the strength of these cranks.

Before I made the purchase I had a long conversation with the uni cycle.com man to check out his view on shorter cranks and pedal strikes. It was a very interesting conversation and he suggested 150mm would be fine to start with but said I could go shorter if I was still getting pedal strikes. I tried the 150’s and found them to be perfect for my style of riding.

They may not suit you but for me, they were exactly what I needed. By the way, he runs 100mm cranks (yes 100mm) on his off road unicycle and also 100mm on the pennyfarthing he races so this was a real eye opener to me and made me think I may try some shorter ones in the near future, possibly a set of 135mm ones?

Yes, I have read the emtb magazine article when it was first released and for me, everyone has there own opinions. I am just going by my own experience and at least half a dozen other people who have ridden my bike. Not one of those people noticed the cranks were 150mm until I told them after our ride. All of them were running 175mm cranks on their analogue bikes and we swapped over from their bike to my bike throughout the 2 to 3 hour ride a number of times. Maybe if they were all riding ebikes instead of analogues they and I might have noticed something, I honestly don’t know. All I know is I do not feel I am losing any Watts and I do not feel I need to spin a faster cadence. I got 3 KOMs on my ride this morning and all of them were uphill segments so in my opinion the cranks can’t be robbing too much power from me.

All I can suggest to everyone here is to try them, for £48 delivered they are a bargain and the fact you will reduce your pedal strikes, to me, it’s a no brainer. Ride safe and enjoy! ?

View attachment 2091
You run these on a 2017 Levo? And did you have to modify them in any way?

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Nope, fitted straight on with no mods needed.
The only issues is...... I do not think they are available any more :(
Hi kiwi!
I too took your advice, and now am verry happy running my 155mm Miranda's. Thanks again!
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but how do you get "two positions" out of your 180mm Lyric? Is it a different cartridge!?
Thanks
Tim

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi kiwi!
I too took your advice, and now am verry happy running my 155mm Miranda's. Thanks again!
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but how do you get "two positions" out of your 180mm Lyric? Is it a different cartridge!?
Thanks
Tim
Hi Tim,
I have the older version Lyrik which has the original Charger damper. The fork has a dual position manual dial/switch on top of the left hand side fork tube. By turning the dial it instantly drops the fork down from 180mm to 150mm. Turning the dial back pops the travel back up to 180mm so I can have the best of both worlds. 180mm for the downs and 150mm for the steep climbs and inbetweens.
To be honest, I can still clear most of the steep climbs when it is set to 180mm but it is good have the ability to drop to 150mm whenever you want to. Super plush on both settings. I have not had any issues with the fork in the 4 years I have owned them but do get them serviced on a regular basis.

Details below, I am sure you could get them cheaper on FleaBay but they are not that common

3F4A4256-152F-4EE9-8928-BE3F6B778B85.jpeg

5C4F2AAF-C06B-4F19-A7B1-291CF52455A7.jpeg

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
I just received the Miranda Kappa 150mm :)

Three things :

- Now self estracting bolts are included, with good quality threads
- Threads for the pedals are really contaminated of paint ... I recommend to clean them very well before mounting them .
- What is the torque in NM to tight them up to the crank ? 40 or 50 NM ?

Thanks

Last edited:

mikmikcol

Feb 7, 2019
Adeladie
Rob, I also took "kiwi in wales" advice..in another thread, and have been looking for the right 150mm cranks.. but couldn't get definite info on what cranks my Kenevo needed. So I pulled them off the bike and measured them! Then compared them to the Q-factor chart on the Miranda site, and found them to be Q4/Q8.
And after talking by mail with "Felipe" from Miranda, he said their recommendation for the Levo/kenevo is the "Kapa O" crank with a Q-factor of Q4/Q8, made special for Specialized ebikes.
I have ordered them.. (50€) should be here in a couple of days..
Will keep you posted.
Attaching my measurements (in the black labels) on top of the Miranda specs.
Tim
View attachment 16233 View attachment 16234
Thanks, Would the Q0 Factor 160mm fit the levo?

Cheers

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
Just ordered the Miranda Kappa 0 150 mm for my 2019 Levo (with the Levo Q option). The ordering process on their website was a little troublesome. There was a problem with my VISA from the USA. It would go off site to something called eupaygo (or something like that) and hang up and never work. Gives me a bad feeling in my gut when international transactions bomb out like that. But...I wanted the crank arms so bad I tried Paypal and that method seems to have worked. Also shipping was pricey to the USA! Only a FedEx option ($34). I will post back after they get here and I try them out.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just ordered the Miranda Kappa 0 150 mm for my 2019 Levo (with the Levo Q option). The ordering process on their website was a little troublesome. There was a problem with my VISA from the USA. It would go off site to something called eupaygo (or something like that) and hang up and never work. Gives me a bad feeling in my gut when international transactions bomb out like that. But...I wanted the crank arms so bad I tried Paypal and that method seems to have worked. Also shipping was pricey to the USA! Only a FedEx option ($34). I will post back after they get here and I try them out.
I seem to remember my first Miranda order was a bit troublesome. But it was the fastest delivery I've ever had !

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Currently sat nursing a broken big toe after hitting a tree stump, 4-6 weeks off the bike. Just bought the 152mm cranks at Merlin (Robs original link) for my 2019 Levo. I appreciate the Q factor is out but not expecting to notice much difference except fewer pedal strikes and fewer broken toes!

Barto

Aug 28, 2019
Qld
Currently sat nursing a broken big toe after hitting a tree stump, 4-6 weeks off the bike. Just bought the 152mm cranks at Merlin (Robs original link) for my 2019 Levo. I appreciate the Q factor is out but not expecting to notice much difference except fewer pedal strikes and fewer broken toes!
Mate I have some but the quality is not great. The metal is soft and the thread on them has worn. The issue with this is they come loose now and fall off. I'm trying the Hope ones next. Can only speak for my situation of course.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles