Shockwiz suspension tuning

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Want to brake better, corner better and generally have more control of your bike....but have no idea how to set up your suspension to achieve this. Take the guesswork out of suspension tuning.

We now have a Shockwiz suspension tuning system available for rental and it gets great results!! - Priced at £25 for a weekends rental.

- All Custom Courses include the Shockwiz free of charge and have the benefit of us showing you how to set it up.

So why not book a course, upgrade the rider, setup your bike and tune your suspension all in one day. ??!!

* Anyone that has previously booked a course with us is also entitled to a -20% discount on rental prices.
20181101_120446.jpeg
45001811_1155639194587103_1853145587835207680_n.jpeg
45015760_1155639201253769_4878697413595889664_n.jpeg
45039271_1155639181253771_7167795311690121216_n.jpeg

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
+1 for the ShockWiz.

Definitely worth hiring one if, for whatever reason, you are unable to own one yourself.

I've used mine for both initial setups and fine tuning of air sprung forks such as RockShox Boxxer World Cup, Pike RCT3, Lyric RCT3, Reba, Sektor and Revelation models. The more user accessible adjustments your fork has the more useful it is.

I have also found it absolutely priceless for fine tuning the Cane Creek DBAir CS shock on my SWorks Enduro which was, prior to implementing the recommended ShockWiz changes, very skittish over rocky trail at speed (30 - 60km/h). The adjustability that makes this shock so good is also what also makes it a nightmare to tune.

Note - Not all forks, rear shocks, and air spring add-ons are compatible with the ShockWiz. Quarq maintain a list of known incompatible products Here.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I can totally see how a shockwiz would be helpful for setting riders bikes suspension up prior to a skills course. And I guess you'd just set all punters bikes up "balanced" in tuning style for consistency? And great if you don't have a clue about suspesnion set-up (and have no desire to learn). But... One thing I've wondered since the shockwiz was first anounced is what if your riding style doesn't fall into any one of the 4 riding styles available to tune to? eg. fast (aggressive) DH rider but not racer who likes a playful poppy bike that's right inbetween "Aggressive" and "playful". I've never had a problem setting up my suspension to match that but can't see how shockwiz could. or is the riding style customisable too? like if you prefer less sag and a less progressive end stroke. is there any option for personal preferences at all?

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
I can totally see how a shockwiz would be helpful for setting riders bikes suspension up prior to a skills course. And I guess you'd just set all punters bikes up "balanced" in tuning style for consistency? And great if you don't have a clue about suspesnion set-up (and have no desire to learn). But... One thing I've wondered since the shockwiz was first anounced is what if your riding style doesn't fall into any one of the 4 riding styles available to tune to? eg. fast (aggressive) DH rider but not racer who likes a playful poppy bike that's right inbetween "Aggressive" and "playful". I've never had a problem setting up my suspension to match that but can't see how shockwiz could. or is the riding style customisable too? like if you prefer less sag and a less progressive end stroke. is there any option for personal preferences at all?
Yes there is a custom option too .
Tuning Styles Explained

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm not actually after one. Never really had a problem setting up suspension to my preferences. Was just interested to hear how user customisable to personal preference they really are.

Wic_ed1

Oct 4, 2020
New Zealand
+1 for the ShockWiz.

Definitely worth hiring one if, for whatever reason, you are unable to own one yourself.

I've used mine for both initial setups and fine tuning of air sprung forks such as RockShox Boxxer World Cup, Pike RCT3, Lyric RCT3, Reba, Sektor and Revelation models. The more user accessible adjustments your fork has the more useful it is.

I have also found it absolutely priceless for fine tuning the Cane Creek DBAir CS shock on my SWorks Enduro which was, prior to implementing the recommended ShockWiz changes, very skittish over rocky trail at speed (30 - 60km/h). The adjustability that makes this shock so good is also what also makes it a nightmare to tune.

Note - Not all forks, rear shocks, and air spring add-ons are compatible with the ShockWiz. Quarq maintain a list of known incompatible products Here.

Hi,

How did you get on with the calibration on the boxxers? I've let the air out of mine so they bottom out and then try to fully extend as instructured, I'm unable to pull it all the way out. The only way I seem to be able to fully extend and completely bottom out is to have about 50-100PSI in there rather than fully deflating as instructed.

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Hi,

How did you get on with the calibration on the boxxers? I've let the air out of mine so they bottom out and then try to fully extend as instructured, I'm unable to pull it all the way out. The only way I seem to be able to fully extend and completely bottom out is to have about 50-100PSI in there rather than fully deflating as instructed.
I have a padded wood block that I place between the front tire and the lower crown/steerer tube. Deflate slowly. Pull the block and compress a few times. Deflate again. Works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Wic_ed1

Oct 4, 2020
New Zealand
I have a padded wood block that I place between the front tire and the lower crown/steerer tube. Deflate slowly. Pull the block and compress a few times. Deflate again. Works for me. Your mileage may vary.
When you say deflate do you mean adding air again and letting it out again?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
@All Mountain Coaching @Gary an alternative technology that has had a pretty amazing impact on the UCI DH and EWS circuits is Motion Instruments. Unlike a Shockwiz, which helps you optimize a single suspension component, the MI technology treats the bike as a system. That's actually super important for getting the best out of your bike, and for specific tracks or terrain. Check it out and let me know if you want intros to the folks there. Full disclosure, I have a small investment in the company.

Motion Instruments | Suspension Data Acquisition Systems

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Data aquisition in DH world cup is nothing new.
Top riders/teams were doing it 20+ years back

it's total overkill for 50yr old Ebikers though

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Anyone tried one of these on a Yari? I'd be interested to hear if it said to adjust HSC.
I didn't have a Yari when I used the Shockwiz on my forks and shock. I did not have HSC adjustment on the fork and no LSC or HSC on the shock, nor did I have HSR on either end. The Shockwiz does not need to know the spec of your fork or shock. But if it detects that you need to adjust the HSC or HSR or any part of potential suspension tuning then it will recommend it. The fact that you can't alter it does not affect the validity of its other recommendations.

I have a Rockshox Deluxe R Debonair shock, it has rebound damping only. This what the ShockWiz said about my shock after I had finished with it:
Baseline psi, air spring ramp, LSR, HSR, LSC, were all OK. It suggested that the HSC should be made less firm.
Pogoing, Packing, Bottoming, Bobbing, and Bouncing were all OK.​

Despite it saying that the air spring ramp was OK, I still felt that it was going through the travel too rapidly, but more air pressure just made the shock feel harsh, so I added a token to the positive side and instantly it felt better.

Recco: Accurate set up is VITAL. Get a heavier friend to help you. If you get the compression ratio wrong then everything you do after that will be wrong.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Thanks Steve. The reasomn I was asking is I may try one on my yari & see if it recommends any more than basic pressure, tokens etc before I take the plunge & buy an expensive charger 2.1 upgrade. I didn't understand what you meanty by having a heavier friend help me?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks Steve. The reasomn I was asking is I may try one on my yari & see if it recommends any more than basic pressure, tokens etc before I take the plunge & buy an expensive charger 2.1 upgrade. I didn't understand what you meanty by having a heavier friend help me?
Before I make any major suspension upgrades, I always try to get the best out of it that I can. I'd done my best but was still not happy. My mate leant me his mate's ShockWiz for free, so it was a no-brainer to give it a go. I was quite pleased that its recco was such a small mod, because that meant I could make my expensive change without that nagging doubt that it might be unnecessary.

What I meant about having a heavier friend to help is that setting up the ShockWiz is not easy. Physically fixing it to the bike is a doddle. What is not so easy is establishing what the compression ratio is for the fork or shock (essential). This requires the fork/shock to be deflated and then cycled through its travel several times. Sounds easy doesn't it? Not when you have to use a lot of strength to do so whilst also reading the results on your mobile. Then it says "insufficient data, please repeat". I did manage it by myself, but only after coming close to a heart attack.

Wic_ed1

Oct 4, 2020
New Zealand
Before I make any major suspension upgrades, I always try to get the best out of it that I can. I'd done my best but was still not happy. My mate leant me his mate's ShockWiz for free, so it was a no-brainer to give it a go. I was quite pleased that its recco was such a small mod, because that meant I could make my expensive change without that nagging doubt that it might be unnecessary.

What I meant about having a heavier friend to help is that setting up the ShockWiz is not easy. Physically fixing it to the bike is a doddle. What is not so easy is establishing what the compression ratio is for the fork or shock (essential). This requires the fork/shock to be deflated and then cycled through its travel several times. Sounds easy doesn't it? Not when you have to use a lot of strength to do so whilst also reading the results on your mobile. Then it says "insufficient data, please repeat". I did manage it by myself, but only after coming close to a heart attack.
I was having trouble if the shock was fully inflated and then deflated with the Schroder valve, basically impossible to fully extend due to the vacuum created. However when I deflated, and then removed the top of fork where the spacers were and put it back together with no air, it didn’t seem to have the vacuum effect and makes calibration a breeze

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was having trouble if the shock was fully inflated and then deflated with the Schroder valve, basically impossible to fully extend due to the vacuum created. However when I deflated, and then removed the top of fork where the spacers were and put it back together with no air, it didn’t seem to have the vacuum effect and makes calibration a breeze
Good tip, how did you get on with the shock?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I’ll let you know in a few days once my coil shock is replaced with the float X2, it gets installed Tuesday.

For a starting point on the X2, ignore the recommended LSC/HSC (compression) settings from your frame manufacturer. Start with it full open or no more than 1-2 clicks in. Use their recommended rebound as a starting point. I've found this to be a great setup on every X2/Grip 2 bike I've owned or tuned for friends.

Wic_ed1

Oct 4, 2020
New Zealand
For a starting point on the X2, ignore the recommended LSC/HSC (compression) settings from your frame manufacturer. Start with it full open or no more than 1-2 clicks in. Use their recommended rebound as a starting point. I've found this to be a great setup on every X2/Grip 2 bike I've owned or tuned for friends.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll give it a go and let the shockwiz works it’s magic from there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles