ShockWiz and rear shock

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have a Fox Float DPS Shock on the rear of my Levo SL Expert.
I set the shock To a pretty much default setting - approx 25-30% sag, and the rebound / compression set in the middle.
After a few runs, my ShockWiz suggested I needed less rebound - so I turned that down a couple of clicks.
Due to the snow yesterday, my ride was a bit tame.

I reset the ShockWiz this morning, and tried again. This was my results...

4E147DB6-6969-4EC6-BCD1-05CC0DB9F665.png

ABA9152B-6786-4C80-8F4C-D96642DE6322.png

On one hand it’s telling me ‘all good’, but the score is only 84%. On the RockShox Deluxe RT3 DebonAir I had on my Rail, I managed to get it to 100% in 2 rides.

Going by the suggestions... removing air from the baseline pressure is simple. I don’t have separate high / low speed compression, so I guess I just turn the single adjustment a couple of clicks?
Air Spring Ramp... do rear shocks have spacers?

On another note... the Fox Performance Elite 34 fork is better than expected - but I feel like I’m missing HSC and LSC on this in comparison to my previous Lyric.
Is there an upgrade to the fork that can add this?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Answer to one of my questions... although I’ll try just removing some air first before opening it up!

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
"all good" means the shockwiz has enough data - you don't need to ride any further.
It need all kind of terrain to make suggestions.

Your shock might have spacers....mine has (DPX2)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't believe that HSC is a tunable option on your shock, so ignore that. The reduction in baseline pressure is quick and easy to do at zero cost, so do that now, zero the readings and repeat the run. You may find that some of the other recommendations will change. If it still recommends something that you can change, like removing spacers to tune the air spring ramp, then do that. It is also quick and easy to do at zero cost.
Without spending serious money on an upgrade, you've got it as good as it gets. :)

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
If it still recommends something that you can change, like removing spacers to tune the air spring ramp, then do that. It is also quick and easy to do at zero cost.

Some FOX comes with spacers in different thickness - so you have to insert a thinner spacer.
Mine did not come with these, so I have yo buy them (quite cheap actually).
But first you need to find out, what thickness is in your shock now :)

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
On another note... the Fox Performance Elite 34 fork is better than expected - but I feel like I’m missing HSC and LSC on this in comparison to my previous Lyric.

The fork on the Expert is a Performance isn’t it? This is GRIP based (Performance and Rhythm) rather than FIT4 (Performance Elite and Factory). The FIT4 in the Elite/Factory does have some adjustment of the compression balance but not separate HSC and LSC like the 36. The Performance doesn’t have this, just the sweep lever.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The fork on the Expert is a Performance isn’t it? This is GRIP based (Performance and Rhythm) rather than FIT4 (Performance Elite and Factory). The FIT4 in the Elite/Factory does have some adjustment of the compression balance but not separate HSC and LSC like the 36. The Performance doesn’t have this, just the sweep lever.

Yes, it’s the Performance... and it just has a single lever. Can I upgrade to the FIT4 damper, or should I just be looking at upgrading to a Lyric or 36?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Both my weekend rides were much less aggressive than normal due to the snow and ice... so perhaps the shock didn’t see what it usually would?

I think I’ll just reset the settings and try again next weekend before making any changes. I can always let a bit of air out on the trail and turn the dials if it tells me to!

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Yes, it’s the Performance... and it just has a single lever. Can I upgrade to the FIT4 damper, or should I just be looking at upgrading to a Lyric or 36?

I don’t think you can upgrade as I looked around for this. Willing to be corrected though. If you want the adjustment it’s a 36 (or Lyrik).

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus

The Fit4 is a downgrade from FitGrip IMO.

You can upgrade to GRIP2 if you must, the difference is not worth the dollars.

Fitgrip is a very underappreciated damper, it's proving reliable as an old boot, setup is extremely easy and performance is 9/10th's as good as the Grip2 with 4 way adjustable damper.

Regarding shockwiz, I will start with I am not the biggest fan however it has some merits.

Always start at the top of the suggestions and work your way down. Only change one tuning factor at a time. It works best if you replicate on the same trail taking the same lines obviously.

Just remember you are getting the algorithm's suggested tune. Not what YOU want. Suspension is such a personal thing, you might have 2 guys on the same bike, same weight and same speed and yet their settings will wildly differ.

Take a short 30 second section of trail that's easily repeatable. Put your clickers in the middle to start. Do a run and then starting with rebound do a run with 3 clicks faster, then a run 3 clicks slower from baseline.

All you need to ask yourself is "better or worse" don't overthink it. It's simple. Then rinse and repeat with compression.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I
On one hand it’s telling me ‘all good’, but the score is only 84%. On the RockShox Deluxe RT3 DebonAir I had on my Rail, I managed to get it to 100% in 2 rides.

Going by the suggestions... removing air from the baseline pressure is simple. I don’t have separate high / low speed compression, so I guess I just turn the single adjustment a couple of clicks?
Air Spring Ramp... do rear shocks have spacers?

- "ALL GOOD" doesn't mean your shock is setup all good - it means you rode enough variety of terrain for the ShockWiz to do its thing.

- "84%" is your current, actual shock setup score. Consider it a B+ grade.

I've had both the first gen and the SRAM-version ShockWiz, and I have 3 tips for you:

1. ONE CHANGE AT A TIME.
It doesn't matter if you try changing air pressure, changing any dials, adding volume spacers - just make sure that you pick ONE setting only, make ONE change, reset ShockWIz and then ride again. Each setting affects the others, and many times making one setting change improves the other suggestions. Do not change multiple settings at the same time! And again - RESET the ShockWiz after each change - amd always ride to 100% confidence for the best results.

2. JUST BECAUSE IT SAYS SO, DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO.
So lets say you make some setting changes, reset ShockWiz, go for a ride, and your bike feels great! It responds like you want it to, and you feel confident and in control. Then you get to the bottom of the trail, check the ShockWiz data, and ShockWiz tells you you need to make some changes. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE THESE SUGGESTED CHANGES IF YOUR BIKE FEELS GREAT! ShockWiz isn't meant to tell you exactly how to setup your fork/shock; it is simply a tuning tool that give you recommendations, but in the end you have to go by what feels right. If you ride and the bike doesn't feel dialed-in, use ShockWiz to point you to the settings you need to try changing. If your bike feels awesome, LEAVE IT AS IS!

3. ONE TRAIL ONLY.
Once you get your bike dialed in (and ShockWiz says all-green 100% with your tuning) then you're pretty much done... for that day... on that trail... in that weather. Save/Write every suspension setting, along with what trail and any environmental notes (weather, humidity, trail condition, etc.) because the moment you go to a different trail on a different day, your tuning will most likely not be 100% anymore, because you've changed the conditions you're riding in. In other words, every successful 100% tune is for that instance only. ShockWiz isn't supposed to be a "one-and-done" device - unless you only ride one single trail in one set of conditions all the time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles