• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

Crou

Jun 3, 2019
Finland
Just bought the Android app. One suggestion would be to add a note that you need to give the app GPS permissions in order to access bluetooth. I thought the app had no use for GPS and couldn't figure out why I couldn't connect. That's why.

Too bad I missed the license give away and didn't look at the description for the additional license cost. guess I'll stick to adjusting the assistance.

If one were to change the region from EU to US do any other values get written or is it just that? The SW is a black box so I imagine I'm not the only one concerned the app not writing anything else then the region (warranty concern).

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
so what does these blackbox numbers&letters mean?
It's for statistics. All known historical data are displayed as "Total distance" and etc. All other data that are stored in Motor/Display/Switch memory are displayed at "Black box"

Last edited:

Shaunovan

Mar 2, 2019
Paisley
Bought the app, paid my 30 euros to a faceless dude from Russia with more than a bit of scepticism,but within minutes received a link to unlock all the features of the app and connected it via the bluetooth on my phone. Hey presto, all i did was change the region from Europe to the US and change my wheel circumference from 27.5" to 26" and i was hitting almost 30mph unrestricted and loving it!! No real noticeable difference unless on tarmac as i didnt change any of the assist levels with fear of damaging the motor but so far... so good. By far the cheapest upgrade you can make if you want that extra few MPH :)(y)

paoloc971

May 2, 2019
torino
hi Vadl, as with your app you are able to read the battery status, do you think you could do something to make it possible to read this percentage on the bike display instead of the five bars shown actually? I think that it wuold be really appreciated!

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
hi Vadl, as with your app you are able to read the battery status, do you think you could do something to make it possible to read this percentage on the bike display instead of the five bars shown actually? I think that it wuold be really appreciated!
It requires to make a custom firmware for a SC unit. So, I think, it worthless

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
I don't think that series E8000 display is capable to be connected by bluetooth to a device and at the same time be on running mode because even the Shimano app E-Ride that his purpose is to be an extra advanced monitor work with the others series but not E8000.

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Bought the app, paid my 30 euros to a faceless dude from Russia with more than a bit of scepticism,but within minutes received a link to unlock all the features of the app and connected it via the bluetooth on my phone. Hey presto, all i did was change the region from Europe to the US and change my wheel circumference from 27.5" to 26" and i was hitting almost 30mph unrestricted and loving it!! No real noticeable difference unless on tarmac as i didnt change any of the assist levels with fear of damaging the motor but so far... so good. By far the cheapest upgrade you can make if you want that extra few MPH :)(y)
Was it easy to derestrict?
Is it just pay 30euros and then connect phone app to bike.
I've been put off as I thought I had to downgrade firmware and then connect bike to a PC using a Shimano interface..... Or am I over complicating things?

Garrit Verway

Sep 18, 2018
Bright 3741 Australia
My views on steps Un locker program for Merida E160 - 900E ( firmware 4.5.1/4.0.7)
I downloaded the app stepsunlocker from google play, au $2.49, it supplied all the information re firmware, battery and a variety of other curiosities, I then contacted stepsunlocker,com (the faceless person on the internet, tongue in cheek ) requesting licence recieved return email, with where and how to pay and there would be no chance of a refund, I accepted and then recieved a PayPal a/c with advice and waiver, I payed the 30 Euro and within 1hour received licence for download, downloaded the licence to phone, bingo changed EU to USA had immediate 32 kph, I am now experimenting with wheel circumference settings to establish true gps speed at steps dash board readout, which appears to lower motor assist to 30 kph with true GPS speed.
Conclusion a great feature for those wanting that bit more speed 30ish kph and playing around with assistance levels, but in my view not wattage output settings.
And a special thanks to Vadll for all his/their efforts to produce a great program/app at a sensible price.

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
I've published a new version (1.0.5) on Google Play. It should work with E8000 display
Downloaded App but fails to connect to bike E8000 as fails at 6% progress and indicates authentication error. I have not set a new bike PIN so default should work? Tried manually entering the standard code 000000 and tried again but still no joy?

Any advice welcome please as to what I could try?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
PIN of your bike is definitely changed. Try to connect via E-Tube if you think that issues are in STEPSUnlocker

Downloaded App but fails to connect to bike E8000 as fails at 6% progress and indicates authentication error. I have not set a new bike PIN so default should work? Tried manually entering the standard code 000000 and tried again but still no joy?

Any advice welcome please as to what I could try?

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Thanks will give that a try and report back.
Connected with E-Tube app no problem. Then changes the pass code PIN. Retried with STEPSUnlocker but it won't now connect having entered and updated the PIN on the APP? Now I can't connect to the bike with either E-Tube or StepsUnlocker apps?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
STEPS Unlocker doesn't change PIN of your bike. It just uses it for authorization.

Connected with E-Tube app no problem. Then changes the pass code PIN. Retried with STEPSUnlocker but it won't now connect having entered and updated the PIN on the APP? Now I can't connect to the bike with either E-Tube or StepsUnlocker apps?

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Okay managed to rest all bluetooth connections on phone and android tablet and when trying to connect it asked for pairing PIN so I can now connect with all apps and see the bike information. My next issue is that the android tablet will not allow me to request a license as the Google Play services requires updating and it fails to update maybe due to being running Android 5?. Is there another way of requesting a license?

Vaunz

Jun 10, 2019
Denmark
We you can region via the app, is does it show up in the Shimano system log?
Let’s say I have a warranty issue, and I change the region back to EU from Us.

Vaunz

Jun 10, 2019
Denmark
Also I can see the downgrade guide, how can we upgrade or downgrade to a stock firmware? The firmware used is 5.3 as I understand it. And the current original is 4.4 (for the 6100/7000).

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
5.3 is the original FW 4.3 with the fake number
Also I can see the downgrade guide, how can we upgrade or downgrade to a stock firmware? The firmware used is 5.3 as I understand it. And the current original is 4.4 (for the 6100/7000).

Vaunz

Jun 10, 2019
Denmark
But can I upgrade to the newest stock firmware when it comes out. Let’s say it’s 4.5. It’s lower than the 5.3. Can the e-tube app do that?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Yes! Just delete files that you copied to ETube folder

But can I upgrade to the newest stock firmware when it comes out. Let’s say it’s 4.5. It’s lower than the 5.3. Can the e-tube app do that?

Vaunz

Jun 10, 2019
Denmark
Perfect! I just wanted to make sure I could go back to stock settings for service at my local bike shop.
As for my 2nd question, it will show up in the Shimano system log as an upgrade to 5.3?

Shaunovan

Mar 2, 2019
Paisley
Was it easy to derestrict?
Is it just pay 30euros and then connect phone app to bike.
I've been put off as I thought I had to downgrade firmware and then connect bike to a PC using a Shimano interface..... Or am I over complicating things?

No...just connect your phone via the app..its very easy

kaiosid

Jun 20, 2019
germany
It´s the app I was waiting for! My German "collleagues" have one too, but the price tag is a little bit disturbing, given the fact that you need an interface cable and basically three programs. Typical over-engineering ;)
I updated the firmware yesterday, just to realize that this app exists. Tried do downgrade - didn´t work.
Learned that despite the app is installed on the SD, you find the FW folder on the phone´s main memory, NOT on the SD.
Worked like a charm - did send the money to wherever it was necessary to be sent to - received the license key within minutes - adjusted the region - just back from a nice trip. Couldn´t be happier.
This is the best e-bike update of 2019 so far. Unfortunately not an official one - even better ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles