• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Due "Shimano Inc" demand the App was renamed to "ST Unlocker"

Features:
- Bike Info
- Battery info (recharge cycles and health %)
- Change Assistant Level, including maximum power
- Latest Shimano FWs are supported in Android/IOS version: 4.7.1 for E8000, 4.4.0 for E7000/E6100

Speed limiter change via:
- Destination market
- Circumference
- Max Speed for each mode (works only with FW <= 4.3.2)

my3-png.13183

Shimano SM-PCE02, SM-PCE1&SM-BR2 interfaces are supported.

Software was successfully tested on my fresh new bike with Steps 8000 motor, as well as on E7000, E6100 motors with any display controllers (SCE7000, SCE8000)

For FW > 4.3.2 the best way to rise a Speed Limit is to change the destination market to US (32km/h). This method will maintain the correct odometer and speedometer readings.

Special offer: software is 100% free for all EMTB members. You can unlock speed limiter of your bike for free. This offer expires on 06/01/2019.

Latest updates at stunlocker.com

Google Play

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I downgraded FW to 4.3.2 and tested a Speed Limit. It's possible to set it up to 60km/h! Unfortunately, my 7000 display doesn't work with 4.3.2 FW

my4.png

Also, it's possible to rise the Power Limit up to 600W, but I didn't test the bike yet, and don't know how it will affect on motor assistant.

DjMcMac

Apr 25, 2019
Salzburg
This guy is just trying to copy the Eplus and Emax software - but his software is not working at all...
Got his test - software and even after some updates the soft was not even able to read the bike information of my bike... Makes not any good impression on me and I definitely will not support him...

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Program works fine with my bike and and works fine for those who participate in beta testing, except you, of course. This is enough at this stage. What about you: try learn to communicate with people and don't be rude them. You are out of beta testing, congratulation!

This guy is just trying to copy the Eplus and Emax software - but his software is not working at all...
Got his test - software and even after some updates the soft was not even able to read the bike information of my bike... Makes not any good impression on me and I definitely will not support him...

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Special offer: software is 100% free for all EMTB members. You can unlock speed limiter of your bike for free. This offer expires on 06/01/2019.

Jan 19, 2019
UK
Hi Vadll,

I have been looking for a way to change to the USA speed limit of 32kph. Can you send me a PM with the licence. I will download the software and give it a try when i get back home.

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
Hi everyone, has anyone managed to run the software with SM-PCE1 interface? I have that but I can't get into communication while with other software I do it on the fly.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I didn't tested it with the PCE1 yet. I made a special version for testing and send it to few members, but they are didn't test it yet. PM to me if you are ready to do it

Hi everyone, has anyone managed to run the software with SM-PCE1 interface? I have that but I can't get into communication while with other software I do it on the fly.

eeson

May 1, 2019
Iceland
Hi Vadll,

This looks to be very cool and thank you for your efforts!

Would love to try this out on my new Focus Sam2 as the 25km limiter is super annoying.

How do I go about taking advantage of the special offer and receiving a copy of the software?

Also, do you have any documentation or can you point to instructions on the best way to downgrade the firmware?

Thanks!

paoloc971

May 2, 2019
torino
Features:
- Bike Info
- Battery info (recharge cycles and health %)
- Change Assistant Level, including maximum power

Speed limiter change via:
- Destination market
- Circumference
- Max Speed for each mode (works only with FW
my3-png.13183

Shimano SM-PCE02, SM-PCE1&SM-BR2 (testing) interfaces are supported.

Software was successfully tested on my fresh new bike with Steps 8000 motor.

For FW > 4.3.2 the best way to rise a Speed Limit is to change the destination market to US (32km/h). This method will maintain the correct odometer and speedometer readings.

Latest updates at stepsunlocker.com

Hi vadl I would like to test the software too. Please let me know how to do. Thanks in advance

May 2, 2019
Hamburg
So, I have tested the STEPSUnlocker - thanks a lot to Vadll for the great program and sending a free valid licence key!
I had 4.6.1 firmware and modified to US version (32km/h) and increased power in Boost mode to 600W yesterday which worked perfectly on the first run.
This morning I had a long test ride with the bike and after approx. 30 minutes in hard terrain, my motor stopped working and the display switched off in middle of riding the bike.
The motor was quite hot at this time, so I waited some minutes.
I tried to restart and the display then only showed the initial "Shimano steps".
Also additional attempts failed...
After walking quite a long way home with the bike, I then tried to access with STEPSunlocker which failed.
Then I tried to connect with eTube from Shimano and this program detected a broken drive unit (DU) and also could not connect to the motor - all other components were shown (derailleur, display, switches)
So I went to my dealer and he asked me quite suddenly if I had made "any modification" on my bike. Because I know my dealer quite well I told him that I used the tuningtool and he told me that the motor maybe could get broken due to the higher power limit.
Unfortunately we could not reset the power limit back to the old, original value, because we could not connect any more to the system.
So my dealer tries to get a new motor from Shimano and the motor is aready dismounted from the bike and on the way to Shimano, but for sure this is not the thing we expected.
So I hope that I will get a repaiered or new motor (on warranty?) and hopefully not have to wait that long...
Hope this does not happen to somebody else...

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Sad story. I thought that Shimano motor should have a temperature sensor to prevent overheating. It is very strange that they did not use it (as I know, Brose motors have a temp sensor). Anyway, hope that you'll get a new motor under warranty ASAP

May 2, 2019
Hamburg
My dealer told me that there indeed is a temperature sensor in the Shimano system and it normally is working fine, but due to increasing the power level, he thinks maybe it is working too late...
Hope to get a repaired or new motor soon and Shimano will not detect that the old motor was manipulated...
And hopefully this does not happen on other motors and unlocking users too.
Maybe the Shimano motor is not that robust for getting unlocked?
I have heard from other guys who have redestriced their (non - Shimano) bikes and some of them told me that this was decreasing the motors lifetime too, but who knows, it´s hard to get details and facts....
I will give reply as soon as I have news.
Is there any chance that the defective motor could be done by wrong programming the software of the motor with your unlocker tool?
Could I have made any mistake in using your software or could there be any error in your program which could cause such a situation?
Unfortunately the weather is great today and now I cannot ride, what a shame...:(

Last edited:

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
The only thing I changed on my motor was from UK to USA setting. I think that is all it needs. I have found Boost has more than enough power to the point where if I try and climb a super steep climb I actually flip the bike over or loose traction before it runs out of power. Best to leave power settings at default, in my opinion.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles