Shimano W013 problem

tonyker

Jan 28, 2019
Surrey
My Vitus E-Summet VR 19' cut out whist climbing with the W010 code, I turned off and on again then came with the W013. after turning off and leaving for 20 mins with out battery still w013 showing. another 10mins later, turned back on and was fine. W010 code has shown before but a reboot sorted it, this time lasted for much longer. after getting home cleaned all connections with connector cleaner and put everything back together W013 still showing. I have just started off warranty with chain reactions but just wondering if anybody else has had this problem.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When you power up, don't have anything at all touching the cranks or pedals. In the garage, my security cable was resting on the pedal when I turned on, it seemed that the weight of the cable and lock generated sufficient torque for the sensor to register.

NB: I once turned up at the trail centre car park and my power on button gave me nothing! The mechanic at the bike shop pressed down for 10-12 seconds and the light came on! He called it a "hard reset". No further problems. I have no idea what caused the requirement for a hard reset, not happened since.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Steve is right when you power the bike up don't touch anything then when the display is on put it in eco and ride off as if you do touch the cranks etc the W013 comes up it seems to be the way the Shimano is

tonyker

Jan 28, 2019
Surrey
The code was showing with out touching the cranks at all, and with the W010 code to. Its a bit weird, and the fact that its not a problem thats happing all of the time.

Just tried the hard reset and does not seem to have changed anything though good to know that for future though.

When hand turning the cranks it does sound very grumbly. and does not change when turned on. Think the motor might be shot.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Got this and wouldn't go away. Took it in and the motor got sent in to Shimano for evaluation. Hope it qualifies for warranty replacement or service. It had 2772 miles on it.
58381197_2668302136517681_250585232615407616_n.jpg

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Recently my sommet vr threw up W013 while pedalling on a ride. Almost immediately it turned to full screen E010 as above. No amount of clearing or on/off switching would remove the E010. The bike is in process of going back to CRC for investigation. I talked to some Focus reps at a recent demo and they think it may be torque sensor failure. :(

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Bit of an update on this. CRC replaced my motor for this however they did not comment on the reason for the failure.
Two more of my riding buddies on E8000 motors have had the same W013/E010 problem with their bikes which are now on their way back to Wiggle and CRC. One failed at 500 miles the other at 1000 miles.
So that's 3 out of 6 Shimano motors (5 E8000 + 1 E7000) in the group with this failure mode. If this is in any way representative then Tufnells are going to be busy :)

Jonnymac

Feb 21, 2019
Inverclyde
Also had the same issue with Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 and 8.0.
Shimano replaced motor on 8.0 last month and currently awaiting info from them on 7.0. Planning to sell both bikes prior to 2 year shimano warranty running out. Lost a bit of confidence in Shimano motors as a result of having same issue on two bikes. Both bikes had done approx 1500miles when problems occurred. I suspect many others will be having this same issue with Shimano motors as owners rack miles/kms up.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Bit of an update on this. CRC replaced my motor for this however they did not comment on the reason for the failure.
Two more of my riding buddies on E8000 motors have had the same W013/E010 problem with their bikes which are now on their way back to Wiggle and CRC. One failed at 500 miles the other at 1000 miles.
So that's 3 out of 6 Shimano motors (5 E8000 + 1 E7000) in the group with this failure mode. If this is in any way representative then Tufnells are going to be busy :)
I was online looking for info on my fault and found your post . . . . then I noticed the location. Then the penny dropped . . . I'm one of the 3! :) I was about to ask your advice!

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Mine is undergoing warranty at the moment for the same issue
I have just started this process just now . . . but still waiting to hear from them. Emailed them on Sunday and still nothing. Did you buy yours from CRC or Wiggle?

Be keen to hear how it goes. I have heard it will be about 2 months before it gets back to you?!

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Shimano replaced motor on 8.0 last month and currently awaiting info from them on 7.0. Planning to sell both bikes prior to 2 year shimano warranty running out. Lost a bit of confidence in Shimano motors as a result of having same issue on two bikes. Both bikes had done approx 1500miles when problems occurred. I suspect many others will be having this same issue with Shimano motors as owners rack miles/kms up.

Jonny, I know how you feel. As you will see by other messages from some of the other boys in our club we have had a few with the same issues. I am just at the start of my warranty claim, but already with the recurring errors and 50% of the Shimano motors in our club failing then I am regretting the purchase. I have requested that Shimano can guarantee they have fixed the issues and not just replaced the motor as I don't want to be going through this again in a few months . . . or I'll be looking for a refund. Not to mention the hassle of online purchase . . .

Shaunovan

Mar 2, 2019
Paisley
Jonny, I know how you feel. As you will see by other messages from some of the other boys in our club we have had a few with the same issues. I am just at the start of my warranty claim, but already with the recurring errors and 50% of the Shimano motors in our club failing then I am regretting the purchase. I have requested that Shimano can guarantee they have fixed the issues and not just replaced the motor as I don't want to be going through this again in a few months . . . or I'll be looking for a refund. Not to mention the hassle of online purchase . . .
I`m the other guy ...i said farewell to my Vitus today as it started its journey back to Wiggle...time will tell but i`m not expecting my bike back for at least 6 weeks (anything sooner is a bonus)

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I've just gone thru this.
Talked to wiggle and they thought battery connection issues but lbs sent it back to maddison and theysent out a new motor.
Was charged £60 labour and £25 post which wiggle refunded

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Does anyone knows the meaning of each code?
Is your display removable?
Mine is not Shimano but will not work if i remove the display.

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
Mines failed. Just starting warranty claim with wiggle now. Not very impressed tbh.

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
Those of you who have sent back bikes to Wiggle due to this failure, what is the rough time it takes to get it repaired and back? Already getting pissed off at Wiggles slow response, waiting for their workshop to respond apparently. If this is going to take more than a month then I'll be using the consumer rights act and pushing for a refund. There is a clause about repairs must be carried out in a reasonable period.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Those of you who have sent back bikes to Wiggle due to this failure, what is the rough time it takes to get it repaired and back? Already getting pissed off at Wiggles slow response, waiting for their workshop to respond apparently. If this is going to take more than a month then I'll be using the consumer rights act and pushing for a refund. There is a clause about repairs must be carried out in a reasonable period.
Have you not got a good lbs that'll do it?
Wiggle are ok with that.

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
They'll reimburse the lbs? I didn't know that. I'll quiz them on that if I can ever get a response.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
They'll reimburse the lbs? I didn't know that. I'll quiz them on that if I can ever get a response.
Yeah,
I commented on another post, the shop I trust is about 35mls away and cost 60labour 25 post which wiggle refunded without a problem

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have just started this process just now . . . but still waiting to hear from them. Emailed them on Sunday and still nothing. Did you buy yours from CRC or Wiggle?

Be keen to hear how it goes. I have heard it will be about 2 months before it gets back to you?!
It took CRC 5 weeks to get back to me after I emailed the warranty form - they want me to send the bike back to them, but my LBS is sending motor to madison. TBH I just want to throw the whole bike in a skip right now

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
Update in my E7000 failure on my Vitus E-Sommet.

So the bike broke about two weeks ago (won't turn on bascially), emailed Wiggle, got a case number and we'll get back to you. After 10 days no response to my chasing I got the right hump, threatened to escalate unless I got some rapid responses. A great guy took over the case, told me to take it to my LBS to get diagnostics done (Wiggle reimbursed), gave the results to Wiggle on Friday, today given the go-ahead to take it back to my LBS for repair (who are happy to do that) with costs reimbursed by Wiggle.

Total win for me, no having to send the bike back. Just wish Wiggle had said this 10 days ago, lol.

On plus side, was chatting to the LBS owner last week and he said Shimano / Madison prioritise e-bike failures due to the new tech, cost of the bikes, and us early-ish pioneers essentially being ambassadors. Which to be fair I am, I rave about mine. Well, I did. Let's see if they live up to their promise!

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
Hi my canyon 7.0 is playing up with e013 and w010 code’s, did you have to send the bike to canyon uk service centre

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
My Merida kept throwing up WO13- I couldnt clear it..Or more accurately, I reset it, and it went bad afetr less then a half/quarter crank turn ( I know about the pedal pressure/power on thing)
What gets me is it that it was the speed sensor knocked askew nearly 90 degrees...!
Is that possible ? Can a speed sensor issue ( WO11?) show up as a torque sensor error...Confused the hell out of me...!

Cvitanic

Mar 1, 2020
Punta Arenas
Hi all ! Did anyone get a definitive fix to this issue?
Just came back from the trails after having this issue happen for the second time in two days. I'm getting error E010 together with W013. I rode yesterday and had the issue for the first time as I was at the top of the trail while waiting for some buddies (if I recall correctly, the bike auto turned off). Turned the system off and on a few times, also removed the battery and after a few tries it started normally (about 20 minutes went by on this process).

Today after riding a few runs, had this issue again while riding uphill in boost mode. Same thing. Restarted, battery off and on until the error went away. Later, did another run and at the bottom got the error again and couldn't get it to work, no matter how many times I restarted and removed the battery.

Hope this is a simple issue since there's no Shimano service where I live, and I'd eventually have to ship the bike 2000 miles to the closest dealer ?.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles