Shimano vs SRAM drivetrain components for direct consumer bikes

srileo

Apr 11, 2019
San Francisco, CA, USA
If i get a direct consumer bike model with mostly Shimano parts for the drivetrain and brakes, is that an advantage compared to getting a bike with SRAM drivetrain and brakes? Coz it looks like every LBS is a shimano dealer, but most *might* not be SRAM dealer?

What do you do if your SRAM components need inspection or warranty on a direct consumer bike?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No advantage really.
I'd be very surprised if any decent LBS these days do not stock/deal with sram at all.
But even if you did find one your warranty is with whoever you bought the bike from and in the case of a warranty claim this is who you need to contact first.
Some direct sales brands "may" advise you to have the part inspected/repaired (at their cost) at your LBS but this isn't always the norm.
If you have a good relationship with your LBS they "may" be willing help you out with warranty/replacement A random LBS should charge you same as any other random customer with a random bike looking for repair/inspection work though.

Learn how to inspect/maintain your bike and its components yourself.
it might seem a daunting prospect at first but gradually learning how your bike works and the skills to service/maintain it is invaluable and rewarding

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
It's fairly unlikely for drivetrain components to need warranty work. Occasionally shifters fail, but everything else that stops a drivetrain working is due to wear and tear, lack of maintainance or impact damage.

A drivetrain is pretty simple, typically there are four adjusters, so even if a lbs has never worked on a given brand, I would expect them to be able to adjust it.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Gary and Dax are right. Any work required on the drivetrain will most likely result from wear or impact damage, neither of which is covered by any warranty, so you will have to pay your LBS or do it yourself. The latter is obviously cheaper and you may even enjoy doing it, I do. You certainly need to know how to adjust indexing but I guess there will be beginners videos on You Tube on the basics.

I do get the impression though that Shimano components are a little bit cheaper, especially if you use Shimano XT as opposed to Sram Eagle. Although this is not something I have researched in detail and my current bike, a Focus Jam2, is the first Sram equipped one I have owned.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Shimano
Pros :
Cheaper to buy components
Less geo blocking from online stores
Adjustable clutch on rear mech
No special jockey wheels
Mineral oil in brakes, no paint eating dot fluid
Cons:
Shimano not nearly as refined less range on cassettes.

SRAM: completely opposite and the cable pully jams easy on rear mechs. After market fix available from Bike Yoke.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

srileo

Apr 11, 2019
San Francisco, CA, USA
Shimano
Pros :
Cheaper to buy components
Less geo blocking from online stores
Adjustable clutch on rear mech
No special jockey wheels
Mineral oil in brakes, no paint eating dot fluid
Cons:
Shimano not nearly as refined less range on cassettes.

SRAM: completely opposite and the cable pully jams easy on rear mechs. After market fix available from Bike Yoke.

What do you mean by geo-blocking ? Can't i order parts from where i please? Or does it have to only from my LBS if under warranty?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
What do you mean by geo-blocking ?

Some manufacturers like to control distribution of products by geography, so wont let certain resellers ship their products to certain geography’s, forcing you to buy from resellers local to that geography.

e.g. sram may not let a US bike shop ship to the UK, so a customer in the UK would have to buy from a UK bike shop instead.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles