Shimano Steps E8000 W011 error

str1

May 5, 2022
Finland
Any experience with W011 error? This occurred once few weeks ago and today it turned on permanently. Went through the cables but no problems found. I was thinking that can I somehow test if sensor SM-DUE11 is faulty, fe. should the resistance change when the magnet is close or something?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
this is what Shimano say:

W011 – Cannot detect travel speed
Restrictions:

Max power assist speed may be lower than usual.

Remedy:
Check that speed sensor is properly installed. If no improvement, contact place of purchase.

str1

May 5, 2022
Finland
Thanks, I'm suspecting the sensor also but would not want to purchase new one without knowing if that is really the problem.

Does anyone know if the functionality can be tested somehow? I noticed that there is 7 (?) volts running to the sensor but did not see any change in voltage or resistance when magnet is near the sensor.

str1

May 5, 2022
Finland
Sensor was indeed the problem, distance was ok but magnet position too low, somehow the sensor stopped working at the bottom end but was still working in the middle. I lowered the sensor now.

I also asked about testing of the sensor, it should work like a switch so current should flow through when magnet is in position.

piko4566

Oct 31, 2018
UK
I have a similar problem. My system works fine in the cold months but as soon as it warms up I keep getting the W011 error. It only happens when the the temp gets over 20C. It has to be a heat related problem and it's been happening for 3 years now. I've tried cleaning all contacts, moving the magnet/sensor around and tightening the battery but nothing helps. Any ideas?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles