Shimano steps E8000 vs Bosch Performance CX range

RRebikes

Jan 4, 2019
Norway
2 bikes with similar weight, tires, cassette and rider weight, both ride in same cadence and speed on the same trail. 500wh battery

would there be any big difference in the range??

My friend that has the Lapirre overvolt AM727i also have a Lapierre Overvolt AM500i and the range on the 500 seems to be twice the range of the 727 with snake battery Both bikes are 2019 mod.

The Overvolt AM727i is the same bike that I posted a thread about the rattle sound from the battery, we now think that there might be an issue with the battery! Since the snake battery is a non-Shimano part we are not able to read out any info on battery condition on the e-tube app or software, I also believe that even if something is wrong with the battery, no fault codes would show up on the E-tube.

At the moment Battery drops 1 bar from fully charged, after a 1km and 80m elevation in trail mode set to high. it seems like the range issue has increased over the 2-3 last weeks.

My friend is considering buying the 927, but is at the moment having big concerns with range on Shimano vs Bosch

LBS is no contacted, regarding the issue and hopefully, they will provide a new battery that we could test out, as there is no error codes or abnormal behaviour/sound from the motor. But at the moment there are no other bikes in stock with the same battery in Norway, so it has to be shipped from France

I also wonder if there is any way to test/diagnose the snake battery?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Assuming exactly the same tyres on both bikes and similar assistance output modes.
No. I would not expect all that much difference at all, nevermind a big difference.

At the moment Battery drops 1 bar from fully charged, after a 1km and 80m elevation in trail mode set to high. it seems like the range issue has increased over the 2-3 last weeks.
That's incredibly poor performance. If just climbing, my Shimano battery drops one bar from fully charged after abround 900-1300ft (over 2-4miles)of climbing dependent on the gradient/terrain

Sounds like the rest of your questions can only really be answered by someone who can physically test your Lapierre battery's health. A Lapierre dealer perhaps?

100 Cols

Mar 9, 2018
Côte d'Azur, France
My wife has a Moustache Saturday with Bosch Performance and I have a 827i Lapierre. When we ride together she is consuming her battery faster than me, but she's also typically riding with higher assistance levels, yet more than 10 kg lighter than me.

But anyway, twice the range can't be right. The operating efficiency of both these modern electrical motors is certainly at the same level. Something is not right.

You are saying "twice the range", but what exactly is the range you two get out of your bikes? Distance and climbing meters? Have you tried to swap the bikes and see if things change, if it is a rider issue?

RRebikes

Jan 4, 2019
Norway
It's not a ride issue, my friend also has 2019 Overvolt AM500i (bought the 500 while waiting for delivery of the 727) and I have a 2018Overvolt AM900i.

We have a mountain nearby, with a gravel road up, it's a pretty steep climb up, and I and my friend use approx 17min up the climb in Turbo on the Bosch bikes, there is also approx 2 miles of riding from my house and back to this starting point most on tarmac (emtb mode) with not too many climbs. after this trip we normally have 2 out of 5 bars left on the Bosch battery.

My friend road the same route today, and we're riding in eco where it was possible, and in trail set to high on the Climb up the mountain, with half a mile left too home, the battery was empty and no power left on the Shimano Overvolt 727.
Capture.JPG

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
It does sound like your friend's battery is draining too fast to me ...

There is a road hill near me that I have ridden up in turbo and it is approximately half the hill you are going up - it is 2.5km (1.5 miles) long and 300m (984 ft) ascent. Going up that hill in turbo I use about 25% battery (as measured via Di2), so it would equate to roughly 50% battery for your hill. I know there are a lot of variables which are different, but at least it seems a fairly similar situation if it is useful :) I weigh 75kg + rucksack.

Hope you get a new battery to test soon!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Maybe its a connection on the snake battery, I presume the way it is built is a series of smaller batteries linked together, perhaps a couple of them are not connected up any more

RRebikes

Jan 4, 2019
Norway
Did a little test today on the range
5km range left in Eco, 3 in trail (set to high) and 1 in boost (set to high) when I parked the bike after this ride below. 95% in Trail (set to high) and 5% in boost (set to high) during the ride

We will do a similar side by side test with Bosch Lapierre and the Shimano Lapierre, and we will ride until the batteries are dead
Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
On my Merida e160 900, I chew through the battery quickly when both Trail and Boost are set to high. About the same as you if I use trail except when climbing fireroads in boost. Last week I did 27km with the light flashing red (less than 5km to go) in a very similar ride profile to yours (both on high as a test). That ride was 90 minutes and about 400m in climbing.

So it looks pretty normal to me. If I turn trail to mid on the same ride I use 2.5 bars. Currently I have trail and boost set to mid and I'm happy with that performance power wise and I get about 3 hours of mixed riding from a full charge.

Gordon

Ren

Oct 30, 2018
Christchurch - New Zealand
I usually ride in the same park so I have a good reference to compare how fast I’m draining my battery.
My bike is a Merida e160 800, trail set to median and boot set to median. Riding on Christchurch Adventure Park it drops one bar on every 4.5km and 300 to 350 m elevation.
Ps. I rarely get the battery under 20% but the two times it happened I noticed it draining much quicker than the first 3 bars.

My last ride left te battery with 32% (24km - 994m elevation).

7D985C6E-70F5-44D6-B6BE-ADE5847E4A41.jpeg 8B55C7AD-D9F5-450B-8CFB-98B68CA8848B.png E7D4DC19-E6E7-43FD-BBB1-C19C205B30BF.png

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
2 bikes with similar weight, tires, cassette and rider weight, both ride in same cadence and speed on the same trail. 500wh battery

My friend that has the Lapirre overvolt AM727i also have a Lapierre Overvolt AM500i and the range on the 500 seems to be twice the range of the 727 with snake battery Both bikes are 2019 mod.

The Overvolt AM727i is the same bike that I posted a thread about the rattle sound from the battery, we now think that there might be an issue with the battery! Since the snake battery is a non-Shimano part we are not able to read out any info on battery condition on the e-tube app or software, I also believe that even if something is wrong with the battery, no fault codes would show up on the E-tube.

My friend is considering buying the 927, but is at the moment having big concerns with range on Shimano vs Bosch

LBS is no contacted, regarding the issue and hopefully, they will provide a new battery that we could test out, as there is no error codes or abnormal behaviour/sound from the motor. But at the moment there are no other bikes in stock with the same battery in Norway, so it has to be shipped from France

I also wonder if there is any way to test/diagnose the snake battery?

Hi Budd...
Have a little look at my post in (other manufacturers - lapierre overvolt ami627 charging problems)
Sounds like u are having the same problem 85-89% battery ....
Mines gone back to manufacturer ATM..
But will still not be as good as the boshe motor for distance as I ride with a big group of ebikers with a range of different bikes and all the shimanos are berry similar in range but the bosh seems to still have more battery when we run out... (I have a lone mondraker with bosh motor ATM and it lasts much longer but really don't like the motor compared to the Shimano)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles