• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Shimano Steps E8000 software tuning

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
I have been struggling to change the derailleur type of my bike as when you add a Di2 rear mech you just get a W032 error and the solution in the Shimano issued error codes is “replace the original derailleur” yeah thanks.

I stumbled onto the Emax software that allows you to alter many things on the E8000 without chopping wires and sensors around.

eMax - english

I hvent done any tuning on my bike as it is not something I want to do, but it has enabled me to change the derailleur type to electronic. If however you want to increase the motor cutoff and do many many other things, I would seriously look at this. The level of support I have had from the people at Emax is truly outstanding given that I am using the free version of the software and it was my computer causing the issues I had.

You will also see that there is a version call Freemax that allows you to correct the circumference of the wheels and that could increase the motor cutoff but the speed indicated on the display would be wrong. The Emax software would allow you to increase the motor cutoff but with the speed indicated correctly on the display, but this requires a license key that you need to purchase. You will also need the Shimano PCE1 to link the computer to the bike, but if you want a solution without having a dongle plugged in, this could be the answer.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
My partner just purchased a PCE-1 interface with Emax software to de-restrict her Merida E160. She had to downgrade to an earlier version of firmware to remove the speed restriction. We have both just been out for a ride on her bike and it's amazing, pedal power up to 50kmph sustained on flat terrain. Limited by the gearing I think - the limit of support cuts out at 60kmph.

The hardware and software cost to do this was $400 AUD.

She won't be running it at full de-restriction all the time, as she realises it defeats the purpose of the bike for her and that it will chew battery too quickly, but she wants to run it at a slightly higher motor cut out of 30kmph (here in Aus we are limited to 25kmph).

rm00214

Nov 5, 2018
Australia
Hi Tori .. I own the same bike too and looking to do the software de-restriction. But how did you manage to get it done for $400
Could you please suggest me any websites where did you get them from.? I am from Australia too

tebapk2

Apr 20, 2019
ES
Hi Tori .. I own the same bike too and looking to do the software de-restriction. But how did you manage to get it done for $400
Could you please suggest me any websites where did you get them from.? I am from Australia too

Any news about limit shimano steps?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles