• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Shimano STePS DU-E8000 firmware version history

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Does anyone have a link to a version history for the firmware for the STePS 8000 motor? Or any off hand thoughts on what you lose if you're on firmware 4.3.2 vs. people who're on the current firmware?

nosenada

Nov 26, 2019
California
Here is the link to the version history:

ファームウェア更新情報 詳細|E-TUBE PROJECT|シマノ

As far as what you will lose on firmware 4.3.2 vs 4.7.1, I believe you may lose compatibility with newer STEPS components that were released after 4.3.2 was released (Dec 21, 2017). In addition, you will lose any bug fixes and updates made which you will find briefly described in the version history.

I found that when I tried downgrading to 4.3.2 on a bike with a e8035 battery and EW-SW100 external power button that I could not turn the bike on with the external power button. I assumed this was because the e8035 battery and EW-SW100 external power button were released after 4.3.2 and thus were not supported by that version of the firmware, but I do not know that for sure to be true.

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Here is the link to the version history:

ファームウェア更新情報 詳細|E-TUBE PROJECT|シマノ

As far as what you will lose on firmware 4.3.2 vs 4.7.1, I believe you may lose compatibility with newer STEPS components that were released after 4.3.2 was released (Dec 21, 2017). In addition, you will lose any bug fixes and updates made which you will find briefly described in the version history.

I found that when I tried downgrading to 4.3.2 on a bike with a e8035 battery and EW-SW100 external power button that I could not turn the bike on with the external power button. I assumed this was because the e8035 battery and EW-SW100 external power button were released after 4.3.2 and thus were not supported by that version of the firmware, but I do not know that for sure to be true.

That makes perfect sense, and the screens/controllers for E6100/E7000 are specifically highlighted as not working with 4.3.2 which speaks to your eperience. The bike I've been looking at has an older battery and screen. Any bug fixes or feature additions of note that anyone can name between those revisions?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles