• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Shimano Steps - Battery Indicator mismatch between screen and battery unit ??

frazerrobbo

Mar 7, 2019
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hey folks,

Last night I was out on a large ride with my Vitus E Sommet with 500wh battery (Shimano E7000 system). About 17km into the ride after 800m ascent my steps screen changed down to very quickly from 3 bars to 2 and then within a futher 1km, it dropped down to 1 bar. I decided to cut short my ride and head back for fear of losing the system (all up hill back to car) but when I got back I saw that the actual battery pack was showing 2 green bar lights not the 1 bar light on the screen. So i then checked the range on the screen and it was telling me another 15km or so in trail mode and 25 in Eco.

Anyone else had this issue where the screen readout does not show the same as the battery readout ? I'm assuming the battery lights are more likely to be correct and will probably default to using that if this ever happens again. Bit annoyed I cut short my ride if I still technically had voer 10-15km left in the tank.

Keen to hear others experiences.

Cheers,
Fraz

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes they dont always correlate, its been covered on here before, but the simplest way to think of it is that the head unit display is taking into account the current ride you are on, and predicting battery life/range based on that data, which is why the display will sometimes show a lesser range/battery life than the battery.

If you turn the system off, then back on, it resets the data to a new ride, and you will usually see that the two displays show the same.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I guess it's similar to the remaining fuel range in a car, if you're a bit heavy footed for a few miles the range drops quite a bit but when you slow down again it will go back up... Or something like that ;)

Cooldaddygroove

Jul 11, 2018
Vancouver, BC
On my e8000 I had an issue where the display would drop to red (no bars) and go in to limp mode, yet the battery display still showed 2 bars. My LBS tried a number of things to resolve it, but in the end the Shimano rep had to come in to look at my bike, attach his diagnostic equipment, and deemed the battery defective, so they gave me a new one

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles