Shimano/SRAM 12 speed compatibility [now a 10 speed thread]

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Keep in mind, my rig is still a 10 speed, and it may remain forever ... as I can't seem to find a good reason to mess with it for the time being.

Yesterday while trying to connect some more trails out back, I managed to fall over the bars 3 or 4 times! Lol. All very slow speed, but some rather hard on the bike and me.

Anyway, I bent the rd-m8000-SG pretty good. so good in fact, that while trying to achieve high gear, the mech cable attachment arm was grinding itself into the large cog. The great part about this, is that the derailleur was otherwise operating normally. I didn't even know that the thing was bent while on the trail, and didn't notice until I hit the road, heading down to the Creek, and tried to achieve high gear.

When I couldn't get high gear, I looked down and could see the derailleur rubbing against the largest cog. I grabbed it and bent it away from the cassette, and now it's working like new again.

I am really becoming a 10 speed fanboy. So many good options, at reasonable prices, and everything is easy to find.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Hi. I'm using a Shimano XT12 speed chain on a Raceface narrow-wide 104 front ring. The slightly narrower 12sp chain quick-link initially caught-up on the wide tooth each time it released; just a click noise as it pinged off. After a couple of hundred k's it's quiet now. That chain has lasted nearly 800km on my Altitude Powerplay so far and not at the 0.5 wear marker yet.
Thanks Yes that is what I also thought, measuring it. Also side plates are tooler, so normal chain Tool from Park Tool doesn't fit. Chain Link is biggest problem as you confirmed and it is really tight fit on this chainring, that is why Race Face release new Shimano 12 speed specific chainring, but only in 34T.
Also discuss this with one youtuber, who test all sorts of things, mixing Sram and Shimano, etc. The simplest solution will be just to use 12 speed KMC or Sram Eagle Chain, only won't be able to take advantage of Hyperglide+
AllMtn Haibike uses XX1 Eagle and GX Eagle chains. I guess 12 speed Eagle Chains are also E-bike "compatible" like al Shimano.
Decided to go with Renthal Chainring, which from the spec looks to have 0.1mm thinner teeth, than Race Face, so it won't do any harm, to have little more narrow tooth profile.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yesterday while trying to connect some more trails out back, I managed to fall over the bars 3 or 4 times! Lol. All very slow speed, but some rather hard on the bike and me.

So glad to not be alone in the world of multiple OTB's on a single ride ... :) Hope you're ok, I know I managed to bruise myself up pretty well on my last triple set.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
So glad to not be alone in the world of multiple OTB's on a single ride ... :) Hope you're ok, I know I managed to bruise myself up pretty well on my last triple set.
I do doubles all the time, this was my first triple attempt... and I aced it! It turns out I'm quite good at getting over the first obstacle, it's the one right behind it that gets me over the bars. Here is where moto, and emtb is profoundly different in my experience. Obstacles that my moto oriented brain, is trained to categorize as "easy", can actually be hard without a twist throttle and 30 or more horsepower.

I'm fine, thanks for the concern, jammed my thumb and bruised a rib ever so slightly. I will be back at it today?

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
30HP and a 50lb push bike and you'd be looping out the other way all day long.

Stand up more... stay nice and loose look (well) ahead and pay attention to your fore/aft position. To get through multiple compressions/obsticles on a pushbike requires fine tuning of weight placement. Far more than a moto.
learning to manual is a very very helpful skill in this respect

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
30HP and a 50lb push bike and you'd be looping out the other way all day long.

Stand up more... stay nice and loose look (well) ahead and pay attention to your fore/aft position. To get through multiple compressions/obsticles on a pushbike requires fine tuning of weight placement. Far more than a moto.
learning to manual is a very very helpful skill in this respect
Copy. I must have stated it wrong and caused confusion. I wouldn't put 30HP on a emtb. Lol. I was implying that on my moto bikes which weigh around 220 lbs, the HP is handy.

I'm learning to place my weight a little further back, plan a little better route, and bring speed with me, as apposed to trying to generate it at the obstacle.

Staying loose is the hard part for me!

Today went better forsure.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles