Shimano release Steps E7000 groupset

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
That sounds a lot like the bike I rode in the video above, The Merida eOne-Sixty 500. Here's a few words about it
Can a proper full suspension emtb be had for much less $ in 2019? Does the new and a bit weaker Shimano Steps E7000 motor cut it for trail riding?

There's also a eOne-Sixty 600.
That 500 looks like a great value bike it can be the perfect choice for many. I would just upgrade the brakes - keeping the same lever and swap the calipers to the 4 piston Deore.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
That 500 looks like a great value bike it can be the perfect choice for many. I would just upgrade the brakes - keeping the same lever and swap the calipers to the 4 piston Deore.
I agree, the MT520 is a nice brake, it should be on more bikes.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I know, most people don't run Boost everywhere. Most motors are easy to control at the lowest power settings, it can be unrefined and simple and still okay to use.The differences become more obvious at the highest power levels. There really isn't too much to say about the E7000 vs E8000 in Trail mode, it's a dynamic mode on both motors and they feel/behave the same, but the E8000 will amplify your powerinput slightly more when you push hard.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I know, most people don't run Boost everywhere. Most motors are easy to control at the lowest power settings, it can be unrefined and simple and still okay to use.The differences become more obvious at the highest power levels. There really isn't too much to say about the E7000 vs E8000 in Trail mode, it's a dynamic mode on both motors and they feel/behave the same, but the E8000 will amplify your powerinput slightly more when you push hard.
Personally, I prefer the natural feel over riding on the motor's power and I found Trail/Mid is the best for that. Less power is smoother, easier to control. It was the same when I rode enduro and supermoto, my Suzuki DRZ 400 vs my KTM 660 SMC... :)

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Yeah, a natural feeling and control is important for trailriding with at least a few obstacles. Power is useless without control. Some people are happy with just some help, like Eco mode, wehere you are nowhere near the limit of control. I believe the E7000 offers a bit more power without sacrificing control than the E8000. At least in the terrain I did the testing. E8000 Boost/mid can be difficult to control. E8000 Boost/low isn't easier to control than the E7000 Boost/High, and the E7000 feels a tad stronger. It probably doesn't matter to all of us, but I couldn't just ride around in Eco and be claiming there is no difference :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles