Shimano release new 630Wh batteries

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
I guess we'll find out soon enough but we like a bit of idle speculation. Lets face it they could of made it a straight swap but they chose not to. They don't want us upgrading our old ebikes they want us buying brand new ones

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
Have you seen one? The problem with first Norco VLT released, was you couldn’t set no bottle no chain guide.
Currently they have solved the issue and you can.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Have you seen one? The problem with first Norco VLT released, was you couldn’t set no bottle no chain guide.
Currently they have solved the issue and you can.

Not that doesn't need a bottle cage mount to hold it, some Italian company whose name I cant remember makes one.

Ghost Rider

Jun 5, 2019
Norway
This is possibly a sidetrack (please excuse me), but with 1000 charges before capacity of my current 504 Wh battery is at 60% and since I am biking only in summertime but charging more like 2-3 times/week (typicaly) that would be approx. 15 years before I "need" a new battery. What life span can i expect from the rest of my bike and what was design criterias (5-10-15 years)? I have a feeling that I woukd like to have another new bike before I fades away, maybe with a Hydrogen fuel cell or some other magic power source.

When this is said, I salute Shimano for making larger batteries and I would love to have a 630 Wh (or more), if it fits in my bike, despite it prolongs time before next bike.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I guess we'll find out soon enough but we like a bit of idle speculation. Lets face it they could of made it a straight swap but they chose not to. They don't want us upgrading our old ebikes they want us buying brand new ones
Lucky we hav idle speculation, as otherwise 95% of the threads on the Forum wouldnt exist.

I have to say Shimano have always been good at making stuff upgradeable, and one of the reasons the steps system is my favourite is that you can interchange all the components within its ecosystem - for example I can run my bike with no display, and even no mode controller if I want, or I can use any one of 5 different mode switches, 4 displays, etc etc. You can get how you interact with the system exactly how you want.

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is even if the 3 new motors are retrofittable, will they sell them on the aftermarket? Surprised if they didn't as its a massive marketplace, but also wouldnt be surprised if you cant.

AusE

Dec 3, 2019
Australia
So was just browsing Shimano site about the BT-E8036 battery and it states that its the same mount as the BT-E8035 so I,m wondering if it is backwards compatible after all.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Same mount, but the battery seems longer. I guess Shimano went the easy way and added another 10 pcs of 18650 cells to the battery pack, increasing the capacity 504->630Wh.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Unlikely - Commencal have a totally revamped range out next year with redesigned frames form the ground up, and the new Shimano motors and batteries.

You never know until you try, and there may be a bodge you can do or that comes out, but they are physically bigger. Sure someone will try when they come out.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Steps (new)630wh Vs 504wh external battery wild speculation

Larger? Definitely
Longer? doubtful
wider? doubtful
taller? if pics are to be believed, almost certainly
Heavier? Absolutely. reportedly by a whopping 900g

How are shimano most likely to have likely gone about increasing capacity?
Here's the internals of a 504wh battery
5M4SO.jpg

in all likelyhood and as seen by promo pics Shimano would seem to have gone the route of adding more cells to their existing design. And from the taller looking new battery casing it would seem likely they have added a full row of cells below the bottom row of the previous design.
It stands to reason a taller heavier battery will need stronger more secure/stable mounting hardware and we know the new battery requires exactly this.

Most current E7000/8000 external battery Emtbs do actually have enough clearance above the battery to accomodate a slightly taller battery. Whether that new mount will be able to be swapped with the original 504wh mount is yet to be answered. But I can see why Shimano would not be keen disclose this information at the present time.
it is also yet to be answered whether the new mount can still accomodate the older batteries.

Shimano do seem to be doing a pretty decent job of retaining a level of backwards compatibility across their cycle range ATM, particularly the product releases just anounced and due for release towards the end of the year.

My advice: Be patient... But don't hang about waiting! Life's too short. ;)

Disclaimer: almost a kilo of extra weight for 126wh isn't even something I'm interested in, nevermind the gamechanger so many seem to see it as.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am only really interested if you can still put the 504 in the new mount to, as for most of my riding it'd fine, but would like to have the option of the bigger battery as and when

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
900g is a lot of these:

tunnocks-milk-chocolate-caramel-wafers-a-biscuit-produced-by-tunnocks-family-bakers-in-uddingston-scotland-PM5WEK.jpg

and TUNNOCK'S have never failed to get me out of a low fuel situation yet.

jabi

May 24, 2019
Finland
To be fair, I'm not very interested to swap my old 504Wh to a newer slightly bigger one. I get enough range from the current one. If I'd need to replace it then I could consider if it would be worth it or not.

Slingerwoods

Apr 19, 2020
England
I honk it gives each rider some flexibility on your options which I feel is good news and makes Shimano a bit ahead of the rest in this department. Compatibility and integration s the key.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I've been using this:
e*thirteen TRS 2-bolt Chain Guide
Works well. Easy to install and light.
I now have the Funn one installed, I had the E13 Steps specific one on before, and the Funn is night and day better bit of kit in terms of quality of materials and installation/adjustment. Its different to the e13 one you have which is more like the Funn and looks to be better quality.

Been vey impressed with the Funn EMTB stuff so far

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 08.53.18.png

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 08.53.32.png

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 08.53.47.png

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 08.54.05.png

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 08.54.37.png

Samwallace86

Jan 23, 2020
Scotland
Thanks for your enquiry - and yes the new BT8036 can be fitted, just as long as the mount is type: BM-E8030-A BM-E8030-B BM-E8031-A BM-E8031-B Hope that helps, James @ Shimano

Looking good for a straight swap (y)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks for your enquiry - and yes the new BT8036 can be fitted, just as long as the mount is type: BM-E8030-A BM-E8030-B BM-E8031-A BM-E8031-B Hope that helps, James @ Shimano

Looking good for a straight swap (y)
I presume that makes the assumption you can respace the mounts in the frame to accommodate it and physically get the battery into the frame? The new internal batteries are longer than the existing

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
I'll keep watching this thread and hope to read that the bigger external battery will be an option for my canyon spectral:ON

From Canyon:

Great to hear you're interested in the Spectral:ON CF. We would only recommend using the bike with the standard size battery as it has not been tested to use the new 630WH battery.

If you have any more questions regarding the Spectral:ON, please do feel free to pop on the Live Chat tool on our website if you wish. We have a slight lead time due to the amount of incoming queries at the moment and we can answer all questions you may have immediately over there.

Kind regards,

Service Centre

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles