Shimano motor noise - make it quieter?

Steven1980

Mar 13, 2019
trondheim
I have just got my Mondraker E-crusher and am finding the motor nosie on hills a bit annoying. Has anyone got any tips for making ti quieter?

Foam inside the motor house for example?

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
You can use dynamat on strategic locations to combat sound from the motor and sound transmitted through the frame. For the former, place suitably sized strips on the bottom of the motor. Mine are about 25mmx60mm along the centerline. For the latter, you have to drop the motor and place narrow strips longitudinally inside the frame tubes. See if 25mmx50mm strips will fit and not cause any binding for wires or restrict your dropper post height.

While you have the motor out, use that opportunity to place more narrow strips in suitable locations on the motor housing. Don't cover any labels or screws. Dynamat isn't permanent but it will ruin stickers and removal is not easy. Remember, dynamat does not require 100% coverage to dampen sound.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
thanks for the info - did it give a noticeable improvement?

It is noticeable but not miraculous... :cool: You can get small pieces/door kits from your local stereo installation shop and spend very little on the material. For the investment, I believe it is a worthwhile mod.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Is that going to have any effect on the heat management of the motor though?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes it should cut out if it overheats, though I have never heard of anyone managing to do this. It is surprising how hot EMTB motors can get though

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Dynamat is a thick and heavy film that adds weight to a
vibrating surface, and this extra weight reduces the vibration of the surface thus dampening the noise coming from it. Summarizing, you are adding weight to your bike, so be careful

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Is that going to have any effect on the heat management of the motor though?

You are not covering the motor with dynamat. Just a couple/few thin strips in strategic locations and on locations that do not interfere with the dust/dirt covers on the motor. IMHO, the frame amplifies a lot of the motor noise and careful application in strategic spots may reduce it.

Or...

You can get used to the whine and just ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles