Shimano motor new to old comparisons

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Hi all has anyone gone from the old e8000 shimano motor with 504 W battery to the new one with the 630 battery . iam intereseted mainly in battery life comparisons , but also if you think the new motor is better in any way. not bothered by the extra power as I spend most of my time in eco , but getting more miles , especially in winter would be a bonus . Also comparisons with the new bosch would be welcome
ive been watching a few of Robs great reviews but not found this comparison yet .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My impression is that there isn't as significant a gain in range as you might think since the extra power of the new motor mitigates the extra battery capacity to an extent. Singletrack have an observation on this in a yt decoy review they just did:

The feedback I have is purely anecdotal, but the guys at my LBS who have a few EP8 bikes in seem to think that the Bosch 630wh gives more range than the Shimano. Personally I am going to get the new 630wh external battery for my E8000 as I think you will see more benefit in terms of range than an EP8, plus I have no interest in a more powerful motor.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
My impression is that there isn't as significant a gain in range as you might think since the extra power of the new motor mitigates the extra battery capacity to an extent. Singletrack have an observation on this in a yt decoy review they just did:

The feedback I have is purely anecdotal, but the guys at my LBS who have a few EP8 bikes in seem to think that the Bosch 630wh gives more range than the Shimano. Personally I am going to get the new 630wh external battery for my E8000 as I think you will see more benefit in terms of range than an EP8, plus I have no interest in a more powerful motor.
Thanks for The reply . I was thinking the same . Larger battery to fit existing e8000 is one way but I understand it requires a new lower mount then I guess my two 504 batteries will be redundant . Did kind of fancy a new bike but Its got to be worth the layout in every way .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No the old batteries still work with the new external mount, not sure about the internal.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You can also modify the existing mount, lots of info here:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That’s a long thread , but doing a bit of maths the extra 126 wh is likely to give me another 4 miles tops on winter rides , so unless the newer motors are more efficient at low powers it’s all just tiny gains for big bucks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Skip straight to post #108 in that thread mate.
But yeah. The 630wh battery would only give me one more climb (top to bottom) at inners or the golfie. (or any tweed valley hill really)
I might actually buy one but my current 504wh is down to 82% health so a new battery is sorta needed soon. Plus I'd be paying less than trade. They're out of stock right now anyway so plenty time to think about it.
Happy Christmas

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
But yeah. The 630wh battery would only give me one more climb (top to bottom) at inners or the golfie. (or any tweed valley hill really)
I might actually buy one but my current 504wh is down to 82% health so a new battery is sorta needed soon. Plus I'd be paying less than trade. They're out of stock right now anyway so plenty time to think about it.
Happy Christmas
Are there any in the uk? I ordered one via LBS back when they where announced, having first checked with Madison on when they where likely to arrive, and being told late September, but no sign yet, and non of the European shops will ship over here right now - LBS telling me they haven't come into the UK yet hence the delay.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Were showing as in stock at Madison about a month back. I nearly bought a bunch to sell the day they arrived but luckily remembered the cluster fuck over sending Li Ion batteries. Looked again few days later thinking about one for myself and they were all gone.
I'd stick a pre-order in through your LBS if you want any of the next batch.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Happy Christmas
From memory that is quite a climb , so if it did do that it’s a good upgrade .
ive only recently started looking at new bikes etc , reading advertising it gives the impression that the new motor is more efficient . If that were true I would consider spending on a new bike rather than updating the old one , which I think could be more cost effective in the long run if used bikes are selling well

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've no idea if the new EP8 motor is any more efficient than the E8000. The only thing I've read from Shimano about it being any more efficient was a quoted 36% reduction in drag. Which is kinda a mute point as the E8000 isn't actually draggy in the first place. Barely more so Infact than a tight new DUB BB on a normal bike.
The best way to increase range on any motor is to ride climbs sedately and tone down the output torque and assist levels. But if you go too far with that you might as well not have an Eeb at all. Stun locker app can let you fully customise the levels on your E8000.
The app is compatible with the EP8 too but I think at the monent only has a fraction of the options available compared with the E8000

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I've no idea if the new EP8 motor is any more efficient than the E8000. The only thing I've read from Shimano about it being any more efficient was a quoted 36% reduction in drag. Which is kinda a mute point as the E8000 isn't actually draggy in the first place. Barely more so Infact than a tight new DUB BB on a normal bike.
The best way to increase range on any motor is to ride climbs sedately and tone down the output torque and assist levels. But if you go too far with that you might as well not have an Eeb at all. Stun locker app can let you fully customise the levels on your E8000.
The app is compatible with the EP8 too but I think at the monent only has a fraction of the options available compared with the E8000
Thought the same on drag , the description I read was that it was less noticeable when you hit the speed limiter , so pedaling beyond it is easier , maybe there is drag at that end that I thought was just the extra effort due to speed and any effort to keep pushing felt wasted .
It’s hard to compare battery life , but when riding with others Bosch motors seemed to get a bit more distance .

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Sprockets in Kilmarnock have(or had last week) the 630 external battery in stock.
No new mount yet though so you will have to modify existing one per the thread details...and be very careful that there will be clearance with the shock piggyback chamber..merida doesnt fit.

I'm buying a new vrx. Cheaper in the long run :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Checked for ya @R120 and 27th June is Madisons expected date to have these back in stock.

To put it into perspective some out if stock Shimano mechs aren't expected as soon as that.
It's been a nightmare finding compatible replacement parts for repairs to a lot of older bikes. And it's not getting better any time soon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles