Shimano launch new E-TUBE Ride App

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Shimano have just launched a new version of the e-tube app, called E-Tube Ride - looks to provide a lot more data.

Shimano E-TUBE RIDE introduced - new app to ditch your eMTB display | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

E-TUBE RIDE | Shimano

Looks like it is designed to work with the EN-100 dongle

Shimano-E-Tube-Ride-App-1.png

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
The E8000 display is pretty much the only thing it doesn't work with! Here's the compatibility chart which is slightly hidden on their site:

Untitled picture.png

It kind of makes me wonder if Shimano are planning to drop the 8000 range and go to a 8100 or 9000 version soon.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
What is it with Shimanos’s obsession with the term “E-TUBE”? It’s the same name they give to the software that allows you to configure electronic group sets such as Di2. I’m assuming it isn’t the same application?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Apparently it is a separate app from the standard e-tube app and has no benefit for e8000 users since all the info is on the display.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
What is it with Shimanos’s obsession with the term “E-TUBE”? It’s the same name they give to the software that allows you to configure electronic group sets such as Di2. I’m assuming it isn’t the same application?
The pc version is the same app.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
ahhh i thought it was the same. thanks for correcting me

It's certainly confusing naming :) I guess they are trying to create a brand name with "e-tube" and then make it "simple" so most people only need to use "Ride" when out riding. And then for complicated configuring, you can also use the "Project" one. But it's not so simple when everyone was just used to "e-tube" before!

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I've only used the PC version when were trouble shooting customers bikes. To be honest i never even noticed there was a different tag after the E-Tube part of the name.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
E-Tube Ride and E-Tube Project are different things.

E-Tube Ride is an app for iOS and Android - for visualizing ride data.
E-Tube Project is an app for iOS and Android and also for Windows PCs - this is for Di2 and firmware configuration (http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/).

Hi, just went to the iOS App Store to download the Shimano E-Tube Project app. It gets terrible reviews and apparently the firmware upgrade stops at 10% and 'bricks' your Di2 gears. I don't have Di2, is it safe to use with the E-8000 Steps motor system?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Hi, just went to the iOS App Store to download the Shimano E-Tube Project app. It gets terrible reviews and apparently the firmware upgrade stops at 10% and 'bricks' your Di2 gears. I don't have Di2, is it safe to use with the E-8000 Steps motor system?

The E-Tube Project "should" be safe to use with E8000 - if you don't have Di2 it will let you adjust the assistance of Trail & Boost modes slightly.

But I know people in the past have had problems, like here: Bike bricked during firmware update? - EMTB Forums. I think that could only possibly happen if you update the firmware (which I believe is optional).

I think Shimano have improved the wireless connection in a recent update, but with past problems it doesn't inspire confidence unfortunately!

And I've never used the App version myself as I don't have iOS or Android. I always use the Windows version with a PCE1 connection cable.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Ah it's officially a Shimano SM-PCE1 if you are searching :) Looks like this:

Untitled picture.png

I believe there is a newer version too now SM-PCE2 or SM-PCE02 - maybe has enhanced communication or something? But the PCE1 works fine.

It's fairly costly, but useful if you are planning on doing lots of changes, or just like getting into the tech of it :)

I got from Amazon which seems cheaper than some places:

Otherwise, I always check Bike 24: Shimano Setting Kit for STePS and Di2 or Shimano SM-PCE02 PC Interface for Di2 + STePS

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
A lot of shops have this equipment, for setting up on new bikes or when customers are upgrading to di2. I got my local shop to update my bike yesterday, I have had problems with the app not connecting in the past.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
Thanks mark.ai and R120. Seems quite an investment for the occasional (hopefully) firmware upgrade. Seems like a job for my LBS. I hope that they will assist since the Vitus is a direct purchase.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
FYI, you can update the firmware and change basic settings with the free orginal e-tube app, just don't forget the Bluetooth pairing code after the initial setup. The only functional benefit that I found of the PCE1 is resetting the Bluetooth pairing code. You cannot change location, wheel or chainring size.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Project.

Project is the app that enables you to change settings

Ride is an app designed for hybrid/commuter bikes where you can use you phone as a display.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles