Shimano Introduces New 'Linkglide' Drivetrain Technology with Bold Longevity Claims

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/shimano-introduces-new-high-durability-drivetrain.html

Shimano introduces a new drivetrain technology today, Linkglide. It’s designed not to be the lightest weight but to prioritise durability and shift performance. It also represents something of a fork in the road for the brand’s drivetrains. There will still be Hyperglide+, and this will remain the lightweight fast shifting performance range, while Linkglide will sit alongside their current offerings, as opposed to replacing them.

Shimano claims that their testing shows that Linkglide cassettes are 300% more durable than prior Hyperglide cassettes, and three times less degradation to the cassette should mean fewer chain skips, more mileage, and better shifting long into the cassette’s lifespan.

Linkglide will be available in either 10 speed Deore (RD-M5130-SGS) or 11 speed Deore XT (RD-M8130-SGS).

Before we all celebrate too quickly, there is one small catch - the Linkglide technology, while introduced in Deore 1x10 or XT 1x11 speed as a highly durable option, is not cross compatible or retrofittable with current drivetrains due to different gear pitches. All Linkglide components will feature a logo to differentiate them from their stablemates.

A CS-LG600-11 11-50T XT cassette, pictured, weighs 780g. The CS-LG600-10 11-43T Deore cassette is slightly lighter at 634g.

The teeth of Linkglide cassettes are made from plated steel with a new shape to reduce wear and tear. The teeth feature a thicker and more robust construction to prevent wear in the areas that experience the most degradation over time. Linkglide cassette teeth are also taller and stronger towards the tips to prevent chain skipping and tooth deformation, even as the miles add up. Sprockets 11T, 13T, 15T of the cassettes are replaceable.

The Linkglide cassettes also feature a new shifting gate design and position, enabling the chain to move smoothly across the sprockets. These gates aim to reduce pedal shock or jumps during shifting, providing better pedaling fluidity and smoother pedaling performance.

The SL-M8130-R XT shifter; the SL-M5130-R Deore shifter is available with an optional shift window.

Two new shifters, again Deore and XT, are available. The XT has multiple clamping options whereas the Deore makes do with a simple band. The shifters use a different pull ratio to the rest of Shimano's range so are not compatible with non-Linkglide systems. They are, however, somewhat interchangeable with each other thanks to a linear pull ratio. That means an 11 speed shifter will work on a 10 speed derailleur.

Linkglide cassettes are compatible with standard HG freehubs. To accompany the new Linkglide cassettes, there are also new Deore XT and Deore derailleurs and shifters. The derailleurs feature Shimano’s Shadow RD+ low profile design and clutch mechanism.

All Linkglide drivetrains use a common chain design, regardless of the number of cogs on the cassette. Existing 11-speed Shimano chains are compatible with Linkglide drivetrains. It’s perhaps also worth noting that all Shimano 11-speed chains are currently e-bike rated or e-bike designed.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Mixed feelings about this. It's good that Shimano is responding to the fact that wear and tear is proving to be really severe for some riders. Still, that's nearly a pound of extra weight on the XT cassette compared to its 8100 equivalent. I don't really get why they're reverting back to HG freehubs as well.

The elephant in the room is this talk about "different gear pitch". If this isn't a standard 1/2 inch gear pitch, then you're going to have chainring compatibility issues and I'd imagine you couldn't use your current chain wear tools to measure wear.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...........The elephant in the room is this talk about "different gear pitch". If this isn't a standard 1/2 inch gear pitch, then you're going to have chainring compatibility issues and I'd imagine you couldn't use your current chain wear tools to measure wear.
As you say, it can't be the actual gear pitch that is different as it would not mesh with 1/2" chain pitch. I took it to mean that because each gear is thicker, they have to be further apart from each other than a normal 10 speed or 11 speed. But that would mean the cassettes are wider, linkglide vs hyperglide for any specific speed.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Hmm.. :unsure: *Wonders when they'll be available to buy*
I have a Shimano 12 speed (10-45) xt/xtr setup that I still haven't fitted yet. Thinking maybe I should buy a new hybrid steel HG freehub and the 10 speed Deore instead...

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
This is one more step in the wrong direction.
They kill the consumer and attack the bank account.
You are force to stay with the motor because it is integrated to the frame.
You cannot buy any battery, same reason.
Now you are stock with one supplier for the transmission.
They do not care about making money from a new Ebike
they are certain month after monthssss money will come in to replace stuff.
This is creating a monopoly wich should be illegal.
Price shopping is a thing of the past.
Bad Shimano, bad, bad.
But read the great review

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
My only concern is whether this extra durable cassette will take its toll with your freehub. It looks like it fits on a standard shimano freehub but I've lost count of how many freehub bodies I've had to swap on my wheels because the cassette has warn away the grooves.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Mixed feelings about this. It's good that Shimano is responding to the fact that wear and tear is proving to be really severe for some riders. Still, that's nearly a pound of extra weight on the XT cassette compared to its 8100 equivalent. I don't really get why they're reverting back to HG freehubs as well.

The elephant in the room is this talk about "different gear pitch". If this isn't a standard 1/2 inch gear pitch, then you're going to have chainring compatibility issues and I'd imagine you couldn't use your current chain wear tools to measure wear.
It’s nothing to do with gear / chain pitch tgat hadn’t changed , It’s the shifting ratio that’s different , ie the amount of cable the shifter moves per shift , which is the difference between sram and shimano hence it can’t mix with normal shimano
more details here

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
My only concern is whether this extra durable cassette will take its toll with your freehub. It looks like it fits on a standard shimano freehub but I've lost count of how many freehub bodies I've had to swap on my wheels because the cassette has warn away the grooves.
You only need to gently file down the raised burns on your freehub , or better still buy a steel freehub if you can get one in your brand . Tighten the cassette well helps stop that happening

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
I would assume this was designed for the Microspline hubs. I just cannot see it being used on old fragile hg hubs.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I would assume this was designed for the Microspline hubs. I just cannot see it being used on old fragile hg hubs.

This is HG freehub, but as its all a one-piece groupset (not compatible with anything else shimano) youd assume it has been designed mainly as kit for OEM's and so bikes should come with steel freehub body.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Just the one $23 / 30€ Deore chain (CN-LG500) is offered specifically for the new setups, but you can also still use any other 10 or 11-speed chain with the rest of the new Shimano LinkGlide components. Only Deore-level LinkGlide cassettes are offered in either the 10sp, 634g 11-43T (CS-LG600-10) for $62 / 65€, or the 11sp, 780g 11-50T (CS-LG600-11) for $98 / 108€.

The Deore 10s shifter (SL-M5130-R) sells for $34 / 46€, to be paired to the Deore 1×10 GS rear derailleur (RD-M5130) for $55 / 60€.

The XT 11s shifter (SL-M8130-R) sells for $67 / 75€, paired to the XT 1×11 SGS rear derailleur (RD-M8130) for $122 / 124€.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/www.bikeru...earing-mountain-bike-groupset_gravel-road.jpg

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I'm in. The smallest cogs always wear and then skip with a new chain for me on my sram 11 speed, they are now replaceable.
Bit of an initial outlay but 3 cassettes a year at £100 each is getting silly.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Let's just hope the plating lasts longer than my xt cassette which was a few rides in, only one ring mind but had no response as yet
20210312_104349.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Bad Shimano, bad, bad.
I was told once by an engineering design consultant that nail guns are almost given away because they make their money out of selling the nails. If that concept catches on in the emtb industry, they'll be almost giving away emtbs just so they can sell us motors and batteries! :)

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Why won't this cassette work with my current 10 or 11 speed stuff on HG freehub?

SrAM did this years ago with the Ex1 but botched it!- with a stupid price tag. They used 10 speed pitch on an 8 speed indexer. So what is this linkglide thing really?

Last edited:

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Why won't this cassette work with my current 10 or 11 speed stuff on HG freehub?

SrAM did this years ago with the Ex1 but botched it!- with a stupid price tag. They used 10 speed pitch on an 8 speed indexer. So what is this linkglide thing really?
The cassette will fit your HG freehub, but because the cogs are thicker you need the derailleur & shifter as well, because different pull ratio

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
So Shimano notices the HG freehub cant handle the drivetrain power nowadays, and comes up with the Microspline. Next, moving to emtb they notice the cassette is now the weakest point and they invent Linkglide. But oh wait, with Linkglide lets go back to the old weak HG hub, because that looks like the smart thing to do!

What kind of retard move is that!?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
So Shimano notices the HG freehub cant handle the drivetrain power nowadays, and comes up with the Microspline. Next, moving to emtb they notice the cassette is now the weakest point and they invent Linkglide. But oh wait, with Linkglide lets go back to the old weak HG hub, because that looks like the smart thing to do!

KI-CHING !!! They sell problems so they pretend to sell soutions next year. But the 2024 will be great, they will say replace the scrap we sold you. They make sure stuff we have is not compatible.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
There is no problem with HG that I am aware of, provided the driver is steel. The steel HG driver splines on my Giants, have been indestructible, though other parts of the hubs did fail.

I might just go all in on this linkglide thing. If I order today I might have one, by this time next year.

remosito

Aug 25, 2020
switzerland
Just upgraded my old 11speed 11-42T to the 11speed 11-50t derailleur a month ago when casette/chain were worn... :-/

would have waited for this.

Anyway...liking the gear ratios btw.
- 11-50t on 11 speed. only one other casette from shimano afaik.. pretty new too.... 46t was highest before afaik.
- 11-43t on 10 speed. Was there even 10 speed with such a high ratio before from shimano?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Just upgraded my old 11speed 11-42T to the 11speed 11-50t derailleur a month ago when casette/chain were worn... :-/

would have waited for this.

Anyway...liking the gear ratios btw.
- 11-50t on 11 speed. only one other casette from shimano afaik.. pretty new too.... 46t was highest before afaik.
- 11-43t on 10 speed. Was there even 10 speed with such a high ratio before from shimano?
I have been using 10 S 11-42 for 3 years.
The 11 S 11-50 is similar with an extra gear.
My Ebike with 10 S 11-42 is plenty, no need for 11 nor 12 S.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

The only problem with the hg free hub was other manufacturers making it in soft alloy to save wieght buy a steel free hub body is its no problem and still the simplest design. You can’t blame shimano for stuff they don’t manufacture

T jeerd

Mar 5, 2021
Ch
Bad Shimano, bad, bad.
What? To me it sounds like a company is finally doing what the customer wants. At least I want this!
Just shit that it’s not compatible. Just bought xt shit.
well maybe just keep it as spares. And try anyway.

remosito

Aug 25, 2020
switzerland
I have been using 10 S 11-42 for 3 years.
The 11 S 11-50 is similar with an extra gear.
My Ebike with 10 S 11-42 is plenty, no need for 11 nor 12 S.

I stand corrected on the 10 gear having had 11-42 already. My bike came 11 gear already. Only did a quick search once for a friend for 10 gear casettes. And only got 11-36T as max at the time (if I remember the 36 correctly).

Very good to know! Thanks.

I guess you have a stronger motor, better legs (most likely candidate), or live in flatter country. Or I am an even older fart.

But after upgrade from 42T granny to 50T greatgranny gear me and my bike achieved balance.
Now if it is as steep as I can actually ride up technically (no front wheel lift-off) collective support of motor, legs and transmission gives me enough juice to keep going. With 42T our collective would run out of juice sooner than later...

In the end I wouldn't care if it's 10 or 11 gears. It's the range that matters.

Which is why I am not interested in 12ers at all. 11-50T to 10-51T just doesn't give me anything additional I have a need for.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I stand corrected on the 10 gear having had 11-42 already. My bike came 11 gear already. Only did a quick search once for a friend for 10 gear casettes. And only got 11-36T as max at the time (if I remember the 36 correctly).

Very good to know! Thanks.

I guess you have a stronger motor, better legs (most likely candidate), or live in flatter country. Or I am an even older fart.

But after upgrade from 42T granny to 50T greatgranny gear me and my bike achieved balance.
Now if it is as steep as I can actually ride up technically (no front wheel lift-off) collective support of motor, legs and transmission gives me enough juice to keep going. With 42T our collective would run out of juice sooner than later...

In the end I wouldn't care if it's 10 or 11 gears. It's the range that matters.

Which is why I am not interested in 12ers at all. 11-50T to 10-51T just doesn't give me anything additional I have a need for.
I have a 5 year old HT and the 11S SRAM is great 10/42 but i went from 32 front to 28 and it is great for me. It is kind of having
a 32 front with 10/50 but without the 10T wich is great for me. I love to climb so all my bikes have tires and transmission
to help me. In 2016 the cassette 10S 11-36 was popular but often on 20 S like a fat i own.

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
I'm not surprised Shimano have gone down this route after owning their latest SLX 12sp groupset. It is one of the worst feeling drivetrains I've ever owned, and I broke a chain in the first 70k's.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles