• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Shimano I-spec question

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a XTM8000 shifter joined to a BR-M520 brake by an I-spec II clamp. The I-spec II clamp is supposed to offer a greater range of angle adjustment (between brake and shifter). But mine doesn't. In fact it appears to be almost fixed. This is on a newly supplied bike.

Before I start dismantling this, am I right to assume that there actually is a "greater range of adjustment", bearing in mind that this was Shimano's third iteration of an adjustable clamp.

On the "I-spec a" iteration, I had to separate the brake and shifter and use separate clamps in order to get the angle adjustment I was looking for.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I have a XTM8000 shifter joined to a BR-M520 brake by an I-spec II clamp. The I-spec II clamp is supposed to offer a greater range of angle adjustment (between brake and shifter). But mine doesn't. In fact it appears to be almost fixed. This is on a newly supplied bike.

Before I start dismantling this, am I right to assume that there actually is a "greater range of adjustment", bearing in mind that this was Shimano's third iteration of an adjustable clamp.

On the "I-spec a" iteration, I had to separate the brake and shifter and use separate clamps in order to get the angle adjustment I was looking for.
You cannot adjust the shifter and brake lever angle independently on the I-Spec II clamp, it's fixed. You can just move the shifter sideways and the adjustment range is same as the I-Spec B.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thank you Tamas for your very clear answer. It is what I needed to know. I will now find a separate clamp for the shifter and dispense with the I-spec ii. Do you forsee any problems with that, or do you have any advice?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Thank you Tamas for your very clear answer. It is what I needed to know. I will now find a separate clamp for the shifter and dispense with the I-spec ii. Do you forsee any problems with that, or do you have any advice?
No problem with that, I did the same. :)
Only thing is that you need this piece under the clamp when you remove the shifter to fill the gap.
Reducer

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 8.02.55 AM.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles