Shimano eTube Project failures

ebikerdiary

Jan 14, 2019
Sydney
Hi all; just got a 2020 Merida eOne Sixty 8000 and have tried multiple, multiple, times to connect via the Bluetooth eTube Project software. Version 3.4.4 is the latest, but it repeatedly fails to find my display unit. My iPad can find it via its own Bluetooth, but the Shimano App seems hopeless. Does anyone have similar experience or a fix?

ebikerdiary

Jan 14, 2019
Sydney
The display unit is the SC-E8000; it is switched to Bluetooth LE, which is correct. Followed every step meticulously, still nothing. Curiously, my iPad can detect the display, but my app cannot. Cheers.

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula
The display unit is the SC-E8000; it is switched to Bluetooth LE, which is correct. Followed every step meticulously, still nothing. Curiously, my iPad can detect the display, but my app cannot. Cheers.

Try deleting the app and downloading it again then see if that fixes the problem

ebikerdiary

Jan 14, 2019
Sydney
stand to the left of the bike, I see this at the shop all the time. It's a weird quirk.
Its weird all right, but does not make a difference. Each time I get near pairing and asked for a passcode, then get message "Unable to authenticate". Same on ipad and iphone. There has got to be a solution!

Isto

Apr 30, 2019
Tampere
Have you tried to remove first bikes information from bluetooth settings of your phone and tried connection again after that?

ebikerdiary

Jan 14, 2019
Sydney
Thanks to those who tried to help with this Shimano software issue. Took the bike to Sydney Electric Bikes Hornsby and it was reset. But this is the interesting part that might help others with a Shimano Steps 80000 bike. The reason I was keen to customise the drive settings was because my 2020 Merida eOne Sixty 8000 felt like there was a big gap between second and third assist range. My 2018 model felt the same until I customised the drive. It turns out that the factory pre-set for Eco, Trail, and Boost was 40 - 70 - 300%. We re-set it for 100 - 200- 300% assist and the transitions are now seamless. It changes the whole feel of the bike. Hope that helps someone.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks to those who tried to help with this Shimano software issue. Took the bike to Sydney Electric Bikes Hornsby and it was reset. But this is the interesting part that might help others with a Shimano Steps 80000 bike. The reason I was keen to customise the drive settings was because my 2020 Merida eOne Sixty 8000 felt like there was a big gap between second and third assist range. My 2018 model felt the same until I customised the drive. It turns out that the factory pre-set for Eco, Trail, and Boost was 40 - 70 - 300%. We re-set it for 100 - 200- 300% assist and the transitions are now seamless. It changes the whole feel of the bike. Hope that helps someone.
That's interesting. The trail setting at 70% seems particularly low, based on what I've been able to figure out about the was Shimano sets the defaults. I don't know why they want to keep it a mystery as to what's really going on 'under the hood', or why it should be such a pain to update, or even calculate what settings to use. ST Unlocker has been a godsend. Simano's one-size-fits-all method really needs to be updated. How about an app that lets you calculate your settings based on your efficiency goals, performance wishes, weight, and the type of trails you want to ride on? STEPs Tuning really needs it's own thread, here!

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I follow those threads, but they seem to be more about derestricting them actually optimizing motor tuning for the individual rider.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I used the custom profile. Eco down to med (was high), Trail down to low - I think it was medium - it's different in different profiles. I did this with etube app. That suits me. Generally I'm on eco. I use trail for very steep technical climbs - any more juice and I think I'd lose traction. I also use trail when I'm riding with a friend - it seems to be similar power / battery use to what he uses. I find the connecting process on my bike fickle - there's a small window of opportunity to have the app looking as the bike starts up. Shimano could really do better.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In the motors section

Shimano

Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 11.57.06.png

Souphead

May 7, 2020
Edinburgh
Thanks for the discussion.
I've just got a 2019 Merida eOneSixty and I cant get the Steps system to connect properly using the App...
I want to keep the warranty so I won't derestrict using this other app you reference,
but I do want to reconfigure the power across the range.
I will head over to the motor thread.

Souphead

May 7, 2020
Edinburgh
Hi all; just got a 2020 Merida eOne Sixty 8000 and have tried multiple, multiple, times to connect via the Bluetooth eTube Project software. Version 3.4.4 is the latest, but it repeatedly fails to find my display unit. My iPad can find it via its own Bluetooth, but the Shimano App seems hopeless. Does anyone have similar experience or a fix?
Ok.. so I used my lenovo tablet to download the updates to the operating system, through this Shimano Etube App for AndroidTablets.
Everything was going well, apart from the download cutting out intermittently.
I was around 60% finished uploading the operating system updates when I got another 'interruption message' and tried again to reconnect with the bikes computer.
No response.
I couldn't switch it off or change it in any way by using the buttons or motor switches as per usual....
After leaving it for around 15 mins I switched the bike off.. then on again.

Now the computer screen doesnt show any response at all.

I think the operating system is wiped.

I am so fed up I havent tried to see if the gear changes work...
Can anyone reassure me that Shimano can do a 'factory reset' of this.
It's still under warranty.

Would I be better upgrading the unit to a 2020 model?

Thanks

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If it keeps doing this a local bike sop should be able to plug into into a laptop to do it, provided they are a shimano service centre

Souphead

May 7, 2020
Edinburgh
If it keeps doing this a local bike sop should be able to plug into into a laptop to do it, provided they are a shimano service centre
Ah thanks for the reassurance.
I've just emailed my fab bike suppliers (e-bikes direct) to get confirmation that it's ok to do this locally while keeping the warranty.

The whole Operating System seems to have dropped out!

I guess it's just track stand practice for me, until I can talk some techies into rebooting it.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Yeah, these things happen. I brought my new bike home on Saturday and attempted a firmware update myself and bricked to the computer. Had to wait until Monday morning to get it reset and ride the bike.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Also dont feel like you need to update the bike each time an update is available - they did one major update at the back end of 2018 IIRC that changed how trail mode worked, but apart from the most of them are meaningless, and another last year than enabled you to change the eco assistance levels. I.E dont feel like you always have to update it and be checking for updates!

Here is a list of all updates to date, though it contains references to updates to other Shimano STEPS components you may not have.

ファームウェア更新情報一覧(日付順/モデルタイプ別)|E-TUBE PROJECT|シマノ

And these are the E8000 motor specific ones

ファームウェア更新情報 詳細|E-TUBE PROJECT|シマノ

Some of the other components such as the battery and controllers get firmware updates from time to time too

Souphead

May 7, 2020
Edinburgh
Ive just posted in a similar thread to this that the BIOS of the Shimano e800 chip has been corrupt due to link disconnection during the update by Bluetooth.
... so...
I have to wait for the bikeshop to talk to Shimano and see if they can effect a fix on line.
If so, I simply pay them, otherwise it's a 'send it back for repair' issue.
I asked about a hard replacement or upgrade, but Shimano only allow manufacturers access to new chips.
My bike suppliers are going to ask Merida about this.

All in all a lot of hassle for various people, all because a simple message is not loud and clear enough -
here is my advice:

*get updates to this system done by Shimano bikeshop, do not risk the possible disruption of a bluetooth disconnection.*

Of course, it could also possibly be a faulty chip.

I will keep you posted if that appropriate, I'm new here..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles