Shimano e8000

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I'd thought I'd share a bit of good news for a change
I bought a new Merida e160 in October 2018, almost 3 and a half years ago from my lbs
A month or so ago it developed E010 & W013 faults, so I took it back to the place I bought it, Start cycles in Newcastle.
I was fearing a rather large bill for a replacement motor when I found it wasn't repairable
They sent the motor away to Shimano for investigation and they have just sent a new motor free of charge, only £40 labour cost to fit it.
😀

Julz

Jan 20, 2022
Innerleithen
Great news and service.
Roughly how long was the turnaround on the motor replacement? My OH has his 2 month old Nukeproof megawatt in for warranty at the moment with an E01020 fault. Been told it will be a motor replacement but no idea how long it will take.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I think it's been around 5 or 6 weeks in total
7th of Feb i dropped it off so not too bad really
I work offshore on a 3x3 rotation so I've only had 3 weeks without it, I'll be picking it up on my drive home from Aberdeen next week
Really pleased with the outcome

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Haha no, I just took it back to where bought it expecting a large bill but Shimano requested the motor back to investigate the problem
The mechanic said usually when they ask for the motor back they replace it
Its not a warranty job as such as its out of warranty and I need to pay the labour

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
That is a positive message indeed (y)
Although I think it will be an exception to have a three year old motor replaced for free.

Sadly my bike is beginning to develop E010 errors...
First time that happened was in september 2021, turning the bike off and on again several times gave no result. Fortunately this happened during a short pause on the last downhill of a week of biking in the Italian Alps (holiday). So I got down without assist (that was easy :)) to the small village we stayed in, had a drink, did nothing to the bike and powered it on again. The error was gone, and it was trouble-free until three weeks ago when I got the E010 error again, this time while pedaling. At first the assist was a bit irregular for a few seconds and then it cut out completely. Turning the bike off and on again didn't help so I cycled back to the car without assist.

Put the bike in the car, drove home and then the problem was gone... without doing anything to the bike.

First time in the Alps the motor had almost 5.000km on it.
Last time the odometer showed about 5.600km.

The bike is a Merida eOne-sixty 900 which I bought (new) in june 2018, so almost four years old now.
I bought the SM-PCE02 unit to link the bike to my pc and the error log file looked like this:
IMG_20220412_123338043_HDR.jpg

For those who don't read Dutch ;): "abnormal sensor behaviour was detected in the drive unit".
I suspect the torque sensor in the motor to be the cause. Contacts are clean, battery holder is adjusted correctly, I try to avoid riding in muddy conditions (I use another bike when there's a lot of mud) and I don't wash the bike often.

I haven't tried to contact Merida or Shimano because the bike is almost four years old and way over the warranty of two years. Maybe I'll give it a try anyway after having read the first message :)
But I do think that less than 6.000km is way to soon for a motor to die. For some that means less then one year of cyling! (I have other bikes too so don't ride the Merida every week).
Because I like riding the eOne-sixty very much and I can't sell it for a good price anyway with these errors I ordered a new motor through eBay. Hopefully that'll last for at least another four years!

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
After my experience I think it would be worth trying the place you bought it from first
They may offer to replace the motor at a discounted price if you purchased it new from them

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
I will but it can take a while before I'll install it. I don't have much time at the moment and it looks like that's not going to change anytime soon...

According to the track & trace the motor will arrive later today :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles