Shimano E8000 wet weather capability

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
We rode our e bikes through a few shallow rivers no problem but one was way too deep so carried them....between us

20190803_121856.jpg

20190807_120948.jpg

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
That’s why having both is the one ?

How does that help when you're eight miles and 2000 feet of climbing from home, on a dark wet night, with your mates (on analogue bikes) absolutely peeing themselves with hilarity and your display showing 'error WO 13'?

Get some new mates is not the answer I'm looking for.

PS I have plenty of other bikes but tend not to carry them around with me when I go out on my e-mtb.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
How does that help when you're eight miles and 2000 feet of climbing from home, on a dark wet night, with your mates (on analogue bikes) absolutely peeing themselves with hilarity and your display showing 'error WO 13'?

PS I have plenty of other bikes but tend not to carry them around with me when I go out on my e-mtb.
Not a pleasent situation to be in, but I guess that neither a second bike at home or a spare motor at home helps in that situation - it just sucks either way :oops:

Last edited:

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey

Maybe hire a personal mechanic to follow you or get back on your MTB ?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
flyingbike.jpg

I carry a pack of balloons and some helium cartridges in my Camelbak. Floats my bike right across the rivers and streams. Takes a few minutes to set up, and sometimes I don't land exactly where I'd hope, but it beats getting the motor wet.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I just drove back from mid Wales, to just north of Grantham (about 5 hours including stops). It rained pretty much the whole way. There were many streams flowing across the roads and in some villages the roads were flooded and some cars were baulking at the depth.The bike was on the tow bar rack the whole time, without any form of wrapping to protect the electrics. As soon as I got home the first thing I did was to see if the bike came on. I was gratified and a tiny bit surprised that it came straight on! :love:

Which was good news, because I'm leading a guided ride with seven other people tomorrow! :D

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I just drove back from mid Wales, to just north of Grantham (about 5 hours including stops). It rained pretty much the whole way. There were many streams flowing across the roads and in some villages the roads were flooded and some cars were baulking at the depth.The bike was on the tow bar rack the whole time, without any form of wrapping to protect the electrics. As soon as I got home the first thing I did was to see if the bike came on. I was gratified and a tiny bit surprised that it came straight on! :love:

Which was good news, because I'm leading a guided ride with seven other people tomorrow! :D
It seems like if you just avoid submerging it, it runs as it's supposed to. I guess Shimano has done a great job.

Hugo Last

Oct 19, 2019
Effingham

To avoid the humiliation I would not ave let on,and made some excuse and sneaked off in opposite direction. BTW is that error code and did you get it fixed?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That'll be because the scoops and channels you're describing won't go into the motor casing OR the connector bay and (presumably?) just scoop cool air around the sealed motor casing.
But the cables go down one of the air scoops, so they either go directly to the motor, or they must pierce the barrier between the air flow channel and the motor, via a grommet I suppose.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
To avoid the humiliation I would not ave let on,and made some excuse and sneaked off in opposite direction. BTW is that error code and did you get it fixed?

I did, I said I'd lost my glasses.

WO13 is the motor/torque sensor. Took it to my LBS at the beginning of September who said it needs a new motor but that there are none available until November and that I should ride it and see how it develops.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
But the cables go down one of the air scoops, so they either go directly to the motor, or they must pierce the barrier between the air flow channel and the motor, via a grommet I suppose.

True Steve, all the cables just run down the down tube, past the battery to a bunch of connectors at the motor. No barriers, no grommets, nothing to impede the progress of any water that gets into the scoops.

I'm still not convinced that the scoops are anything more than a styling gimmick but they do make the switching around of hoses and cables much easier.

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
To bump this thread: today I have pulled apart protective cover on my focus jam2 motor and noticed there was some moisture gathering. Not a big deal, as I was literally riding is melting snow/swamp/deep water puddles, and when motor gets hot I expect these will evaporate... But still decided to put some silicagels inside. Wondering if anyone else had this idea :)

4997A414-4598-4DB3-8911-2FF6DFF36ADF.jpeg

8AF550B5-B3D8-4782-ACD4-52DAE3A07CF2.jpeg

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Those packets will do nothing in that open environment and are designed to be used in closed containers. They will only minimally reduce moisture captured during packaging

I learned the hard way (new motor = $1000) motor is not sealed in any meaningful way and to stay out of deep water.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
How long would the motor last if nearly submerged and having to pedal through an unexpectedly deep puddle?

During the recent UK rainy season I ventured out several times ...on one occasion I attempted a ford river crossing ..without thinking (usual state) I plunged into the torrent of water to find A. it was much deeper than it looked and B, there was quiet a current. 2 crank rotations in and the water was over the motor.........SH1T ..tried to turn back but got swept off bike ..... pushed back to the "shore" ....
To my amazement the motor was undamaged and I carried on my ride with water squelching out of shoes, socks. trousers and somewhat the wiser...
Well done Shimano.
PS had previously greased and silicone sprayed the connection terminals and made an attempt to waterproof the engine bay but there is only so much you can do.

Last edited:

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Just wondering, would silicone spraying be effective in this case? Did you use generic spray, like this one (for cars)?

A10AEF82-BE30-476A-BBAF-5D01BA0CD9CF.jpeg

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Just wondering, would silicone spraying be effective in this case? Did you use generic spray, like this one (for cars)?

Effective for what? You won't waterproof the motor with it and there really isn't a lot of corrosion occurring on the terminals. Use a small amount of dielectric grease on the plugs and hit the wire terminals with a short spray of corrosion-x or similar. Anything that stays wet and gooey is just going to collect dirt, dust and grime and make a mess.

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
NEWB here from Maine, USA.
I didn't want to get flamed for not searching before asking and I dug up this thread.
So...
After watching this video, do you know of any reasons to not totally soak an emtb's motor and electronics
with Corrosion-X?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles