Shimano E8000 wet weather capability

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Just getting my first eMTB - a Commencal Meta Power 29 - in a few weeks. It will be arriving in the wet autumn season. I live in Denmark where the autumn and winter usually turns out wet and cold. Trails is usually with a lot of mud and one the heavy build new ones a lot of puddles which gives the bike a lot spray from underneath. What is your experience with wet weather riding an E8000 powered eMTB?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Seal the entire connection bay cover. Tape or bathroom sealant will work
and also block the opening to the top rear where the cables come in from. Motofoam does a good job there.
Both are not adequately sealed from new

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Seal the entire connection bay cover. Tape or bathroom sealant will work
and also block the opening to the top rear where the cables come in from. Motofoam does a good job there.
Both are not adequately sealed from new
I guess the factory sealant is inadequate as usual. I’ll get going with some sealing (y)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
there's no sealing
it's a simple moulded plastic cover attached with 3 screws.
water can get in through the edges

The opening at the rear/top will be more protected on some frame designs than others. shine a torch from behind/outside the frame and see if any light is showing through the opening. if it is water can get in. Block/plug it. Sealant is messy so I suggest moto foam around the wiring and in the gap

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My bike is a Focus with a battery in the down tube, not designed for casual removal.

It has two big air scoops on the headset to channel cooling air down past the battery and Shimano E8000 motor. The scoops are perfectly positioned to channel rain and water splashes down there too. The water flows out of holes in the bottom around the motor. These holes are also perfectly positioned to let water in from puddles and puddle splashes.

Despite this apparently crap design, I have had zero problems with water either on the trail, on the tow-bar rack in rainstorms, or when washing the bike. Not such a crap design after all then!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Despite this apparently crap design, I have had zero problems with water either on the trail, on the tow-bar rack in rainstorms, or when washing the bike. Not such a crap design after all then!
That'll be because the scoops and channels you're describing won't go into the motor casing OR the connector bay and (presumably?) just scoop cool air around the sealed motor casing.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
To be fair I’ve done 1,400 miles on my e8000, mainly casing the hell out of the bike and abusing the motor in wet and dry conditions. So far so good, but based on the feedback here it won’t be long before I experience some sort of problem.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That'll be because the scoops and channels you're describing won't go into the motor casing OR the connector bay and (presumably?) just scoop cool air around the sealed motor casing.
That makes sense to me, but the publicity does not make that clear, at all. Maybe it was just cleverly worded and I saw what they wanted me to see, or what I wanted to see. :giggle:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Mine has been very reliable in wet weather, though I'd avoid deep creek crossings, and be certain that the charging port seal is fully closed/seated. The only water-related issue I've had is with my DI2 rear derailleur when I crossed a stream and the port plug for the unused DI2 port was missing. Stopped working for a day until it dried out.

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
Just getting my first eMTB - a Commencal Meta Power 29 - in a few weeks. It will be arriving in the wet autumn season. I live in Denmark where the autumn and winter usually turns out wet and cold. Trails is usually with a lot of mud and one the heavy build new ones a lot of puddles which gives the bike a lot spray from underneath. What is your experience with wet weather riding an E8000 powered eMTB?
No problems with cold, mud or wet conditions and I've ridden my E8000 equipped bike in all conditions for 3500+ miles over the last two years.

24955395_10156040474463474_3263277400170408579_o.jpg

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I’ve had a good few weeks of wet weather abuse at bike parks. I’ve slammed 30ft plus jumps and cased the hell out of my Commencal but she’s still good and the e8000 is fine ?

A good few of my riding pals have e8000 bikes and zeros problems for them so far.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
My bike is a Focus with a battery in the down tube, not designed for casual removal.

It has two big air scoops on the headset to channel cooling air down past the battery and Shimano E8000 motor. The scoops are perfectly positioned to channel rain and water splashes down there too. The water flows out of holes in the bottom around the motor. These holes are also perfectly positioned to let water in from puddles and puddle splashes.

@steve_sordy did you ever had troubles with the motor or battery after splash of deep puddle?
F5915367-EDC1-4B3F-94D7-E52D81A0CC07.jpeg

This is a pretty typical small puddle on one of my trails - around 10 cm deep - it’s the sort that gives quite a splash up when riding through them at speed.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Trail-Niels No problems at all!

This may be because (as Gary pointed out) the air may flow down channels that keep the water away from the battery, connectors and the motor. I don't know this to be true, but it makes sense.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
How long would the motor last if nearly submerged and having to pedal through an unexpectedly deep puddle?

From the FAQ:

"Can I ride an e-bike in the rain?
Yes, STEPS equipped e-bikes are water resistant. This means they can be ridden in the rain but note; they are not meant to be submerged under water."

I've ridden in pouring rain on trails that were basically running streams, without incident. I would NOT however cross a deep stream or long, deep puddle with mine. I'd carry it across.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
From the FAQ:

Yes, STEPS equipped e-bikes are water resistant. This means they can be ridden in the rain but note; they are not meant to be submerged under water."

I've ridden in pouring rain on trails that were basically running streams, without incident. I would NOT however cross a deep stream or long, deep puddle with mine. I'd carry it across.[/QUOTE]

Excellent! We have volunteer(victim) to shuttle our heavy bikes across the water hole...

Last edited:

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
From the FAQ:
I’ve read that too, but first of all it’s a mountain bike, which is supposed to hit the dirt even though it has a motor. Second it’s always easier to judge the capability from people who have firsthand experience rather than from a sales text. When it all adds up, Shimano would probably rather be safe than sorry so obviously submerging it in water is not a good idea ;)

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
On route to Morzine earlier this year we drove through the worst rain storm I’ve ever seen , two full hours of torrential rain with the bike on a rear rack .
I was convinced the bike would be dead on arrival but fortunately it was fine and has been ever since.
I would be interested to see some pics of the aforementioned gaps to be sealed if anybody has the time to post any ?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Much as I love my e-mtbs, I just wish e-mtb ownership could be as carefree as it was in the good old days of unassisted pedalling.
Just have to accept that the increased enjoyment compensates for inevitable electrical failure, similar to the one I experienced last night.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles