Shimano E8000 ST Unlocker..now bike doesn't work

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
I’ve got the app but can’t for the life of me figure out how to download a licence. Where is the licence request form?

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Latest version of everything. License request, have a look on the website. Pretty sure all details on there in manual. It’s dead easy.

ian6354

Jun 27, 2019
North Yorkshire
I’ve got the app but can’t for the life of me figure out how to download a licence. Where is the licence request form?
I did it last night. Really simple, from the menu select ‘request licence’. You’ll probably get a reply link within the hour. This will upgrade the app once followed.

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
Hi all

I recently downloaded the ST Unlocker app to change the speed limit settings on my E8000 motor.
I followed the instructions that was provided from ST Unlocker to downgrade my firmware to and earlier version. This part all appeared to go seamlessly, I then opened the ST app to change the speed limits, again all appears perfectly fine. After resetting the limits I went for a quick test ride (about 1km), once again everything was working okay. Now here's where the problems started to happen, no matter what I did I couldn't turn the battery off. Hold the on/off switch for 1 second...nothing. Hold the on/off switch for 5 seconds..nothing. I then opened the ST app and the motor turned off, great...so I thought. Now, no matter what i do I can't turn the motor on. I've disconnected the battery from the bike for a considerable length of time to no avail.

Does anyone on here have any tips or tricks I could try before I take the bike to the LBS for repairs.

Hopefully I haven't bricked this bike in my quest for a little more speed.

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
Did you try the badass dongle ? I’m in two minds about deristricting mine if I do I might do it with the dongle what was your firmware at when you tried it with the unlocker ?

Jcoote87

Sep 15, 2019
Australia
When I dropped the bike off, I played the “I’m innocent your Homer” card. Nothing has been mentioned about the FW. So fingers crossed for when the new battery arrives.
I went through the same thing you did. But I brought the sm-pce02 cable to get the bike to power on again. I ended up with 2 cables and selling one if your interested

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
Did you try the badass dongle ? I’m in two minds about deristricting mine if I do I might do it with the dongle what was your firmware at when you tried it with the unlocker ?
I haven’t tried the dongle, however I’ve heard of a lot more with the dongle then that of the ST app. The app is also a lot cheaper

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
I haven’t tried the dongle, however I’ve heard of a lot more problems with the dongle then that of the ST app. The app is also a lot cheaper

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
I went through the same thing you did. But I brought the sm-pce02 cable to get the bike to power on again. I ended up with 2 cables and selling one if your interested
Thanks mate so did your bikes system lockup after the firmware downgrade? Just out of curiosity what symptoms did you experience? And how much are you wanting for the cable?

Jcoote87

Sep 15, 2019
Australia
Thanks mate so did your bikes system lockup after the firmware downgrade? Just out of curiosity what symptoms did you experience? And how much are you wanting for the cable?
It wouldn’t turn off then when I finally got it turned off I couldn’t power it up again. I had to plug the cable directly into the motor and upgrade the firmware on the motor.
I’m chasing $260 For the cable.

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
It wouldn’t turn off then when I finally got it turned off I couldn’t power it up again. I had to plug the cable directly into the motor and upgrade the firmware on the motor.
I’m chasing $260 For the cable.
Those symptoms sounds the same as mine. I’ll think about the cable and let you know. Cheers

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Do you need STunlocker (or similar) to change the region? Or can you do that via the ETube app?
Etube lets you change some of the basic power configurations for the assist modes and update the firmware.

Stunlocker lets you do the adjust but, for me, was easier to use and connected more consistently.

If you upgrade the licence you can then also change the region to US 32kph

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
Ok no worries
Hi jcoote. My bike shop is still not having any luck getting my bike to turn on. I’ve told them to updated the firmware via the cable & computer. But they’re telling me that they can’t do it that way until they can get the motor to turn on. Does this sound right to you?

Jcoote87

Sep 15, 2019
Australia
I removed the the 2 or 3 plugs from the top of the motor and plugged the cable into the motor and re-updated the firmware with my laptop

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
I just used my iPhone to downgrade my E-8000 from 4.7.1 to 4.6.1.
Test ride, everything is fine, everything works as normal.
Then I used my Fire tablet to downgrade from 4.6.1 to 4.3.2.
Test ride, everything is fine, everything works as normal.
Thanks Raine. Maybe that would be a better way to downgrade the FW, by doing it in two stages. However I don’t think I’ll have the confidence to be doing that either. Not within the foreseeable future anyway. But I never say never, so who knows. ?

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I’m not 100% sure what caused the battery to fail. I had done about 800kms of flawless riding, up until the time I downgraded the FW. Then a sub 1km ride and the battery failed..coincidence..who knows.
When I get the bike back I won’t downgrade the FW again and just put up with the inaccuracy of the speedo.
Sounds smart to me. Out of curiosity, how far off is your speedometer?

glovemtb77

Aug 2, 2020
A mate had the same issue with the latest firmware on the E8000. Bricked the bike and had to buy the SM-BCR2 cable to connect to PC and force latest firmware back onto bike. It seems the latest E8000 firmware is clever and won’t let you downgrade without bricking your bike.
Might have to wait until someone figures out how to manipulate the latest firmware...
Hah, well not hah at all, but Shim learned that from Google. Google bricks your phone now with the latest OS if you try and downgrade it to a stable version. (if buggy and crappy like they often are..and everyone used to root their phones and go back to previous O.S.) It is f*&king stupid it is our stuff and doing sh&*t like that is just plain dirty. Yea, I get why they would not want you to go back but it is like Windows or Apple if you decide to downgrade (but they have never bricked your PC if you decided to rollback!)
I already have the Sm-Bcr2 from my Di2 builds, so I can use that with StepsE8000 bike that is coming to do the firmware updates ? (I use it to do fw updates on my di2 system) Reading too many stories about sucky bluetooth connection bricking bikes. (Only read one and guess what, that is scary enough. Seen too many sorry bluetooth layers on all sorts of devices so...)

Last edited:

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
It is f*&king stupid it is our stuff and doing sh&*t like that is just plain dirty. Yea, I get why they would not want you to go back but it is like Windows or Apple if you decide to downgrade (but they have never bricked your PC if you decided to rollback!)

You obviously have no idea what a software license is LOL

I already have the Sm-Bcr2 from my Di2 builds, so I can use that with StepsE8000 bike that is coming to do the firmware updates ? Reading too many stories about sucky bluetooth connection bricking bikes. (Only read one and guess what, that is scary enough. Seen too many sorry bluetooth layers on all sorts of devices so...)

You can use whatever method you want (Shimano PC link, Shimano app over Bluetooth) to install the firmware on STEPS systems, whatever you feel more comfortable with.

TheTechAudiophile

Aug 8, 2020
Shropshire
Thanks Raine. Maybe that would be a better way to downgrade the FW, by doing it in two stages. However I don’t think I’ll have the confidence to be doing that either. Not within the foreseeable future anyway. But I never say never, so who knows. ?
So did you manage to get the bike working again?
Was it just the battery?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Hah, well not hah at all, but Shim learned that from Google. Google bricks your phone now with the latest OS if you try and downgrade it to a stable version. (if buggy and crappy like they often are..and everyone used to root their phones and go back to previous O.S.) It is f*&king stupid it is our stuff and doing sh&*t like that is just plain dirty. Yea, I get why they would not want you to go back but it is like Windows or Apple if you decide to downgrade (but they have never bricked your PC if you decided to rollback!)
I already have the Sm-Bcr2 from my Di2 builds, so I can use that with StepsE8000 bike that is coming to do the firmware updates ? (I use it to do fw updates on my di2 system) Reading too many stories about sucky bluetooth connection bricking bikes. (Only read one and guess what, that is scary enough. Seen too many sorry bluetooth layers on all sorts of devices so...)
yes, people have been complaining of these things for years. I modify my own windows systems and andr01d phones - they think they have a right to all our personal data too. In a way, we don't own these things - they are almost like a lease; they maintain some control over what they sell us. It is a shit system. It would be awesome if there was an open source firmware for our bikes :ROFLMAO: - but then they have the warranty card to play :oops:

Jessiejames1108

Nov 3, 2020
Sonoma, Ca
I’m not 100% sure what caused the battery to fail. I had done about 800kms of flawless riding, up until the time I downgraded the FW. Then a sub 1km ride and the battery failed..coincidence..who knows.
When I get the bike back I won’t downgrade the FW again and just put up with the inaccuracy of the speedo.
Can you help me figure out how to downgrade the firmware version? I got the zip files from Vadl at ST Unlocker but I can’t seem to get it to work from my pc via iPhone. I’m not super savvy on a computer to begin with so I’m pretty sure I’m not understanding how to use the ifunbox like in the directions. Any help or input would really be appreciated. I lived using the ST Unlocker to adjust my trail and eco settings but since I upgraded the firmware with the E-TUBE app I can’t do anything. The E-TUBE app doesn’t even let me change anything like advertised. It tells me to check and make sure a wire wasn’t disconnected. What a headache!

04B9B8A3-F098-4F9C-8857-D52CBCB353E8.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles