Shimano E8000 ST Unlocker..now bike doesn't work

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
Hi all

I recently downloaded the ST Unlocker app to change the speed limit settings on my E8000 motor.
I followed the instructions that was provided from ST Unlocker to downgrade my firmware to and earlier version. This part all appeared to go seamlessly, I then opened the ST app to change the speed limits, again all appears perfectly fine. After resetting the limits I went for a quick test ride (about 1km), once again everything was working okay. Now here's where the problems started to happen, no matter what I did I couldn't turn the battery off. Hold the on/off switch for 1 second...nothing. Hold the on/off switch for 5 seconds..nothing. I then opened the ST app and the motor turned off, great...so I thought. Now, no matter what i do I can't turn the motor on. I've disconnected the battery from the bike for a considerable length of time to no avail.

Does anyone on here have any tips or tricks I could try before I take the bike to the LBS for repairs.

Hopefully I haven't bricked this bike in my quest for a little more speed.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
1. When you attempt a firmware downgrade, it has nothing to do with the battery; it's a firmware downgrade for the DU-E8000 drive unit only.

2. Firmware downgrade is risky, and requires a really strong, stable, and uninterrupted Bluetooth connection to the E-Bike. Even something like the screen dimming halfway through can affect the process.

3. FYI Firmware downgrade info was removed when the STUnlocker app was released. You're talking about a previous version STEPSUnlocker that had some downgrade info.

First thing I'd try is use E-Tube and see if you can reinstall the current Firmware.

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
Thanks for your response Raine,

I was somewhat aware of the risks involved with the firmware downgrade, so I was being extremely cautious during the procedure. It took about 5 minutes to complete and by all accounts worked perfectly....well obviously not :(

The ST Unlocker app & licence was purchased on Sunday (13.10.19) however it would not let me adjust the speed settings. I emailed ST Unlocker and they forwarded me instructions on how to downgrade the firmware with the appropriate zip files and instructions.

Unfortunately I can't use the E-Tube app, as I can't turn on the bike to access the Bluetooth connection. I think i'll have to visit my LBS so they can connect via a SM-BCR2 cable and come clean with what I have done, then wait for the lecture as to why I shouldn't have messed with the factory settings.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Thanks for your response Raine,

I was somewhat aware of the risks involved with the firmware downgrade, so I was being extremely cautious during the procedure. It took about 5 minutes to complete and by all accounts worked perfectly....well obviously not :(

The ST Unlocker app & licence was purchased on Sunday (13.10.19) however it would not let me adjust the speed settings. I emailed ST Unlocker and they forwarded me instructions on how to downgrade the firmware with the appropriate zip files and instructions.

Unfortunately I can't use the E-Tube app, as I can't turn on the bike to access the Bluetooth connection. I think i'll have to visit my LBS so they can connect via a SM-BCR2 cable and come clean with what I have done, then wait for the lecture as to why I shouldn't have messed with the factory settings.

I know you don't want to hear this now but you should've just gone with a destination & circumference change, that would've given you what you need and all on the latest firmware!

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
Thanks Horspwr

I had done it that way at first, but was hoping to have the flexibility of leaving ECO @ 25km to maximize battery range , Trail @ 35km for that little extra on the trails & Boost @ 45km just to showoff. Also by changing the circumference it gives an inaccurate speedometer reading.

I always seem to push the limits of things & my ability, you'd think i'd learn. But then again where would fun and adventure be in that.

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
A mate had the same issue with the latest firmware on the E8000. Bricked the bike and had to buy the SM-BCR2 cable to connect to PC and force latest firmware back onto bike. It seems the latest E8000 firmware is clever and won’t let you downgrade without bricking your bike.
Might have to wait until someone figures out how to manipulate the latest firmware...

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
A mate had the same issue with the latest firmware on the E8000. Bricked the bike and had to buy the SM-BCR2 cable to connect to PC and force latest firmware back onto bike. It seems the latest E8000 firmware is clever and won’t let you downgrade without bricking your bike.
Might have to wait until someone figures out how to manipulate the latest firmware...

It's possible. The Shimano release notes for the most recent 4.7.1 firmware just say:

- Bug fixes for the cadence sensor error.
- Bug fixes when connecting with SC-E6100/SC-E7000/EW-EN100, that shows the battery level as 0.

...but they are not obligated to mention anything about disabling FW downgrades.

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
Thanks Dan63 that’s very kind of you.
I’m located in the Coorparoo area. However I’ve dropped the bike off to the bike shop this arrvo (with my tail between my legs) and awaiting the outcome.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Thanks Dan63 that’s very kind of you.
I’m located in the Coorparoo area. However I’ve dropped the bike off to the bike shop this arrvo (with my tail between my legs) and awaiting the outcome.
Just up the road. Oh well. Let me know if you need it at any stage

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
Did you get this issue resolved? I am looking at using the unlocker myself so any tips would be well received.(y)
My LBS has rung me to say that the battery had died & are waiting on a new one to be delivered under warranty ?. Now was this just a coincidence that the battery died after loading the older firmware... who knows!!
My recommendation would be download the app, change the region to US & change wheel circumference to 1300mm. This will give you about 42kph.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
So to be clear - it wasn't the app at all.

For true speed modification I would run 4.3.2. With 4.3.2 I have correct speed reading and correct wheel circumference and I have my Boost setting "limited" to 48kph :cool:

sp.jpg

ian6354

Jun 27, 2019
North Yorkshire
I’m have no connection to the STUnlocker guys but I think the app is great. I didn’t want to risk messing with earlier FW versions though and stuck to a region change.
Is it as simple as that, change the region and the limit lifts?
Do you still have full functionality ie configure assistance levels and correct speed distance indications?

Reactions: Bis

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
So to be clear - it wasn't the app at all.

For true speed modification I would run 4.3.2. With 4.3.2 I have correct speed reading and correct wheel circumference and I have my Boost setting "limited" to 48kph :cool:

View attachment 20236
I’m not 100% sure what caused the battery to fail. I had done about 800kms of flawless riding, up until the time I downgraded the FW. Then a sub 1km ride and the battery failed..coincidence..who knows.
When I get the bike back I won’t downgrade the FW again and just put up with the inaccuracy of the speedo.

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
Do you still have full functionality ie configure assistance levels and correct speed distance indications?
Yes very simple to adjust these settings. Assistance levels are still adjustable within the ST Unlocker app and is very easy to adjust. If you just change the region to US your speedometer will read accurately, however if you decrease your wheel circumstance size within the app, it will then display incorrectly. i.e. speedo will read 32kph where your actual speed will be closer to 42kph.

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
And I have found him more than helpful & professional even though it is by far the cheapest way to alter the Steps motor, nothing comes close in terms of price & it has worked like a charm for me (y)
Hi guys. I agree the app is an easy way for someone to make some minor changes to their bikes settings for a very small investment. I simply started this thread to ask if others had experienced the same symptoms when they downgraded their FW and to inform others of my experiences. If I had my time again would I download the ST Unlocker app... sure would. Will I downgrade the FW again..no thanks.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA

ian6354

Jun 27, 2019
North Yorkshire
Yes very simple to adjust these settings. Assistance levels are still adjustable within the ST Unlocker app and is very easy to adjust. If you just change the region to US your speedometer will read accurately, however if you decrease your wheel circumstance size within the app, it will then display incorrectly. i.e. speedo will read 32kph where your actual speed will be closer to 42kph.
Thanks ??

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I use a GPS watch for speed info. I'm never really that interested in it anyway when riding. Use it more of a datalogger..Annoying though if you have an inaccurate guage in front of you though..!

Did your LBS give you a talking to??

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire

Yes, just flick the switch. It’s a minor change but makes all the difference.

I’m on the latest FW 4.7.1. STUnlocker feels like a factory app.

Last edited:

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
I use a GPS watch for speed info. I'm never really that interested in it anyway when riding. Use it more of a datalogger..Annoying though if you have an inaccurate guage in front of you though..!

Did your LBS give you a talking to??
When I dropped the bike off, I played the “I’m innocent your Homer” card. Nothing has been mentioned about the FW. So fingers crossed for when the new battery arrives.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles