Shimano E8000 range issue and strange behavior

Shay_lin

Dec 31, 2020
Israel
Hi all,
I have begun to experience some problems with the Shimano E8000 on my Merida e one sixty 2019.
First of all the rage in general seems to have shortened: last ride was 36.4 km (22 mi) with elevation gain of 431m (1414ft) and more the half of the ride was XC. I used 'trail' assistance most of the ride with high cadence to save battery life. Does this sounds 'legit'?
Another issue was the way the ride ended: I had about 1 km left and I had one red line in the display. I switched to 'boost', the range showed me 7 km. i paddled for couple of seconds and the Rage dropped to 0 and I had only 'eco'.
All the software versions are up to date, even the battery.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Being a fat bastard, I'd be lucky to get 36km on my 2019 e160. So it sounds fine to me. There's so many things that can affect range right down to tyre pressures and compounds that it's sometimes hard to pinpoint if it's really a battery issue. What's new on the bike and could that be having an impact?

Gordon

Shay_lin

Dec 31, 2020
Israel
At the moment I am only aspiring to be a 'fat bastard' at 85k (187lb)...
Only the rear tyre is relatively new but all the issue above started before i have replaced it.

Shay

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Being a fat bastard, I'd be lucky to get 36km on my 2019 e160. So it sounds fine to me. There's so many things that can affect range right down to tyre pressures and compounds that it's sometimes hard to pinpoint if it's really a battery issue. What's new on the bike and could that be having an impact?

Gordon

Of course it does matter how much you weigh, but what also matters is which tires you have and how much packing you have with you.

a friend I ride with has exactly the same bike as me and he rides miceheline enduro tires and I ride maxxis assegai and he rides at least a few km longer than me on 1 battery.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
The Stunlocker app shows battery health and it's free to download.
You can also alter the mode settings more than with the Shimano app, which only offers high, medium and low.

However, it sounds like your battery is defective.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles